bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Oct 2005, 16:36   #1
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
BrightSide DR37-P HDR display

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...hdr_edr/1.html
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 16:52   #2
hitman012
Super Moderator

hitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Superb article - very good explanations as well, it cleared a lot up for me about HDR in general

It really does look like they're onto a winner here with that display - I can only hope it's affordable sooner rather than later.
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 16:57   #3
Shadowed_fury
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Shadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Brilliant read, and just wow. How nice is that for a display.
(also, pitch black rocks, can't imagine how good it'd be on one of those )
Shadowed_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 17:06   #4
atanum141
I fapped to your post!

atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
good article...got abit lost in it tho...but i sure enjoyed the pics

Welcome to Thunderdome, B*tch
XBL: atanum141
atanum141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 17:10   #5
Hustler
Hypermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Oh for gods sake.....yet another new display technology, just as im about to take the HD plunge, this comes along....ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

I'm no rich boy, if i buy HD Tv set now its gonna have to last at least 3yrs...probably 5.

The only way im ever going to get to try all this new stuff is to change career and become a technology journalist....
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 17:29   #6
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
The only way im ever going to get to try all this new stuff is to change career and become a technology journalist....
The key word there is TRY. The display is almost $50,000USD. A bit out of the average budget...and no, Geoff did not get one to take home with him (though I think he should've begged more).
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 17:34   #7
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
I want one of these to go next to my PS3 and Xbox 360.
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 17:56   #8
kickarse
Ultramodder

kickarse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
One word can't describe how cool that is!
Zero State Reflex - I'm Splintering
Hot Hot Heat - Middle of No Where
-
www.nerges.net

kickarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 17:57   #9
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
TBH I think the HD/LDTV example was a bad one but that's just because I really can't see ANY difference in picture quality. However the HDR/LDR of this is more than clearly visible in the article. Too bad it goes all bloomey (???) in the videos for the super-brights, but the darks at least couldn't be more obvious. I've personally had no inclination to go HD just because I don't find picture quality much better (and don't get me started on the DRM stuff they're working on implementing, etc, etc), but once these things are affordable it could certainly change my mind.

However if it can go "truly" black, why didn't they use "undefined" to their advantage and not just call it 200,000:1 or whatever? Surely 100,000,000,000:1 would be just as accurate?
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 18:18   #10
GigantoR
Supermodder

GigantoR has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What shocks me about this is the simple idea behind the design. Are you telling me that nobody had considered dynamic backlighting? Seems to be one of those things where nobody thinks of it for some reason, then somebody comes out of the blue with it and everybody goes "D'oh!" and smacks their forehead.

The concept of a tv having to be watercooled is also pretty wild.
GigantoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 18:19   #11
woodshop
UnSeenly

woodshop has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
cant remember if mentioned but how big were the test displayes??
woodshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 18:20   #12
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
37"
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 18:23   #13
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
However if it can go "truly" black, why didn't they use "undefined" to their advantage and not just call it 200,000:1 or whatever? Surely 100,000,000,000:1 would be just as accurate?
Technically yes, but by "normal" industry measures, 200,000:1 was the number they decided was meaningful. Of course, this was before Toshiba came out with 100,000:1, and don't even get me started on Sharp's antics.

What those two have is a range of very dark to moderately bright. Brightside have PITCH BLACK all the way up to VERY, VERY, VERY BRIGHT. The science is all in the article. I'm sorry that atanum141 got a bit lost - I don't blame you mate - but I tried as hard as I could to boil some tricky science down to a level that most people would understand.

The blooming was unfortunate, but unavoidable with an LDR camera. Incidentally, BrightSide have patents on true HDR camera technology too

All I can say is that whenever it blooms, the picture is really bright. Which is normally what you'd expect for whatever is going on on-screen, but you never get with an LDR display. I wish there was some way I could show you guys just how l33t this is: people can still be skeptical even after 10 pages, yet plonk them in front of this thing for 30 seconds, and they'd understand it instantly.
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 18:24   #14
LoneArchon
Supermodder

LoneArchon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i think they don't do that is becuase there is not a led per pixel so it is possible for light to leak around the area creating light levels above 0. I want one now. Well at least for me a new TV isn't coming may way for a few years.
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 18:28   #15
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigantoR
What shocks me about this is the simple idea behind the design. Are you telling me that nobody had considered dynamic backlighting? Seems to be one of those things where nobody thinks of it for some reason, then somebody comes out of the blue with it and everybody goes "D'oh!" and smacks their forehead.

The concept of a tv having to be watercooled is also pretty wild.
BrightSide have been working on it since 1999 (from memory) so much of the initial work was taking place at a time when many people were still getting used to LCDs taking over from CRTs. They started with some 18" LCD prototypes before moving on to the jumbo 37" widescreen.

Unfortunately, building an 18" PC display isn't *that* much cheaper than the 37" LCDTV - when we're talking $49k a piece - and there are techie reasons why they can't really go any smaller than 18", so don't count on these hitting your desktops just yet.

Once they sign up the big boys like Samsung, NEC, BenQ etc, we may see it trickle down from Home Theatre applications to 19" desktop displays. It's all down to demand: write to your congressman, err, manufacturer today!!
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 18:32   #16
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

Oh, that's a good point too: remember that it is NOT one LED per pixel - that would be over 2m LEDs, and size contraints would make manufacture impossible. The display is performing significant calculations at 60Hz to adjust the picture & backlight dynamically. It's that Veiling Luminance stuff that allows them to use a relatively low backlight grid (1400 LEDs) to power a 2 megapixel display.
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 18:38   #17
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehed
TBH I think the HD/LDTV example was a bad one but that's just because I really can't see ANY difference in picture quality.
no it is a good example for normal people, you're just blind or something
that pic of the 2 screens showing a 'pure black' image showed the difference the best i thought
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 19:27   #18
NovaBurn
What's a Dremel?

NovaBurn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow that article was amazing. even from the low res of the pictures and video one could definitely see the difference in the picture quality. I had to take a double take to see that the basic on test showed nothing for the brightside. WOW

So it was mentioned that the display is able to extrapolate HDR from an LDR source, This is done on the display itself? Is there no special dvd player/other connection needed then I take it?

Now sure that the display is omgwtfbbq at displaying blacks and whites at extremely good contrast and brightness, was there any issues with the colors being oversaturated to the point it looked overkill or anything of the like?
NovaBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 19:31   #19
kiljoi
I *am* a computer king.

kiljoi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Holy true-black Batman! I so want one. That first side-by-side image really blew me away. Hard to believe the other monitor is actually turned on. This looks to be quite amazing. Especially for someone who's still on a 15' CRT. :|
Old 3rd Oct 2005, 19:46   #20
r3Q
Supermodder

r3Q has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
that is incredible. good thing i have not bought an LCD or HDTV, lol - im still running my 21" CRT -_-

in another few years this technology should get out and be a bit more affordable. but by then we will have all kinds of new crap

i want it now