Just another nobody

WilHarris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Interview: NVIDIA, RSX and the future

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2005/07...terview/1.html

WilHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2005, 13:26   #2
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
Nice article, but I'd take the comparisons of ATI/Xbox360 to nVidia/PS3 with a pinch of salt. I mean, after all, he's not going to say nice things about a competitor, is he?
What would be nice is for nVidia and ATI to be sent the same questions, and see their answers side-by-side - maybe then we'd be able to cut through the bullsh!t
Flibblebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2005, 14:01   #3
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
We interviewed Richard Huddy not too long ago... http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2005/06...ddy_ati/1.html
Old 11th Jul 2005, 15:15   #4
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm a little surprised at how much this interview focuses on ATI's product, to tell you the truth. I think it's obviously important to talk about future developments in the industry as a whole, but it seems slightly focused on NVidia's take on ATI's place in the market.

I am very interested in what he had to say, and you guys always conduct a nice interview (by the way, is it done by phone, or online, or what?). I guess I'd just like to see a little more of what to expect from NVidia. There could have been a great deal more discussion about the architectural changes of the 7800 (because, as we have been discussing in news, there are some), the issues surrounding future SLI, or what NVidia plans to do as a next gen. Instead I hear a bit about consoles, a lot about ATI, and like 2 questions on the 7800, which were answered succintly and then rambled off to more ATI and consoles.
Old 11th Jul 2005, 15:34   #5
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
This was a face-to-face interview. In fact, it was in a central London hotel on the morning of the bombing, so I guess we could forgive the guys if it wasn't quite as in-depth as you'd hope.
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2005, 17:33   #6
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh, my! Ok, yeah, you make a good point. Was that why Wil was stuck out there?

Forgive previous post, I'll look for better luck next time you get to talk to him.
Old 11th Jul 2005, 22:24   #7
Kipman725
When did I get a custom title!?!

Kipman725 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nice interview, he also had a point about the fx architecture but comecialy it was a flop still :P
Kipman725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2005, 22:43   #8
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Dego
There could have been a great deal more discussion about the architectural changes of the 7800 (because, as we have been discussing in news, there are some), the issues surrounding future SLI, or what NVidia plans to do as a next gen. Instead I hear a bit about consoles, a lot about ATI, and like 2 questions on the 7800, which were answered succintly and then rambled off to more ATI and consoles.
I agree - most people here are more interested in what will happen in the PC chips, not consoles. Because with consoles, you only have one choice and it's already been made, you just pop in the disk and go whether the graphics look like they're from 2006 or 1996. With a fair number of members running SLI and with 6800 or 7800 boards, we're quite interested what their future plans are regarding SLI, like improving driver support and whatnot.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2005, 23:13   #9
Who_me_33
Supermodder

Who_me_33 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pope
This was a face-to-face interview. In fact, it was in a central London hotel on the morning of the bombing, so I guess we could forgive the guys if it wasn't quite as in-depth as you'd hope.
Sweet, so its as up to date as it will get. I realy like the ammount of time (or lack there of) between the interview and realesing the article. Good article btw.
Who_me_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2005, 16:40   #10
teapot
Minimodder

teapot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The interview would have benefited from being a little more probing and less back-slappingly complementary. For example, when Mr Nvidia responded to the question of the difference between the 7800 and RSX and responded that the RSX was faster, I wanted the interviewer to ask why they should release the 7800 as a slower version of a console chip. Not exactly catering for the 'Extreme Enthusiast Performance Gamer FX' market...

I also would have liked to see Kirk pulled up on his response to the idea of a unified pipeline for graphics cards, where he necessarily equated unification with competition for resources, and also stated that a unified processor would have to do twice as much "by design", which surely misses the point that if it were to provide greater efficiency it would not being doing quite twice as much.

Interesting otherwise, but did seem like the interviewer was a bit too grateful that Kirk had agreed to be interviewed
teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jul 2005, 16:19   #11
Godboy_g
Supermodder

Godboy_g has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Made the front page on Slashdot