WilHarris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Zalman and Asetek - new heatsinks

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200..._cooler/1.html

WilHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2005, 16:35   #2
Fozzy
Ultramodder

Fozzy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i had higher hopes for the zalman. I bet if you lapped it you could get much lower temps
Fozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2005, 18:00   #3
koola
Eat my...

koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.
Didn't think the zalman could replace my wc system, but I wonder how loud it sounds on its maximum setting?
Old 18th Aug 2005, 18:18   #4
Hwulex
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hwulex has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
i had higher hopes for the zalman. I bet if you lapped it you could get much lower temps
Same. I've been waiting for this thing to become available (retail) for aaaages and now I'm a little unsure as what to buy.

Maybe I'll stick to the CNPS7000B?
Old 18th Aug 2005, 18:30   #5
Cheap Mod Wannabe
Ultramodder

Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Cheap Mod Wannabe - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
We can always ducktape another fan to the other side of Zalman heatsink surpassing our expectations and making temps a lot lower.... mhmmmm looower...
Cheap Mod Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2005, 18:30   #6
Fr4nk
Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Fr4nk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've got the Vapo mirco on a 3800 X2 and it stays at a nice 38C idle 45CLoad @2.3Ghz but it is not the nicest thing to look at overwise its a great cooler
Old 18th Aug 2005, 18:32   #7
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, that was a letdown.

Think I'll be sticking with my CU7000.
Old 18th Aug 2005, 19:06   #8
jackjr
Minimodder

jackjr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That's a bit disappointing (the Zalman). I was really looking forward to the release of this and was extremely excited to see the difference in temp.. What a bummer..
Chieftec Full Tower Dragon, MSI PT880 Neo, P4 3.2 Ghz, 1.5 GB Corsair DDR400, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB DDR, Creative Labs Audigy2, 2x SATA 80 GB IBM Deskstar, 1 WD 160 GB, WD 160 GB external, 1 Seagate 250 GB, Benq 12x Dual DVD/RW, Benq 16x DVDRom, Raidmax 650 Aluminum Dual fan PSU.
jackjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2005, 19:32   #9
PA!N
Hypermodder

PA!N has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Christ, I'd fear that the Zalman cooler (what ever they say) would break of and tear my mobo a part during ruff transportation to LAN's...
I'd guess it'll hold under normal circumstances but I sometimes carry my pc
on a "wheelbarrow" to lokal LAN's...
(never try this at home I almost wrecked my crappy old 19" monitor...)

Last edited by PA!N; 18th Aug 2005 at 19:39.
PA!N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2005, 20:59   #10
Neo40k
Modder

Neo40k has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the asetek design is rather neat even though its #s are low (well high!!)
but why would they make it swivel??? it adds another thermal break.

the Zalman looks wicked and appeas to work well.... shame on them for not have a flat bottom though.
Old 18th Aug 2005, 21:38   #11
Shadowed_fury
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Shadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Bah, Thats a shame, I was gonna look into that Zalman...
Shadowed_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2005, 22:53   #12
blackerthanblack
Supermodder

blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.
Just a thought but did you try the Asetek in another orientation, like facing the exhaust fan, or was it an open case test. I know with some tower coolers this can make a difference in temps.
Old 18th Aug 2005, 22:54   #13
acidfire
Supermodder

acidfire has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd have to agree its fairly disappointing to see that the Zalman wasn't surfaced properly. I just picked up a pair of cu700's and a cu7700 for my new system
(x2 4400, a8n sli premium, 2x asus 7800 gtx) and the surfaces were damn near perfect, so this is a let down. Maybe it was just a bad unit? Oh well, should be interesting to see when they release the 120mm version
I've served my time in hell. "
acidfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2005, 23:29   #14
Firefox90
Modder

Firefox90 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Meh...I was going to finally upgrade my stock cooling to that Zalman, but it doesn't look that impressive. Do I have uber stock cooling or what? This is what is holding me back.

Firefox90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2005, 01:44   #15
Pookeyhead
It's big, and it's clever.

Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.
I don't care if they're good or not... they look completely retarded , and the weight MUST put a great deal of stress on the mobo/socket. Just stupid.... for God sake, just water cool your rig if you're THAT bothered about having lower temps!

I'd like a review that tests how many times you can actually move your PC without fracturing the connection between your socket and MoBo with one of these behemoths attached to it.
MAIN RIG |Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHz Asus Rampage IV Extreme 16Gb Mushkin DDR3 2133 512GB Samsung 830 SSD 4TB of HDD Storage 4GB EVGA GTX670 Superclocked SLI Corsair 650D Eizo ColorEdge CG303W & Dell 2007FP Logitech Z623
EARTH| Celeron E3200 Gigabyte G31M-ES2L LSI SAS9260-8i 3TB RAID5 Headless - VNC administered
MOON | Thecus N3200pro 3TB RAID5
Pookeyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2005, 02:47   #16
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
I agree that the Zalman could've been lapped for theoretically better performance - I suggested it in the Editing process - however, since this is how the sample was provided, this is also how thousands of people will no doubt install it, so the results reflect that.

For the few enthusiasts like you & me, we'd lap that fella nice & smooth, and I'd guess it would knock a couple of degree off perhaps...

Firefox90: what CPU do you have mate? It's either not very fast, or you have some hefty air-con: MB temps normally start around 30C, with CPUs around 35C. The fact your mobo temp says 20C strikes me as unusual.

Oh, and for the record in case people aren't aware of such things, CPUs are commonly rated to run as high as 60C, 70C or even more. Lower daily operating temps are commonly believed to lead to a longer life, but we're talking 5 years over 4 years etc.

The good thing about the Zalman is that you can set it to near-silent and still only hit 51C under load (and we're talking an FX-55 here!). Yes, the stock cooler is 54C, but that's quite noise in comparison. If you were to set the noise levels the same (because maybe you play games with headphones) the Zalman is 40C vs 54C - quite a difference.
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2005, 05:14   #17
Marquee
Mac Pro Modder

Marquee has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh my god the huge. One day a heatsink will be as big as a shuttle PC.LMFAO
Why can't these compays man a jump from heatsink to water cooling.
Old 19th Aug 2005, 05:17   #18
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
Cost, reliability, Technical Support... there are many reasons, though there are several off the shelf systems - we've all be discussing the Zalman, but Asetek make the excellent WaterChill range.
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2005, 05:53   #19
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I dont really see what's wrong with these temperatures.... 40C in full load is actualy really good , how can you expect more from aircooling when using such a powerful processor?

I got a CNSP7700Cu, wich is an excellent heatsink , and my prescott 2.8@3.3Ghz is at 40C in idle with the case opened. Im extremely satisfied , my Intel box could only keep it at 54C in idle. (0_0)
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2005, 06:26   #20
jackpotcoast
What's a Dremel?

jackpotcoast has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
After reading the review, it almost seemed rushed to me. It was like there was a big hurry to get it done, and not go through the normal motions...imo. Maybe they couldve showed the lapped temps and the non lapped temps. How many fans were in the case? As was mentioned before, swiveling the Asetek cooler to another direction. If the one of the coolers actually brought down case temps, that sort of thing. All imo though, you guys are the pros at doin this.
jackpotcoast is offline   Reply With Quote