bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 27th Feb 2007, 12:36   #1
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
Acrylic: Flame Polishing & Bending

This is a video segment from our Ghost Rider Project. It focuses on how I made the custom acrylic flames for the chassis. Helpful if you ever wondered about Flame Polishing or bending Acrylic aka "Defyant Style"

I also open up some mod goodies and go over the current status of our prject towards the end.

Old 9th Mar 2007, 22:55   #2
l0cke
Minimodder

l0cke has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome, but I LOL'd when I saw you blowing on it!
l0cke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2007, 05:52   #3
Crazyglue
Multimodder

Crazyglue has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow, u use a blowtorch? i have never actually bent acrylic, but aren't you supposed to use a heat gun (aka hair dryer on crack)? lol
Core2Duo E6300 @ 3.1ghz | Gigabyte EP45T-UD3P | 2x2GB OCZ Reaper 1066 | 5-5-5-15 @ 1100mhz | Sapphire HD 3870 512mb @ 825/1200 | WD 200GB SATA, 500GB SATA, and seagate 1TB SATA | PC Power and Cooling 750w single 60A rail
Crazyglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2007, 07:21   #4
shotgunefx
Supermodder

shotgunefx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyglue
wow, u use a blowtorch? i have never actually bent acrylic, but aren't you supposed to use a heat gun (aka hair dryer on crack)? lol
Cool. Never did much with acrylic, but I've used a torch to shape ABS a couple times in a pinch or to prep polypropelene pieces for painting.
Old 8th Apr 2007, 15:54   #5
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyglue
hehe.. I couldn't resist
Old 22nd May 2010, 05:48   #6
bobisgod
Modder

bobisgod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Can you re-upload this? It sounds really interesting and I reeeaally want to see it!!
bobisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 00:46   #7
Unicorn
Uniform November India

Unicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisgod View Post
Can you re-upload this? It sounds really interesting and I reeeaally want to see it!!
The MNPC tech video is not available any more it seems, but this is a good demonstration of the proper technique for flame polishing cast acrylic. It works the same on thinner plexi edges:

"For every stalwart bit-tech-worthy tech out there, another 2 cretinous arse-scratchers are out there pulling your patches and reconfiguring your ****." - Krikkit
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 07:51   #8
NFC
What's a Dremel?

NFC has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is a great tutorial. I just want to add something though:

When you are using a torch to flame polish edges on 1/4" acrylic and lower, it is a a good idea to take two pieces of wood and clamp them flush on either side. Not only does this prevent warping, but it stops the edge from "curling" and becoming rounded. I employed this technique in my last few mods after struggling with said side effects...
Old 13th Aug 2010, 00:38   #9
LooseNeutral
Hypermodder

LooseNeutral has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Any good tutorials for bending acrylic around? In particular, dealing with different thicknesses and angles. Thanks
LooseNeutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2012, 12:49   #10
DanSonley
Multimodder

DanSonley has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wish id seen this sooner. i ruined my as project polishing plastic wrong. everyone things my product looks fine but i know that its not got that lovely high quality finish to the plastics...
DanSonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016, 13:19   #11
Bitwacker
C# forever

Bitwacker has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
The MNPC tech video is not available any more it seems, but this is a good demonstration of the proper technique for flame polishing cast acrylic. It works the same on thinner plexi edges:

The video is marked as private. How can we view it?

Tags
guide

View Mode