1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lian Li pc90 - Pre rebuild stages

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by huren, 13 Oct 2005.

1. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

• Lian Li pc90

What is a pc90 i hear u saying in the back of your mind ?
      Lian li pc90 is made up as u can pretty much guess a lian li case, But this is different, not just one case, but 2 case's that will be modified to make one.
      Take 2 x lian li pc60 alloy mid tower cases.
      A jig saw crazy alcoholic.
      and u end up with 1 1/2 lian li pc60's to make a pc90.

• The hardware department

Dfi Lanparty NF4 Ultra-d sli-mod
      AMD 939 3500+
      Corsair xmspro series dual channel 1gig kit / mushkin redline
      2 x bfg7800gtx
      enermax 485watt
      3 x 200ata
      Writemaster dual layer dvd-rw
      crystalfontz 20 x 4 blue display
      sony ps1 screen

• The cooling department

1 x dangerden tdx copper
      2 x nv78 gpu blocks + ocz ramsinks
      1 x dangerden hd block
      2 x dangerden mag pumps
      1 x alphacool chrome bix2
      1 x alphacool chrome bix3
      2 x pcustoms custom dual 5" bay res

Please feel free to post any comments, questions, likes, and dislikes in my comment thread.

Last edited: 22 May 2006
  2. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Lian Li pc90 - acrylic shots 18 / 01 / 06

all comments towards my lian li pc90 case mod go here.
    The good, the bad, advice, anything u feel liek saying, just come out and say it =D

and last but not least i thought id be brave and enter myself in with the best

[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Jan 2006
  3. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Now in this uber pro designer layout, the design was based on a previously owned abit NF7-s board , but gives u a good idea on what direction im going...
    [​IMG]

the standard case in all its glory
    [​IMG]

Ive lost a few of the early pictures, but heres where were at with the 1st of the hacking
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now as u can see in my uber pro sketch, the rad will be mounted in the lower of the case.
    ive opted for this over a top mount, 1# to be different, 2# i cant fit it on top =D
    [​IMG]

And the resulting wound in the bottom of the case where air will be drafted up and through.
    [​IMG]

4. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

A quick wonky test fit to give u an idea of the height of the beast.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Now i didnt manage to get any pictures of the building process of the air box, but here it is in its proto-type stages, as another might be made later on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    u can see theres a plexi floor in the case under the air box, this is what it will be glued to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now with all fitting nice and tidy i decided to throw a little bit of bog into it as i wasnt to happy with the way it looked, and i wanted it nice and smooth.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and for the little imprefections i use this little beauty,which is a single pac fine filler from sikkens
    [​IMG]
    and after a few minutes its ready for a quick p400 scuff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Well today didnt start with any modding on the case as such, but more a mod of my working area underneath my house.
    Me and my family ( wife, kids ) have just moved house, and everything was pretty much just slammed under the house with about 5 minutes of organising before we hit the beers =D.
    And to top that off ive been waiting 3 weeks for ADSL to be connected, living the 56k life is so yawn, no uploading, downloading :(
    BUT now i have ADSL theres nothing stopping the hored of pictures and updates flowing in.

this is what my workshop was liek this morning
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ive stolen the upstairs dvd player and surround system for my workshop as it beats my singing
    [​IMG]

and if you are wondering y i have a blender on my workbench, your guess is as good as mine.

7. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

And now as u walk into my little workshop a nice clean view =D
    [​IMG]
    Ample storage for, stuff and things like yeah
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The pc put together desk
    [​IMG]
    and my water cooling test table / bog board
    [​IMG]

After all that hard work, i first of course sat down and had a nice refreshing beer ( x 5 ), followed by playing around with the playstation one thurstmaster 5" screen i obtained.
    As of yet i havnt managed to get the little prick working, trial and error, but all i seem to be getting is error :(

8. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

When i brought the screen off our local auction site trademe it came with the console, 2 x controllers and 3 x games for $100NZD or roughly $70us =D
    [​IMG]
    I couldnt wait to get it out of its casing and going
    [​IMG]
    video out
    [​IMG]
    video in stripped
    [​IMG]
    according to the wiring diagram i found from " Brian Walker aka bEE2643 on bit-tech ", this is where im ment to be going from.....
    [​IMG]
    and heres my pro sketch work again as a guide for the garage
    [​IMG]
    The vga plug
    [​IMG]
    got_beergoggles ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now ive got it wired up but still isnt working
    so itll be back to the net to re read the guide i was working off which was for a genuine sony lcd, and then maybe read the thrustaster one i found on another site, but lost the link too >.<

Last edited: 13 Oct 2005
  9. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Today i thought that id take a trip to the local hardware supplier and grab some 1/2" copper barbs so i can start a new res for the project.
    The idea was to make this res dark tint front and rear with all the inner walls mirror, but i dont think that this is going to work out to great as the mirror plexi doesnt like to stick without a bit of a scuff, and in turn that removes the mirror coating.
    So ill just have to see what i can do, but im more then happy to just have it tinted front rear, with black sides, top, and bottom.

.........................a few hours later......................

Well i havnt been to the hardware store yet, been busy helping hte wife with the housework :)
    But once that was done it straight off to the work shop to get some much needed work done ^_^.

