bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Feedback & Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2005, 22:49   #1
:: kna ::
POCOYO!

:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Official New Design Thread

All,

This thread is for the purpose of bugs, comments and constructive ideas for the new site. We wish to keep everything in one place to make it easier to read and digest.

However, please be aware of the following:

1. We will NOT be changing any design elements for the forseeable future. If a comment comes up that we like, we may consider it in time, however this layout has been the product of many months of research and development and is very much our absolute final release.

2. No blatant slagging off or 'I'm taking my ball home' posts. We appreciate it might not to be to everyones taste, however no design will please everyone. If you do not have anything helpful to say, do not say it at all.

3. This is the only thread we want to have feedback in, other threads will be closed without question to keep things neat.

4. If you have any questions about the design or why something has been done, feel free to post in here and we will respond accordingly. We realise this is a radical change and have no problem explaining our reasoning.

5. Embrace and analyse change, but do not fear or hide from it.

Thanks for your support and continued readership
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:12   #2
Sc0rian
Here comes the farmer

Sc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run Crysis
well done bit-tech.

Glad forums are back.

- S
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:12   #3
SJH
Ultramodder

SJH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like what I can see so far

I wouldn't mind seeing the back of that banner near the top of each page though. That flashing yellow text in the red box is extremely annoying

-Sam
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:12   #4
bengaskell
Banned

bengaskell has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sweet site. I think the new design really brings everything together in uniform. Plus there are more colours than at Glastonbury .

Keep up the work.

BG

HERE BEFORE MATTY SMITH

Last edited by bengaskell; 2nd May 2005 at 23:19.
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:12   #5
dom_
--->

dom_ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
/me hides from all the new stuff and shakes
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:13   #6
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
mixed bag on the design. The site's sort of lost it's original look, sort of taken on more of a cheeky cheapish UK magazine feel to it. I like some aspects, but things like the increased ads, i do not.
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:15   #7
Jumeira_Johnny
16032 - High plains drifter

Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.
Wow, am I the first to post here? I think it looks kick ass. The new front page, minus the flashing ads, looks really tight and professional. Hats off to the staff. I was surprised at how much I was jonesing for my BT fix.

Edit: in the time it took me to write this, 3 people posted
Edit 2: make that 5 people

I'm just starting to notice all the little color bits here and there. cool.

Edit 3: looks like we're averaging about a post a minute here. crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayinBlack View Post
But I do remember the days when we didn't all run around holding our asses because butthurt. And I miss them.

Last edited by Jumeira_Johnny; 2nd May 2005 at 23:24.
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:15   #8
DeathAwaitsU
I'm Back :D

DeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_
/me hides from all the new stuff and shakes
/Joins (im not 2 sure on this facelift ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulatin
The site's sort of lost it's original look, sort of taken on more of a cheeky cheapish UK magazine feel to it.
I thought that, when i first saw it i thought i'd mistyped the url, then when i realised i hadn't i thought bit had gone But after a quck read found out this was v4.

Death
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:15   #9
BioSniper
I Mod, Therefore I Own

BioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
From a personal standpoint its nice to see a new layout but I think, for me, its far too bright as I actually have a hard time reading black-on-white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
Frankly this thread has become a bunch of methed up old women in a hat store.
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:15   #10
smoguzbenjamin
"That guy"

smoguzbenjamin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm glad enough that bit-tech's back, don't care what colours It wasn't till today that I realised how much I like 'hanging out' at the BiT Guess you don't value things properly 'till they're gone
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:15   #11
jezmck
I Mod, Therefore I Own

jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
from my thread which I started an hour earlier than this:*

Hi to all,
well I like the new look, though it seemed a bit too main-stream at first.

Only criticism is that on the home page the category sections and the ads look a little too similar.

Advertising on the right in the forums is good, very happy with that.

why 'wiki'?

Interested to see other comments...

* - not being bitchy, just saying...

edit: sweet, just checked: you've got the 'thanks for modding your post' thingy!
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:16   #12
Burned_Alive
Supermodder

Burned_Alive has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like the new design for the homepage, but hate the new style, colour and design of the forum (And surroundings) definitely preferred the old style. The new style actually puts me off reading the forum.
Coolmaster ATC-201C-SX2 Dual IIyama ProLite E431-SB 17" TFTs

Last edited by Burned_Alive; 2nd May 2005 at 23:26.
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:17   #13
yodasarmpit
No longer the other Brett.

yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.
Main site took a little getting used to, seemed to be a bit scattered at first, but within a few minutes realised there was a better structure to the whole thing.
A bit more colourful, maybe too much.

As for the forum, I use the lighter theme at work anyway so not much change for me.
The ad bar on the right isn't intrusive enough to bother me.
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:18   #14
RTT
#parp

RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJH
I like what I can see so far

I wouldn't mind seeing the back of that banner near the top of each page though. That flashing yellow text in the red box is extremely annoying

-Sam
We've complained about this already, we're hoping for a replacement soon
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:18   #15
:: kna ::
POCOYO!

:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.:: kna :: is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Yeah, everyone bear in mind there is also a 'Dark' theme (selectable below) which may help people who have problems reading black on white.
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:18   #16
Nath
Your appeal has already been filed.

Nath has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Erm I think the main site's design looks better, seems faster too for some reason. But I really preferred the old forum skin to the newer one(s). Just my opinion, but I suppose it's an 'it'll grow on me' kind of issue.
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:20   #17
RTT
#parp

RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSniper
From a personal standpoint its nice to see a new layout but I think, for me, its far too bright as I actually have a hard time reading black-on-white.
there's a darker (using old school bit-tech blue/lavendar) selectable at the bottom left of every forum page
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:21   #18
Highland3r
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looks good guys
Light theme is the best of the 2, just too much purple in the darker one.
New site design is good too, colours take a bit of getting used to, but navigation is a whole lot better now.

The right hand add bar appears to invade some threads though
(http://www.drunken-student.co.uk/bittech/V4-missing.JPG) this may be a firefox issue, havent tested in IE since its the spawn of the devil...
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:21   #19
ajack
rox

ajack has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Gnoes, I will have to fiddle with my avatar a little.

Like the lighter colour of the forums though, makes a change

select * from pants;
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:21   #20
DeathAwaitsU
I'm Back :D

DeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeathAwaitsU has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTT
there's a darker (using old school bit-tech blue/lavendar) selectable at the bottom left of every forum page
Tis not quite the same tho .

Death