bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Sep 2005, 13:44   #1
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
Project KOS-MOS

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2005...kos_mos/1.html

I'm sure Bill is more than happy to answer any questions you might have about Project KOS-MOS if you post them below.
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 13:54   #2
J-Pepper
Ultramodder

J-Pepper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
where in Kiddi did you get the cnc done?

I've been looking for places around that could do them and i'm near the area, but contacting someone who has had 'experience' in computer modding (!) is a plus.
J-Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 14:08   #3
Marquee
Mac Pro Modder

Marquee has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Its an ok mod.

I would love to see more paint or some sort of a mod that uses part of the motorcycle on the case.
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 14:27   #4
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
There certainly are more detailed mods out there, but for what it is, we felt it was well executed. It caught our eye at the i25 LAN a few weeks ago: http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/...writeup/1.html
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 14:42   #5
yodasarmpit
No longer the other Brett.

yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.
It was well enough executed as you say, but I'm not seeing anything other than some paint, stickers and a laser etch (which was done by an outside company)

It does have a clean neat look to it though.
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 15:24   #6
Asphix
Multimodder

Asphix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What else is needed? Why does someone need to go crazy? Sometimes simple design is just as effective, and in the end case modding is about customization of a case tailored to the creator. Monet wasnt any more of an artist because he used a greater variety of color in his paintings than many other artists of his time. Nor were his paintings any more of "real paintings" due to that. Other artists works werent any less because they didnt incorporate the same style or push the boundaries the same as him. Not all case modders are out to do something new, or be completely unique in style and technique. A lot of times its just the desire to create something custom thats beautiful and has meaning to them while having fun with the process.

But on topic, all i have to say is WOW. The case came together VERY nicely. It has a very nice look that holds true to the design/look/feel of Xenosaga! I'm very impressed!

Last edited by Asphix; 23rd Sep 2005 at 15:33.
Asphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 15:56   #7
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Agreeing with Asphix here.

Sometimes, the beauty is in the simple attention to detail, not in the complexity of the mod itself. I am having a hard time coming up with a single part of this that is not excellently executed.

For instance, most people would stop at the vinyl on the side of the case. They wouldn't think to do things such as the little V's by each screw on the watercooling part, or the KOS-MOS labels both up and down on the black part of the front bezel, and I've not seen someone put the effort into labeling each spare drive slot for that industrial look. And then he put more inside on the CCFL cover, etc. Just these little details that really bring it out as a labor of love and not some rush job.

About the only change that I would have considered would maybe be putting 2 thinner windows in, etching the blue parts on one and the white parts on the other, then using LEDs embedded in the window edge to light them. Then the etching would really come alive. Currently, I think it gets a little washed out with such strong blue backlighting, which is a shame for such terrific work.

Overall, I really think that the target "feel" was hit perfectly without being overdone, a delicate balance to walk for sure. It looks nothing like the big, boring steel box that he received, yet he did it without cutting holes or tearing it all apart. Great job and a worthy article.
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 16:05   #8
Morpheon
Multimodder

Morpheon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well Done ...but we are jaded now so thats why me and the others here feel its a bit basic... but for a first timer youre off to a fantastic start.

Keep it up...and next time really let your imagination go wild ( <----and use one of those at least once on the next case )...just make sure you save the dollars to do it!!

and oh yes you must simply do the white lazer LED mod to light that etch up....you could do a combination of blue and white but I promise you that its an easy $12 job that would take an afternoon and really set it off !!

We were all n00bs once...but its those that listen that seperates us from the rest.
My Rig! DFI-D Sli (OCZ Tony Bios) | 3800X2 2.8 (285*10) @ 1.58Vcore
OCZ 4000 Plat 2GB (2.5-4-4-8) 1T | DangerDen TDX (nozzle 4)CPU / Maze 4 GPU / DD5 Pump
ATi X1900XTX @ 780/850 | Antec True Blue 480W | 74GB Raptor (System) 750GB Segate (Storage)
Morpheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 17:14   #9
God_Of_Death
Minimodder

God_Of_Death has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i am a huge fan of the xenosaga series. the case has nice little details but seeing as how it is named after KOS-MOS i thought it would have been bigger and much more extravagant.

don't get me wrong. the case is great but it falls short of what the KOS-MOS character is.

*i am not bashing the case....just pointing something out.*
God_Of_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 17:14   #10
GigantoR
Supermodder

GigantoR has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is a very clean mod. I have done the PSU rewiring before and that is no easy task. Mine looked nowhere near that good, so I give him major props for that.
GigantoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 17:48   #11
DarkReaper
Alignment: Sarcastic Good

DarkReaper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
PSU rewired, centralised lighting, custom milled case badges, tiny little details everywhere... It's a lovely clean mod that isn't too flashy but could attract your attention for ages trying to find every little mod
DarkReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 18:06   #12
randOm^whine
What's a Dremel?

randOm^whine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Machine Specs.?

Congrats on the amazing work on your KOS-MOs project.
I was just wondering the specs on the machine.
randOm^whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 18:54   #13
Kipman725
When did I get a custom title!?!

Kipman725 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
a very classy mod, well done
Kipman725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 19:03   #14
DarkInferno
Supermodder

DarkInferno has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like.

I'd also be interested about the information about the miller

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.
- Bill Hicks
DarkInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 19:31   #15
Evil-Dragon
What's a Dremel?

Evil-Dragon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well done Bill (Gunsmith) i knew you'd finally make the big time. You're probably wondering who this is... i'll give you a clue i went to college with ya mate!

I've split up with the gf after things hit the fan and have moved back to Ward End now. Drop me a line if you read this.

Regards
Matt
Evil-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 19:38   #16
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
cheers guys, i know it doesnt seem like much but i kinda went for the style over excess approach, my next case will be a little more adventurious. im trying to dig up the info on the miller to pass on to you guys as it was ages ago when i got the badges made.

as for the specs

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ "Clawhammer"
Gigabyte GA-K8VNXP ultra motherboard
1024 Crucial BallistiX DDR 3200 @ 2-2-2-5
Asus V9999ultra @ 475/1200
Aeropower Aerocool II 520w PSU modded
2x Western Digital Caviar 120gig HDD
1x Western Digital Caviar 160gig HDD
1x Western Digital Caviar 180gig HDD
Koolance PC3-720SL chassis (
Koolance CPU-300-le06 waterblock
Koolance GPU 180 waterblock
Koolance VID-NV2-L06 waterblock
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2

ok shes showing age but with some TLC she still belts a lot of new titles about ^_^

i will post the details of the miller
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 19:40   #17
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
OMG EVIL-DRAGON! HOLY **** I HAVENT SEEN YOU IN YEARS!
i dont have you're number tho. pm it me and ill give you a call.
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 19:45   #18
Evil-Dragon
What's a Dremel?

Evil-Dragon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
PM'ed

Good to see you're still alive and doing good work, i found some of your artwork the other day from ages ago... I see your photoshopping skills have got even better
Evil-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 20:13   #19
Brassfinz
Minimodder

Brassfinz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This mod is Gorgeous! That etching is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen on a computer. I've always thought that etchings did little more than get in the way of the view, but this one has changed my mind. I think it'd look even better all lit up by some white/blue LEDs.

Also, wonderful job on rewiring the PSU. It's takes some ballz to open those things up (especially for a 1st timer).

Ralphie got an A+++++++++++++++++++++++++, and so do you!
Brassfinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2005, 20:15   #20
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

for those of you who wanted to know who my miller is give John a call at CB Patterns and tools on 01299 832 042