Now ill get onto the front panel a little bit later on but for now lets get this res on its way.
    The res will take up the complete 5" bay in the lower part of the case.
    [​IMG]
    my weapon of choice
    [​IMG]
    always safty precautions
    [​IMG]
    and u should always follow them
    [​IMG]
    now lets get down to some action =D
    [​IMG]
    this is the front panel of the res, the plan is for it to sit snug as a bug in a rug, as u can see it does.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the acrylic is 6mm so this should hold the large mass of water without any stress worries :]
    [​IMG]
    and all the required pieces cut and ready to be glued, and tapped =]
    [​IMG]

Please feel free to post any comments, questions, likes, and dislikes in my comment thread.

10. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

eeek, ive just noticed that afew of my pictures are a tad on the large size.
    So ill resize them now, so its just that little bit more 56k friendly :p

11. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

next on the list was the gluing stages
    [​IMG]
    sides ready to be glued
    [​IMG]
    but first i thought id better do the tapping for the inlet / outlet barbs in the rear piece before i got too carried away, which i started with this bad boy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    splitter glued in place
    [​IMG]
    all sides glued bar the top and front
    [​IMG]
    and all taped up, not to much pressure as the glue doesnt need that much to make a desent contact, and not to mention to mcuh pressure puts it out of shape and squirts the gule outside of the joins, which isnt what we want for a water tight item.
    [​IMG]

now all that remains is to allign the res with the front panel, glue it in place, screw in the barbs, leak test, then wait for mydangerden fill pot too arrive.
    The fill pot will extend from the top of the res, to the top of the case which you'll get to see later in the log.

Feel free too comment in the comments thread.

12. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

now i went down to the hardware store and picked up the xtra barb for the res that i was missing, but the problem was that they didnt have any 1/2" barbs only 3/8" which is just going to have to do untill i can get out to buy one.
    The threads the same so thats really all that matters at the moment for water testing :)

and just to be safe some good 'ol thread tape
    [​IMG]
    just a little bit
    [​IMG]
    marked out centre on the front panel for the res to be glued.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    not a bad little tint which should look all good once filled with water.
    [​IMG]
    a spare 5" rack will be used to house the res, which will be held in via 6mm spacers on either side of the res.
    [​IMG]
    the lower case is held together from the orig. support for the rear of the lian li cases.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and of course feel free to comment :D

13. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Well ive just been in my Professional hardware manufacturing Lab. for the last hour or so going over a little bit of leak testing, and im glad to say that its 100% leak free and sealed.
    Now one of the Bonus's about having the res in the bottom segment, is if the worst case does happen and it decides to spring a leak of sorts, i dont have too worry about any of my hardware comming into contact with the water.
    But thank the man above that im such a 1337 guy, and this wont be happening :p

just a little front shot, using the mcp650 for the test runs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

well its time for me to probly go get ready for work, so no more modding for the time being, I dont finish till 4am :<

feel free to comment

14. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

15. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

That looks awesome, but what would be cool is to fill the radiator with black water - food dye or summat. Apart from that methinks it is pretty awesome

16. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Did you re do the rivets and pop the motherboard try on backwards?

17. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Morning ppl and thanks for the replys.

*@ Confused Fishcake: When u mean radiator, u mean the complete loop do u not ?
    But as for the food colouring idea ill auctally be putting some blue uv reactive anti-freeze that a friend of mine has, which will go with the new X-FLO rads ill be getting, as they are blue.

*@ kickarse: i was wondering if anyone was going to notice that so early on in the log, the answer is Yes.
    The motherboard has been mounted E-ATX? liek that of the v10xx etc.
    Ive taken a few photos this morning to give u guys a little look at how i went about doing it.
    I think case's look alot better with mobo's like this, and imo it makes cable tidying so much easyer, as i found on my CM Stacker.

Cheers for the replys, i look forward to many more =D

18. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Well good morning or evening, depending where in this crazy world u all come from, its time for a little update none the less.....

Now a few ppl have noticed that the mobo is mounted e-atx, so heres a few picture for it.

The bit-tech required foot shot.
    can u spot whats gone on with the rear of the case ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now on the rear of the mother board tray there is ment to be a guide slider at the top for support, which since i started i seem to have lost the 2 i had off both cases.
    [​IMG]
    But this isnt a biggie as i still have the lower slider of case 2 which will work just as good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Next up was my dremmel wannabe which works wicked. and @ only a mere fraction of the genuine dremmel cost.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the resulting cut off
    [​IMG]
    now this piece will be rivited at the end of the tray just for that little xtra support.
    As u can just see ive drilled 2 1/8th holes for fixturing it too the case.
    [​IMG]
    and the nice short form rivets i use.
    [​IMG]
    and it riveted into place, it could have done with being about 2-3mm lower, but itll serve its purpose :)
    [​IMG]

but thats all from me for now, hope u enjoy my log, and please put you're comments be they good are bad in the comment thread.

20. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Now ive already put the front panel together, and allpyed the bog not bondo but bog to the area, im yet too sand it which ill get on to tomorrow some time.
    As i plan to have the case painted by the end of next week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the inside of the front panel doesnt look too attractive at this point, the acrylic is acting as a straight edge for the time being and will be removed as will all the slops of bog.
    [​IMG]
    mmm 680mm of tower =D
    [​IMG]
    and a quick on ewith the res in place.
    [​IMG]
    and the last shot of the morning before i go to bed as ive just gotten home from work @ 330am nzt.
    My next toy to wire up, dot matrix.
    [​IMG]

well untill tomorrow folks, i plan to get alot done, so stay tuned for updates.
    And please please comment here
    :)