Just another nobody

WilHarris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Microsoft Media Center Keyboard

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...ard_mce/1.html

WilHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2005, 10:48   #2
Mister_Tad
Serious about coffee

Mister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming Saiyan
that article has just saved me a tidy wad of cash, was going to buy one this week and hadn't seen it at scan (£65 at ocuk!)

Mister_Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2005, 11:33   #3
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looks like a nice bit of kit... but will it work with win2k, i've never gotten round to upgrading.
steveo_mcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2005, 11:50   #4
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
would've been nice to see a trackpad or even trackball over the crappy nipple thing, really hate them
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2005, 11:53   #5
ralph.pickering
Supermodder

ralph.pickering has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice, but I'm still leaning toward the Belkin MediaPilot, especially as, like steveo_mcq I haven't got round to upgrading to Media Center (yet?)
ralph.pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2005, 13:06   #6
Mister_Tad
Serious about coffee

Mister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I was leaning towards the mediapilot until I used it

If youre using it for an htpc, I'd definitely say go for the MS one, as the "mouse" on the mediapilot is about as useful as a kick in the face
Mister_Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2005, 13:19   #7
Edenalig
Modder

Edenalig has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just brought myself one of these, im expecting it tomorrow. Ill let you guys know what I think as soon as
Edenalig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2005, 14:25   #8
FIBRE+
I *am* a Dremel

FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Hit us with the crotch shot why dont you, I know your game meelado!

Anyway...

Thanks for posting this up, the keyboard that is, not the crotch shot. I was thinking about buying one to go with me media pc once its built and I think thats settled it, well so long as I can get the reciever for not too much (ebay). Are they infared, radio or ??
FIBRE+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2005, 14:35   #9
Marquee
Mac Pro Modder

Marquee has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks nice but why a keyboard now when the LCD keyboard is coming out next yaer. It will be fully customized to what ever you want.
Old 5th Oct 2005, 14:35   #10
kickarse
Ultramodder

kickarse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good review except for a couple of things...

Battery life, range, rf, bluetooth, response?
Zero State Reflex - I'm Splintering
Hot Hot Heat - Middle of No Where
-
www.nerges.net

kickarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2005, 14:47   #11
herbs
Nobody but us chickens

herbs has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why does it have to be IR so probably line of sight, RF would be so much better but I do like the backlight that would come in handy.

A police recruit was asked during the exam, "What would you do if you had to arrest your own mother?" He said, "Call for backup."

"you could have it all, my empire of dirt, I will let you down, I will make you hurt"
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2005, 15:03   #12
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
We'll be finding out a little bit more on the extended use of this (as well as the greater annoyances that this may provide) with the rest of our HTPC content, as I think this will be an addition to our setup.

So, never fear...more info will arrive over time if you're not sure you want to take the plunge. I'm a little worried about what my Mrs. will have to say about the nipple, though, tbh...
Old 5th Oct 2005, 15:22   #13
dom_
--->

dom_ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
if its like the normal remote, it doesnt have to be line of site. just in the same room. the remote even works with the reciever covered up with my hand!
dom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2005, 18:33   #14
Stompy
Ultramodder

Stompy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeh, the IR tech used in the MCE remotes is brilliant

Find my MPG
Stompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2005, 20:35   #15
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823109151
Just in case anyone prefers the english version of the keyboard, rather than French.

I'd be interested in getting one regardless.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2005, 04:15   #16
Green Soda
Hypermodder

Green Soda has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
With some practice, I've become pretty good at tweaking the nipple perfectly, and can now perform impressive gesticular movements.
^_^ Out of context that sounds so wrong.

::kna::> And if you donít agree with me, you know where you can stick it.

<Taganath> Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!
Green Soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2005, 11:15   #17
JonDixon
Decking is the new modding

JonDixon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ive had this keyboard for over 3 weeks now and its great. I find it really comfortable perched on my knees doing a quick web search or email in front of the telly.

The nipple bit takes a bit of practice, but soon comes second nature. What may have been an additional nice touch would have been to replace this with the touch sensative pads you get on most notebooks which could be extracted from a slide out door. But thats just me and it would put the cost up.

Other than that the backlighting is really useful, and I think its a really good combination with the remote for most tasks.

Rizeon S97V-GT - Awesome Gaming Laptop
JonDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2005, 16:55   #18
LAGMonkey
Group 7 error

LAGMonkey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nipple mice do take a while to get used to, but i find that you can perfrom better guestures with the nipple than with a touch pad. It looks Very nice but as already stated there isnt realy and long term testing like bettery life. Hell that one could be estimated. All in all tho a good read.

http://www.xkcd.com
100% Brainless]
LAGMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2006, 23:50   #19
eek
CAMRA ***.

eek has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just got one of these but am having trouble getting it working properly.

My new media PC contains this and the Leadtek WinFast DTV1000 T TV Card and I did plan on using this keyboard with the reciever however the only buttons that seem to function are the ones that it is taught (TV and volume). Am I going to need to get the MCE hardware kit or is there something I am doing wrong?

I don't get why a wireless kb isn't packaged with a reciever, it's stupid! May have to pay an additional £20 for something that should have really come with it in the first place, and a remote that isn't needed!
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2006, 10:40   #20
Edenalig
Modder

Edenalig has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek
Just got one of these but am having trouble getting it working properly.

My new media PC contains this and the Leadtek WinFast DTV1000 T TV Card and I did plan on using this keyboard with the reciever however the only buttons that seem to function are the ones that it is taught (TV and volume). Am I going to need to get the MCE hardware kit or is there something I am doing wrong?

I don't get why a wireless kb isn't packaged with a reciever, it's stupid! May have to pay an additional £20 for something that should have really come with it in the first place, and a remote that isn't needed!
Am I to assume that the WinFast card has its own IR receiver? Or do you have an MS remote and receiver? Also are you actually running an MCE2005 PC or just XP?

The idea of the keyboard is for MCE users (who would already have the remote/receiver) to add keyboard functionality. So buying this if you dont have MCE and/or the MCE remote kind of defeats the object!
Edenalig is offline   Reply With Quote