WilHarris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ultra Ramsinks / Media Bay

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2005...heatsin/1.html

WilHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2005, 10:53   #2
Darkedge
Supermodder

Darkedge has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
not using thermal tape was very very dumb - could they even make your ram hotter??
Darkedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2005, 11:16   #3
GuardianStorm
Ultramodder

GuardianStorm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
so the drive bay media extender is a set of extension cables? in a box? i guess if its what you need, then its cool, but i would much rather make my own

as for the RAM sinks, i think they work well for asthetics, even if they dont help o/c wise
Finished Projects: Yarrrbox :: Laptop Stand :: Bench PSU MK2 :: FS2
Guides: How To Bend Metal
GuardianStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2005, 11:21   #4
TMM
Modder

TMM has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkedge
not using thermal tape was very very dumb - could they even make your ram hotter??
Probably. Even the heatspreaders that do use thermaltape tend to insulate the heat rather then get rid of it. They look cool though. Anyone ever thought of using thermalpaste on heatspreaders?.
Old 28th Jun 2005, 12:40   #5
Jumeira_Johnny
16032 - High plains drifter

Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.Jumeira_Johnny is definitely a rep cheat.
I have thought about the thermal paste idea. In fact, I assumed every one did, and that was why you needed the clips. Boy was I wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayinBlack View Post
But I do remember the days when we didn't all run around holding our asses because butthurt. And I miss them.
Jumeira_Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2005, 12:50   #6
frodo
Ultramodder

frodo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
so, in theory the heatspreaders on my crucial ballistix are actually keeping the heat in?

so, in theory it would be better for me to REMOVE the crappy sink's on the ballistix as then the huge amount of airflow i have around the ram would actually help? if so someone tell me! i really want to be able to get higher OC from this ram, and after seeing this article it concludes my thought that its just 3M tape, not thermal tape!
frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2005, 15:11   #7
tm36usa
I *am* a Dremel

tm36usa has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo
so, in theory the heatspreaders on my crucial ballistix are actually keeping the heat in?
Nope, corsair uses thermal tape, the same kind that gpu ram sinks are adhered(sp) with. They also only use a tiny thin layer of it so more heat gets out. So while not really helping dissipate the heat, they are not holding them back and making them hotter. Hope that helped frodo, and if you did want to take them off, put them in the freezer for 10~20 min and then gently pry them off

As for solving the heat issue because of that crappy tape, I got a set of heavy copper mem sinks like OCZ uses here, im going to try ripping off the crappy 3m tape and just use arctic silver and see how it works. Maybe I'll keep a tiny strip of the tape, just to kep them on the ram.
Old 28th Jun 2005, 15:23   #8
Jhonbus
Multimodder

Jhonbus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmm, my Kingston HyperX looks like it's got a big thick (seriously, something like 0.5mm!) tape holding the sinks on. Maybe I'll take it apart and see if I can improve matters.

Oh I liked the second article... "Appalling beige". Is that in the Dulux catalog?
Old 28th Jun 2005, 18:23   #9
frodo
Ultramodder

Hmmm, i said crucial not corsair, by the looks of it the crucial ram uses EXACTLY the same heatsinks! no difference at all bar the "ultra" is "ballistix" on my ram

i had some REALLY good akasa memory heatspreaders, that used a like clay, that was a near solid thermal paste, which when the memory was against did a very good job of transmitting the heat, shame i cant find them any more
Old 28th Jun 2005, 19:30   #10
tm36usa
I *am* a Dremel

tm36usa has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo
Hmmm, i said crucial not corsair, by the looks of it the crucial ram uses EXACTLY the same heatsinks! no difference at all bar the "ultra" is "ballistix" on my ram

i had some REALLY good akasa memory heatspreaders, that used a like clay, that was a near solid thermal paste, which when the memory was against did a very good job of transmitting the heat, shame i cant find them any more

Sorry, I meant crucial. I've built a couple of systems with the ballistx sticks but for some reason I always think that corsair makes them. Stupid me
Old 28th Jun 2005, 19:35   #11
frodo
Ultramodder

Yeah, im kind of getting pissed @ this ram, as it gets SO bloody hot @ 250mhz (what its meant to run :S) like it gets so hot its giving errors in memtest86! dammit

ive got plans involving acrylic and either 2x 80mm's or a few 40mm's @ 5v over the ram! as that might help cool it a bit, and also give some airflow over the PWM area of my dfi, which gets a bit warm during hard work (gaming, folding, more gaming, etc etc)
Old 29th Jun 2005, 11:45   #12
monkeyville
Evilish Monkey ++;

monkeyville has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
not much to do with the actual article but i want to know what mat with all the kids drawings is. Looks well cool expecially the stick men

-=|My Site|=-

"If crime fighters fight crime, and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?"
monkeyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jun 2005, 13:07   #13
WilHarris
Just another nobody

WilHarris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
www.explodingdog.com
WilHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2005, 05:20   #14
matu
What's a Dremel?

matu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have heared and I have seen 3M thermal tape.It looks the same as the normal 3M double sided tape. I`m sure that those heatspreaders have the same thing or the guys/girls who made them are REALLY not so clever.
Old 1st Jul 2005, 09:12   #15
frodo
Ultramodder

hmmm, would prefer say shin etsu

either they use thermal tape

or they are to designery/fancy pants to realise their product is about as useless as something useless (to tired to make a proper metaphor)
Old 15th Sep 2005, 06:00   #16
McFlyinCA
What's a Dremel?

McFlyinCA has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm36usa
Nope, corsair uses thermal tape, the same kind that gpu ram sinks are adhered(sp) with. They also only use a tiny thin layer of it so more heat gets out. So while not really helping dissipate the heat, they are not holding them back and making them hotter. Hope that helped frodo, and if you did want to take them off, put them in the freezer for 10~20 min and then gently pry them off

As for solving the heat issue because of that crappy tape, I got a set of heavy copper mem sinks like OCZ uses here, im going to try ripping off the crappy 3m tape and just use arctic silver and see how it works. Maybe I'll keep a tiny strip of the tape, just to kep them on the ram.
Umm I would just like to give you a headups. First of all Arctic Silver by nature is NOT conductive. However in tiny places like inbetween pins on ram it is. I also thought it would be a good idea to put Arctic Silver on my ram before ram sinks and much to my surprise my system would NOT boot after I did this . I know it was my ram cause my Asus speech reporter told me so. So word to the wise either tape off the pins on each ram module before applying arctic silver or dont do it at all. Hope this helps.
McFlyinCA is offline   Reply With Quote