bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > Serious

Old 6th Aug 2005, 18:20   #1
Zidane
Hypermodder

Zidane has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Linux is a Genuine Windows? turns out it is.

whilst attempting to download directX (to see if i could install it on Wine and crack up B&W on my linux box, i was very bored) i came accross a lil "Windows Genuine Advantage" check before i could download it.

being a Linux Zealot, this is the first time ive actually seen it, but ive obviously heard lots about it. so, i think, lets see what microsoft makes of a linux box then.....

clicketyclick. copy-paste-code. clicketyclick.

a few brief moments later....

(this is me, having just passed the Windows Genuine Advantage check, about to d/l directX)

et voila. whaddya know, it turns out that linux, using Wine, is an actual genuine copy of windows, according to the WGA checker exe.

its at times like this i fear i may have damaged some internal organs after laughing so hard.

its not often us linux folk get to have our day against MS, but i suspect you all know what my new desktop is

`Zidane
(the one who cant stop laughing)
need a hand joining or setting up? ask us on the bit-tech forums -> here

Last edited by The_Pope; 9th Aug 2005 at 12:47.
Zidane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2005, 18:31   #2
XUntitled
Supermodder

XUntitled has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Way to go Bill... thats all I have to say )
XUntitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2005, 18:44   #3
charl3s_fatal1ty

hehehe!!
Old 6th Aug 2005, 19:17   #4
furqan
Supermodder

furqan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hmm.. now try downloading updates

*for the rest of us*
furqan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2005, 19:41   #5
Zidane
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy
hmm.. now try downloading updates

*for the rest of us*

thats easy...... *waves his magic wand and discreetly turns on automatic updates*

tadaaaaa, now you get updates without having to do the WGA.... automagically.

see, you can do this stuff when you use linux.... rofl
Old 6th Aug 2005, 20:36   #6
RotoSequence
Lazy Lurker

RotoSequence has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Which now brings up an interesting possibity involving WINE; if WGA recognises that as a true copy of Windows, whats stopping people from writing software that makes ANY copy of Windows get recognised as genuine?
Old 6th Aug 2005, 20:49   #7
Zidane
Hypermodder

actually Roto, thats a very good point, ive just been talking about it with a freind (im showing everyone i know that screenie, tis too funny).

this linux box doesnt have *any* windows stuff on it, i only installed wine a couple of hours ago to see if it could play a windows game, and the first thing i did was go to grab directx.

so, if there is no windows components (aside from the api's that wine emulates), just what, exactly, is the checker exe actually checking? cause it sure as hell wont find windows on my box.
Old 7th Aug 2005, 10:55   #8
Shadow_101
Mudkips.

Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Shadow_101 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Thanks for the validation code
Shadow_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2005, 11:00   #9
fullfat
Supermodder

fullfat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
lol!
fullfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2005, 21:25   #10
furqan
Supermodder

furqan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
*quickly writes it down*

HA Microsoft can't beat me

*I have a genuine copy of windows*
furqan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2005, 15:49   #11
Anakha
Supermodder

Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Beware. This has been submitted to /.
Old 8th Aug 2005, 21:17   #12
Lynx
Hypermodder

Lynx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why has this been submitted to /. Its not news! Wine identifys itself as windows 98 hence why it works with windows programs. You can also get it to id itself as win2k.
Nothing to see here.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2005, 21:22   #13
sui_winbolo
Giraffe_City

sui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotoSequence
Which now brings up an interesting possibity involving WINE; if WGA recognises that as a true copy of Windows, whats stopping people from writing software that makes ANY copy of Windows get recognised as genuine?
Well you can turn off validation in IE and you can download all you want even if your copy isn't legit.
WD Velociraptor 300GB HDD | Corsair Pro 650w PSU | Silverstone MATX Case ::

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
sui_winbolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2005, 21:34   #14
Anakha
Supermodder

Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx
Why has this been submitted to /. Its not news! Wine identifys itself as windows 98 hence why it works with windows programs. You can also get it to id itself as win2k.
Nothing to see here.
It's news, as there is absolutely no Windows code in WINE, yet Microsoft's "Windows Genuine Advantage" tool (That is written by MS to ensure that all copies of Windows that download from Microsoft's site) still reports that WINE is a "REAL" copy of Windows.

So, in other words, the "Windows Genuine Advantage" offers no "Advantage" at all, no matter if your copy of windows is genuine or not.
Old 8th Aug 2005, 21:50   #15
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I thought it ran using Java?
Old 8th Aug 2005, 22:07   #16
Anakha
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenco_uk
I thought it ran using Java?
Nope. It runs using ActiveX in IE, or with a seperate executable for any other browser.
Old 9th Aug 2005, 10:11   #17
insomniacity
What's a Dremel?

insomniacity has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Any chance of you hosting the image somewhere else? I just see an imageshack 'excessive usage' image.
insomniacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2005, 10:22   #18
Cheap Mod Wannabe
Ultramodder

Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Mod Wannabe
Ehhh don't you guys think that Microsoft did this on purpose? I mean the security is made so it would check Genuine Microsoft Software, not REdHat or OSX genuinity, however the content is made available for wider spectrum of users than just MS thus it allow downloads from other OS's. Imagine how many people would be bit**ing about MS if you could not download nothing from MS website on your MAC/Linux (or other). Downloads such as Windows Media PLayer and etc. Also MS would get sued by a lot of companies and individuals if they would block other OS's. And I think MS would not have right nor reason to make checks for other OS's thus it just allows them to go through.

What is the big fuss about daaamn.
Cheap Mod Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2005, 11:13   #19
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniacity
Any chance of you hosting the image somewhere else? I just see an imageshack 'excessive usage' image.

I'm just waiting for Zidane to pop back online and send me the image - we can host it without any bandwidth problems. This story got slashdotted, and nobody thought to grab it before it died. Sorry about that.
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2005, 11:34   #20
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Thanks for the offer, PJ, but as soon as Zidane wakes up and gets online, we'll be hosting the pic on bit-tech.

Sorry for lack of picture - we'll get you back to our scheduled programming as soon as possible!
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
GreatOldOne is offline   Reply With Quote