1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battlefield 2: Graphics and Gameplay

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 24 Jun 2005.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

Very Well Written!

Though some ranked servers are getting hammered bad, so i can't play now :(

3. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

On your apples to apples comparison at 1280x and 2xAA, I don't see quality settings referenced anywhere...?

4. The_Pope

doh - such are the pitfalls of still working past midnight. Medium detail was used - I'll add that back to the article

5. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Good good. But as is mentioned in the article, 1024 is the res most people will be using...so since you already recognize this, perhaps the best framerate graph would be the different cards at 1024x, 2xAA, and high quality? :) That sounds to me like the setting most people would WANT to run, and you could quickly identify whether your card is above or below that.

6. The_Pope

It's a toughie really: the BF games are pretty fast-paced kill 'em all type games. As such, most players would probably sacrifice some pretty grass for smoother gameplay. If we were talking about the difference between Low and Medium, then I would agree. But I'd suggest the benefits of 1280 over 1024 far outweigh pretty grass :D

TBH, Wil wrote the review and thinks 1024 is about right - he's in meetings all day, so isn't able to explain this position. Tim, bless his cotton socks, spent time this morning running a *second* set of figures (the ones you see) since I rejected the first set at the Editing stage because it was Apples vs Oranges and wasn't that helpful.

I suggested 1024, as per your logic, but he chose 1280: I guess anyone on a 17" TFT will favour their native resolution of 1280, and there won't be many CRT gamers who can't play at 1280... if you bench at 1024 you have TFT gamers interpolating / upscaling to fit their screen and 1024 isn't too crispy on a CRT either.

Yes, you could test both, but we have to draw a line *somewhere*: if Tim spends all day benchmarking BF2, he won't finish his review for a certain NDA that expires on Monday. Don't forget that each time we change resolution, there are FIVE different cards to swap in & out of the machine, and each benchmark is played very carefully, by hand, a total of five times to get a realistic, real-world gameplaying average. A 30-second timedemo this ain't.

You won't find many other game reviews that give you the technical & performance data we deliver, so if we haven't covered a setting you'd like to see, download the demo and try it out for yourself - there's often no better yardstick for judging a potential game purchase than the hands on ;)

7. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

apple and apples - at last a sensible way of displaying the performance on opposing cards.

Good article guys.

8. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Makes sense. :) I just figured that since you guys really gave a "recommended" resolution/setting, that would be what you tested for.
    Oooooooohhhh....What nda!? :D
    Now, now, Geoff...I've been here long enough that that type of comment isn't necessary! :) Was just making a suggestion. Honestly, though, I'm at work right now, so I can't download the demo. And I don't have 5 cards at home to swap in and out to evaluate whether I'd like to buy one of them, so I can't really do that, either. That's what I have you guys for!

9. adidas

adidas What's a Dremel?

On a more 'gameplay-oriented' note, I'm worried about forking out good money on a game where the ammount of fun will be directly linked to the 'good behaviour' of players. I didn't play WOW for that very reason, with griefers pretty much running (and ruining) the show.

So.. how is it like so far? Do players use tactics? Are there many TKers?

10. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

looks like I need an upgrade my monitor looks so crap at bellow its top res (1280x1024) so it looks like my 5950ultra might have some trouble doing that smothley at over low...

starts saving pennies for SFF Sli...

11. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Damn, I suppose my 9800 pro just isnt going to cut it anymore on my 19" CRT if I want to play this game, is it? :(

12. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

adidas - it's great not many tkers and loads of protection or ways to stop people tking anyway.. However it came out TODAY so only time will tell if this works.
    The good servers as usual will be good (eurogamer has a nice server..)
    Players using tactics is essential and no other game has the squad system plus VOIP for working together - buy it, damn good game (my preorder arrived yesterday :)

13. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

I run 1280 x 1024 all high settings with no AA or AAF, gives me ~40 FPS with my 9800 Pro flashed to XT. Only thing I dislike is the long loading time, it says i've updated my display settings each time I go onto a server :confused:

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

That must lag pretty badly.... I was getting hitching on a 7800gtx sli when all details were set to high.... I guess it depends on your definition of playable though.

the section used for the apples to apples comparison is relatively cpu limited on 7800gtx - i would expect 100fps+ at 1600x1200 too. it is not representative of 'real-world' game play, so do not take that as a settings guide - it's merely to show 'which is fastest' at the chosen setiings. 7800gtx will pull away when you increase details/graphics intensity.

// smart phone + stylo Cheesecake :baby:

Last edited: 24 Jun 2005
  15. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

I've been running the full game since monday at a lan, here are my results so far.

We tried to run a non dedicated server with 4 players on a evga 6800gt, 1gig mushkin 3200 and an athlon 64 3000, and it lags.

Then we ran a dedicated off of a duron ~1ish ghz, 512 pc2100, and a radeon 8500 ghetto card. ran it smooth as butter... then again we didn't have more than 6 people on at one time.

I can run this on low settings in single player mode, or on lan - 800x600 just fine on my setup - athlon 2000+, geforce 5600u, 512mb pc3200.

It would not run on the old geforce ti series because I think that they don't support direct x 9 or something.

Hope this helps some people

- mobi.

16. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Regarding the TK thought. If someone does start tking there are 2 possible outcomes, both of which are bad for the tker. Either the TKer is kicked, or if the kicking for TK is disabled you can make the life of the TKer a living hell (untill they leave the server).

My brother plays predominantly as a medic, one game a TKer blasted the planes as soon as team members got in. so he ran over and shot the guy. He then proceeded to call over a few of the guys who had been TKed a few seconds earlier. He revived the TKer and then the others exectued the TKer. He then revived the guy again, who was then shot again. Most of the guys went back to war but one of them stayed and continued to shoot the TKer. This process of reviving and shooting went on for almost 5 min before the guy left the game.

17. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

hahahaha...there needs to be more of that vigilanteism in those types of games. ;) I like your brother's style.

18. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

The new ATI card?

19. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Hmmm thinking my comp with its 512 ram and 9600xt wont cut it. Me tinks i will be getting my new comp a bit earlier then planed.

20. The_Pope

Rupbert: I *could* tease you with comments like "I'm not allowed say" but I'm not that cruel - it's NOT the new ATI card...

Infered101: dude, if you're on broadband, just download the demo and try a bunch of settings for yourself.

Tags: Add Tags