THE NATIVE AMERICAN PROJECT 56K Beware Tons of pics!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DistortedDesigns, 3 Feb 2005.

1. DistortedDesigns

DistortedDesigns What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

OPENING:
    Hi, everyone. I would like to say at how much I like this forum and how informative it has been. Well I reciently just got into computer modding. I am a software artist and I have been in computers for almost 10years but I miss working with my hands. I had seen some modding done but not to the extent that I had ran into. Some of them were just awsome. I have a garage full of tools that were just begging to go use. I decided that it was time for me to give it a try. So this is my first one. Ohh I tend to go a little overboard with projects.. :dremel: but it is just in my nature... :idea:

PROJECT:
    I wanted to make something that I had never seen from the endless amounts of photos that I looked thru also needed to fit the motife of my house, which is Native American. I have some pottery, paintings, a few things. I thought it would be cool. I wanted the outside of my computer to look like stone or a cave wall type thing. I wanted native american designs cut out of the top and sides to see in the computer.

Log:
    I decided on making the designs of the front side to look like a tattoo that I have. It is a medicine wheel (looks like a plus sign with a circle around it), two kokopelli's facing eachother with a fire in the center. On the back side I have a large basic lizard kinda like the sobe drink lizard. For the top I am cutting out a large window so you can see down into the computer and I will light it and etch a navtive american bear with heart line thru it in the window.

I sanded the paint off which took a while....

I layed out and cut the designs with a dremel.... uhhhh that took me about 10 hours and 25 heavy duty discs to do... I decided to use a skill saw for some of the straighter parts. Make sure to use a 21 blade (21 teeth per inch). Any less teeth and it will grab.. which I found out the hard way... :roll:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I had to figure out how to give a real rock texture. I figured I could use a fine mesh (stiff) and some bondo. I found some 1/4" mesh at lowes for real cheap and got 10' x 2' of it. Bondo is much cheaper at Autozone by like 30% or so. Bend the mesh with a hammer and a stick. Put the stick underneith the mesh and hit the mesh. It will give you some nice bends and move the stick around. Put a coat of duct tape on the back side of the mesh. Leaving the outter edge of the screen with no bondo, about 1/2" so the epoxy will have something to bond to. The duct tape is for the bondo, it will fall thru 1/4" holes in the screen. Epoxy the corners of the screen and a few spots to your case. I would use a 5min epoxy and it is important to have a fairly rough surface so make sure you are sanded with a rough grit sandpaper like 90 grit automotive. Once you put the bondo on clear out cause that crap stinks... BAD!! Is really bad :shock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bondo looks like cake icing at first... so I had to do a lot of hand sanding to get the look that I wanted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DistortedDesigns

After all of that I cut out all of the plexy glass that I would need for this project. I had to etch out the bear for the top window. I went and got the router attachment for my dremmel and 2 routing bits (thick and thin). That is the abbrivated version.. I had to teach myself how to etch but this was my first attempt. I redid the bear with the small router attachement. It looks alot better now.
    [​IMG]

Now on to painting... Thanks to Mashie and his asteroid project I figured out the drybrushing technique to get a real nice looking rock look. I had to paint the frame and the power supply... after I had already modded the power supply with a really cool window just to find out that my case mounts the psu UPSIDEDOWN..... :cry: so I did a bunch of crap for nothing.... the solution was to take the lid off and put a stock one back on it. I painted it the same as the frame and sleeved it. This is what it looked like before.
    [​IMG]

I will post pics soon of the new stuff.

11-03-04
    I repainted the sides and top cause I didn't like the results I got the first time. The sides look more like pewter instead of stone. I like it a lot better. I just did the bondo for the front of the computer cause I couldn't decide what I was going to do.

Also check out my website and let me know what you think. It is still underconstruction but will be finished soon.

http://www.distorteddesigns.com/modding

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. DistortedDesigns

My etching skills are getting better and I will light all of the plexiglas by mounting leds in the end. Make a small notch and hot glue it in place. Here is a pic of my etching skills and how I will wire it. I did this project for my 8 year old brother for halloween.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. DistortedDesigns

Here is my tester power supply I made to be able to test leds and ccfls and fans.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. DistortedDesigns

Hey everyone here are the final pics of The Native American Project.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you like them! I had 50+ hours of work and about $100 + USD without the cost of the case. Once I get the money together I will be starting project "BORG". Guess what kiddies it will be for sale.... but it won't be cheap.

6. SvampSoppa

SvampSoppa What's a Dremel?

mad project dude
    awsome design
    something very diffirent from the rest of the modding here

but i whanna se more about the interior since youv done all outside

keep on modding :dremel:

7. Unixmonkey

Unixmonkey What's a Dremel?

nice work, fellow indianapolis native.

8. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

That is wonderful. Really 'stony' feel. Although I think the lights don't go well with the theme.

9. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

Wow, excellent job with the bondo. Heh, is that bear really a native American design?

I love those people on the sides. They just have a certain... feel to them that you rarely see.

10. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

dun u have ne pics of how the case looked before mod?

11. DistortedDesigns

Yeah the bear is a native american bear. The arrow in the the middle is the heart line. Native Americans look at the bear as a symbol of stregnth, and of a warriors heart. The design vary's from tribe to tribe but is pretty much the same thru out Native Americana.

12. DistortedDesigns

The case was just a plain grey case with no, nothing on it. I did everything for the case.

13. Leevi

Leevi What's a Dremel?

Unique theme man. Loose the ligths and it will be perfect.

14. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

I love this mod. And most of all, the 2 kokopelli cutouts on the side.As someone said before, the bondo work really does make the case look like it was carved in stone. The first time i saw that bear i thought the arrow was it's digestive tract. In one end and out the other... :lol: i couldnt resist...

15. Longtalltechsan

Longtalltechsan What's a Dremel?

Nevermind what he said about the lights, I think it looks great. You did an awesome job.

16. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Nice mods! Great work.

i think the centered watermark bother, a little, to evalute well the pics.

17. MRKIKKOMAN5645

MRKIKKOMAN5645 What's a Dremel?

KICKASS!! :clap: :clap: :thumb:

18. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Wow, terrific job. You did a very good job with the bondo and all. You think you can come over and repair a few dents and rust hole in my car for me?! :D

19. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Great job! I bet those panels are a bit heavy now. Are you a native, or do you just like the art? My wife is native, thats why I ask.

20. Yaik

Yaik What's a Dremel?

Awesome work there..... 1 question, how long did it take for the thick areas of bondo to completly dry off?

Keep it up. :rock: