1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare confirmed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 Apr 2007.

1. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

This should be interesting... I have trust in Infinity Ward though, they have delivered in the past and CoD is their baby, their creation.

2. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Earth shattering.

Ok, not really. But however, I am glad to see the CoD series moving away from WWII. I mean, it was probably one of the most important events in human history, but how many video games need to be made about it? I have a great respect for the people who fought in that war and died in that war, and every time some clone WWII shooter it sensationalizes the war and pushes the reality of the situation more into fantasy.

One of the things about the CoD series that was so great was that it was non-fictional. When playing the game you get a special respect for the situation because you know that the game that you are playing is recreating battles that actually happened. Its one of the few things that gave CoD its epic feeling. Now, in completely fictional settings, it's just gonna be another western-forces-destroy-generic-terrorists shooter. Now, with Infinity Ward creating it, I will give it the benefit of the doubt and hold judgment until the reviews come out.

Funny thing, I was digging through a closet looking for an old keyboard yesterday and I came across my grandfathers K-Bar. He was a "frogman" in the pacific theater during the war. Basically a frogman was the precursor to Navy Special Forces known as S.E.A.L.S. I've known we had this for a while, but it managed to pop up yesterday at a random time. Basically his main job during the war was recon/scout. He would swim out to islands and create maps and formulate intel in preparation for landings.

Anyway, getting to the point here, I was examining the knife and found several small notches etched in along the hand guard on the knife. I don't think I need to point out what those etches mean. But holding that object and knowing where it's been, what it was used for is...kind of surreal. Like...I can't even comprehend what it must have been like.

I don't know, I guess I'm just a WWII nerd.

3. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

I have to agree! The best moments of the original CoD (and indeed, the most remembered) were those when you just had to leg it. No matter how many times you make that run up the Russian beach without a rifle, from the original CoD, you still feel like one lucky SOB to get through without being shot. It was those manic moments that made it for me..

Just by producing a WW1 title, with the reality of what it was like for soldiers in those battles, I think there's the scope for more than just a few adrenaline-filled moments.

On the other hand, maybe there's a balance to be struck? The over-all experience might be lost on something like the stalemate of the trenches, but do remember that there was much more to WW1 than just trench warfare.

Plenty of chances to go back in time for CoD5 though, I guess :D

That'd be enough to bring a lump to my throat. I guess you can go to as many war museums as you like, but to actually hold something in your hand which has had such a strong connection to a member of your family, and therefore yourself .. It's humbling.

4. zndkwin

zndkwin What's a Dremel?

As long as you can fight both sides, not just the superl33t great US forces, I'm in.

5. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

6. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Don't worry you're not the only one that would react that way...

Tags: Add Tags