bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Feb 2005, 16:33   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
512MB GeForce 6800 Ultra pictured

We have just come across some pictures of the latest 512MB GeForce 6800 Ultra that we talked about at the end of last week. You can find that discussion in this thread.

It appears that the video card is not just a Gainward-only technology - from the looks of the pictures it seems to be an NVIDIA reference board, however this is just our speculation. It is also worth noting that there is a new power layout at the end of the board, much different to previous versions of the GeForce 6800 series on both AGP and PCI-Express.

There is also memory on the back as we discussed last week - interestingly this is not cooled. There are some fancy heatsinks added to the card; the one close to the power connector on the front of the card looks to be cooling the warmest part of the new power regulation layout. At the moment, we are unsure what the ones on the back are cooling right now - we can only guess that it is related to power circuitry again. Notice that there are less capcitors, less chance of them breaking off, or being broken off in the post.

We'll bring you more information when we get hold of it - for now, enjoy the pictures:

UPDATE: I was actually shown these images in an MSN conversation, but not linked to their source. For more pictures, please check this thread on Guru3D

Last edited by Tim S; 28th Feb 2005 at 20:15.
Tim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2005, 17:12   #2
planki

planki has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
very nice indeedy!!
Old 28th Feb 2005, 17:25   #3
Rufus-Seal

I want a card like that .. But who is better?:
the 6800ULTRA 512MB ore Ati x850xt (PE?) 512 MB?
Old 28th Feb 2005, 17:38   #4
-Xp-
Hypermodder

-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.
You need to get two......in SLI....and barracade your house while you're at it.
-Xp- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2005, 18:13   #5
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Xp-
You need to get two......in SLI....and barracade your house while you're at it.
Yep, because I'll be dropping by, that's for sure
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2005, 18:14   #6
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehed
Yep, because I'll be dropping by, that's for sure
heh
Old 28th Feb 2005, 19:06   #7
automagsrock
Ultramodder

automagsrock has yet to learn the way of the Dremelautomagsrock has yet to learn the way of the Dremelautomagsrock has yet to learn the way of the Dremelautomagsrock has yet to learn the way of the Dremelautomagsrock has yet to learn the way of the Dremelautomagsrock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is it just me or is the NVIDIA board longer then the ATi board??

My computer sucks
automagsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2005, 19:15   #8
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrock
Is it just me or is the NVIDIA board longer then the ATi board??
yes, NVIDIA's boards are typically longer than ATI's - this one is no exception, it actually looks longer than a 256MB GeForce 6800 Ultra.
Old 28th Feb 2005, 19:26   #9
blknoel
Supermodder

blknoel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
slightly off topic , but I think you have mentioned "long" :

http://pcweb.mycom.co.jp/photo/artic...mages/007l.jpg

PS: its a Mac version though
Old 28th Feb 2005, 20:09   #10
Kipman725
When did I get a custom title!?!

Kipman725 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
aught to have seen a voodoo 6000 that thing is so big (with 4gpus) that is so big that the hard disk rack has to be removed. /off topic when nvidia bought voodoo up they aquired some working voodoo 6000's which aparently they keep in their headquarters *drool*
Kipman725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2005, 20:12   #11
DeathAwaitsU
I'm Back :D

DeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by blknoel
slightly off topic , but I think you have mentioned "long" :

http://pcweb.mycom.co.jp/photo/artic...mages/007l.jpg

PS: its a Mac version though
Wtf, whats so special about that card? bigz, anyone?? .

Death
Old 28th Feb 2005, 20:45   #12
bynary
What's a Dremel?

bynary has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What's so special is...

That card was specifically designed to run the Apple 30" Cinema Display. Here's the link to Apple's site. Here's a Google search on it too. The 30" Cinema Display requires dual GPUs: one to run the top half of the screen, and one to run the bottom half. See a 30" in person, it's quite impressive.
bynary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2005, 21:10   #13
Mr T
4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Mr T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It seams he dude from Guru3d put it up on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WD2V

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz - 4Gb Corsair 6400C4 - Abit IP35 - 256mb nVidia 7900GS
Corsair HX 520w PSU - Pioneer DVR-212 DVD-RW - 74Gb Western Digital Raptor - 320Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2005, 21:20   #14
insanarchist
What's a Dremel?

insanarchist has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmmm, that's interesting. I call shenannigans!
insanarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2005, 21:40   #15
Zephyr
Go V-Boy, Go!

Zephyr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T
It seams he dude from Guru3d put it up on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WD2V
Item Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

I may have to drop by this guys humble abode and...examine that card .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bynary
That card was specifically designed to run the Apple 30" Cinema Display. Here's the link to Apple's site. Here's a Google search on it too. The 30" Cinema Display requires dual GPUs: one to run the top half of the screen, and one to run the bottom half. See a 30" in person, it's quite impressive.
I don't believe it requires dual GPU's, just two DVI outputs. Note it says that the 30" display will run on the Mac version of the ATi 9700 for G4 sytems, plus I know of a few people that run that display on single-GPU desktop systems. Still, was looking at this beast about a month ago. If only I had a couple thousand dollars to throw at this thing .
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2005, 21:51   #16
JADS
Et arma et verba vulnerant

JADS has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bynary
No it most certainly doesn't

What it does need is a dual-link DVI socket, i.e one with two TDMS links providing effectively double the bandwidth of a single 165MHz TDMS link. The word you are looking for is expensive.
[AMD A64 2800+ + Zalman 7700][MSI K8N Neo Platinum][1GB Corsair PC3200][Leadtek Geforce 6600GT][Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB + Maxtor Diamond Max Plus10 200GB + Maxtor Diamond Max16 120GB][Plextor PX-716 DVD-RW + 2x Plextor Premium 52x32x52 CD-RW + 16x Samsung DVD][Coolermaster ATC-201 BXT][Antec TruePower 430][Dell 2405FPW + Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070u][Logitech MX1000][Matias Tactile Pro][Griffin Technology PowerMate Black]
Email Me
JADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2005, 23:15   #17
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADS
No it most certainly doesn't

What it does need is a dual-link DVI socket, i.e one with two TDMS links providing effectively double the bandwidth of a single 165MHz TDMS link. The word you are looking for is expensive.
I think he meant dual DVI's that were able to run as a pair, rather than dual GPU's. All of this SLI and multi tasking does get a bit confusing from time to time
Old 28th Feb 2005, 23:24   #18
RotoSequence
Lazy Lurker

RotoSequence has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Impressive technology, but holy shlimoly thats a bigass card

I pity the fool that trys to put than in a SFF case
Old 28th Feb 2005, 23:58   #19
unclean
SMP obsessive

unclean has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmm, most dodgy stuff. And it does look a lot like the Quadro card.
i7 920 @ 4GHz 6GB Tracer 4870X2 || Dual Xeon X5340 @ 3GHz 12GB FBDIMM 4TB RAID5 w/27" Dell 2707WFP || Dual 1.6GHz LV Xeons @ 3.2GHz || Dual Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2350MHz || Dual Athlon MP2400+ || Dual Celeron 366 @ 550MHz
unclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2005, 00:01   #20
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclean
Hmm, most dodgy stuff. And it does look a lot like the Quadro card.
yes, it does have similarities. If you read through the thread on Guru3D, some of the screenshots show it is either a 512MB Quadro running a modified 6800 Ultra bios, or it is a 512MB 6800 Ultra. It could really be either - we will have to wait and see what they look like at CeBIT.