1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Lag driving me insane! What's my bottleneck?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by smoguzbenjamin, 3 May 2005.

1. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Hey all,

I'm running an AMD64 s754 2800+, 1GB pc3200, and a 6600GT, and on every game I can play full detail no problem, but there's an ever so slight lag-problem in every game I play. It's not so bad on some games like HL-2 but in GTA Vice City I get lag every so many seconds that it's annoying. It might only be a few milliseconds of lag but it's disturbing my gaming experience and it's a pain. I know my GPU is fine, but I'm wondering if s754 might be my undoing. Or do I just want a faster CPU?

Thanks in advance :D

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Sounds like it might be a driver issue. Try grabbing the latest drivers for your hardware (chipset/sound/gfx/etc..) and give that a go.

3. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Do the above first, but yeah it sounds like the s754 may be giving you greif.

4. smoguzbenjamin

I'm running the latest nForce drivers, and forceware 71.84, as 71.89 was crashing EXPERTool. I have a 6600GT with a really noisy fan so I need expertool to keep the noise acceptable. So far both Forceware drivers have the same problem. However, playing SWAT 4 showed no problems today. Bugger, sounds like I'll have to get a 2nd hand CRT (and thus no TFT) and get a 939 board. :(

edit: Double bugger, 939 is expensive! It'll cost me at least 250 euros for the mobo and proc alone! :waah: Looks like I'm stuck on 754 then.

Last edited: 3 May 2005
  5. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

this sounds like a memory access problem -

fire up the task manager, and shut down EVERYTHING that you can (except for explorer.exe and the svchost's) - especially virus scanners, hardware monitors, anything that accesses memory or the hard drive regularly.
    make sure DMA is enabled.
    do a full spybot and adaware scan.
    if you arent using it, turn off steam.
    for gta:vc, make sure vsynch is on. turn on the frame limiter in the video options. anything over 30fps in a gta game takes away from the overall feel.

oh ya, disk cleanup and defrag. regularly.

i run VC at 1280x768@32 and get a butter-smoth 30fps, no lags (except when entering/exiting buildings) on a xp 3000+ with 2x512mb corsair value and a 9600 pro with 6xfsaa and 16x aniso turned on.

6. dead_man

dead_man Confucious say: WTF???

doubt its the CPU causing you greif, iv got my 2.8 celeron with a 9200se playing it with no problems. the 754 is easily enuff to run the game.

either driver issue or accessing the game files

7. smoguzbenjamin

Hmm. This is a 3-week-old windows install I'm running off, I formatted the disk before that. I'll give defragging a try. However, It's now 1:30PM and I just got up so I'm gonna eat some breakfast first :D

Oh and one thing: :worried: What's DMA and how do I turn it on?

8. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

DMA = Direct Memory Access

Basically allows the computer component direct access to the memory without going through the Processor.

It could be drivers, i doub't it's your hardware as i have a very similar setup. The other thing you could to is try decresing your draw distance ro checking for any incompatabilityies between the geforce 6 series and vice city.

You can normally set DMA functions either through the system item in control panel or through your motherboards bios settings. Also i would check to make sure your, crap i can't remember but it involves your videocard, in the bios to the same size as your videocard unless it is a 64mb card then set it to double.

9. smoguzbenjamin

My AGP aperture is 128 MB, I'll take a look at those BIOS settings in a sec.... I'm copying some big files right now. I'll post (no pun intended :D ) back when I know more

10. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

k, and thanks for removing that brain fart i had, burning AGP Aperture into brain, crap now i don't know engrish.

11. Clarkey

Clarkey What's a Dremel?

I cant see it being your s754 setup, ive got a similar setup only with a barton mobile and I never have any problems. Sounds like drivers to me.

12. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

Have you tried 64MB? I have seen this make a difference on some systems.
    Strange as that seems :confused:

13. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

I was getting some seriously low framerates with the latest drivers and my 6600GT. I installed a slightly older version, I think 66.xx. Give that a go.

Last edited: 5 May 2005
  14. smoguzbenjamin

Hmm. I'm using one forceware revision back (71.84) so expertool works properly... And my games used to run fine with these drivers... EDIT: I think you meant forceware, you're talking about the videocard drivers right? Cos my mobo drivers are version 5.10 :)

I checked DMA and ran a speed test, I'm running my hdd at UDMA 133 (as it should be) but the speed test revealed my harddisk's a liar :blah: Burst is max around 107MB/s and sustained is no higher than 58MB/s. Bummer :p

15. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Don't delete the old ones when you update, keep the installers :)

I have tonnes of older versions, want me to send you v66.93? Add me to MSN and I can send it over.

16. smoguzbenjamin

I added ya, I hope this works :)

17. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

HDDs are like that. The external bus speed is usually nothing like the speed that the drive can read the platters at.

It's all just a marketing scam, show the big flashy numbers and hide the bottlenecks.

What drive is it you're using?

_C

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Wait a minute, wasn't there that problem for loads of people with the GTA engine before? I could've sworn i heard about a few people having problems with massive slices of lag every few seconds when they were playing GTA3. Maybe it's resurfaced with VC?

19. smoguzbenjamin

I'm using a Maxtor Diamondmax 9, 80GB version. And it's getting full :p

Krikkit, I haven't noticed the lag before, maybe it was there all along and I've got more demanding since the purchase of my 6600GT

20. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

If it's really full (i.e. less than 15% space free) that might be the problem. Try backing some stuff up. Also, there was a fix for some people (can't remember whether it was for GTA or GTA:VC) whereupon if you copied the music folder to the game folder on the HD, it didn't lag as much when you got in and out of cars. Might be worth a go (or a google).

Tags: