1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interview: NVIDIA, RSX and the future

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 11 Jul 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Nice article, but I'd take the comparisons of ATI/Xbox360 to nVidia/PS3 with a pinch of salt. I mean, after all, he's not going to say nice things about a competitor, is he?
    What would be nice is for nVidia and ATI to be sent the same questions, and see their answers side-by-side - maybe then we'd be able to cut through the bullsh!t :D

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I'm a little surprised at how much this interview focuses on ATI's product, to tell you the truth. I think it's obviously important to talk about future developments in the industry as a whole, but it seems slightly focused on NVidia's take on ATI's place in the market.

I am very interested in what he had to say, and you guys always conduct a nice interview (by the way, is it done by phone, or online, or what?). I guess I'd just like to see a little more of what to expect from NVidia. There could have been a great deal more discussion about the architectural changes of the 7800 (because, as we have been discussing in news, there are some), the issues surrounding future SLI, or what NVidia plans to do as a next gen. Instead I hear a bit about consoles, a lot about ATI, and like 2 questions on the 7800, which were answered succintly and then rambled off to more ATI and consoles.

5. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

This was a face-to-face interview. In fact, it was in a central London hotel on the morning of the bombing, so I guess we could forgive the guys if it wasn't quite as in-depth as you'd hope.

6. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Oh, my! Ok, yeah, you make a good point. Was that why Wil was stuck out there?

Forgive previous post, I'll look for better luck next time you get to talk to him. :)

7. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

nice interview, he also had a point about the fx architecture but comecialy it was a flop still :p

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I agree - most people here are more interested in what will happen in the PC chips, not consoles. Because with consoles, you only have one choice and it's already been made, you just pop in the disk and go whether the graphics look like they're from 2006 or 1996. With a fair number of members running SLI and with 6800 or 7800 boards, we're quite interested what their future plans are regarding SLI, like improving driver support and whatnot.

9. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

Sweet, so its as up to date as it will get. I realy like the ammount of time (or lack there of) between the interview and realesing the article. Good article btw.

10. teapot

teapot What's a Dremel?

The interview would have benefited from being a little more probing and less back-slappingly complementary. For example, when Mr Nvidia responded to the question of the difference between the 7800 and RSX and responded that the RSX was faster, I wanted the interviewer to ask why they should release the 7800 as a slower version of a console chip. Not exactly catering for the 'Extreme Enthusiast Performance Gamer FX' market...

I also would have liked to see Kirk pulled up on his response to the idea of a unified pipeline for graphics cards, where he necessarily equated unification with competition for resources, and also stated that a unified processor would have to do twice as much "by design", which surely misses the point that if it were to provide greater efficiency it would not being doing quite twice as much.

Interesting otherwise, but did seem like the interviewer was a bit too grateful that Kirk had agreed to be interviewed

11. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags