1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 has become a 'whipping boy'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Jul 2007.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'll agree that Sony has become the internet whipping boy. Unfortunately I think it's probably about 80% Sony's fault.

2. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

I would say Sony and the PS3 has become a whipping boy, fair enough Sony made some mistakes but I am not willing to put down a console based on what Sony have done its based on the quality of the content and games and Ive got to say if I wanted a Blu Ray DVD player the PS3 would be an attractive proposition to me.

Sadly most people on this forum seem to have a fairly one sided opinion from what I've seen in the past.

btw this is from a 360 console owner like I say aint even played the PS3 ;)

3. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

First off, nice grammar! :thumb: Secondly, you haven't played the PS3 yet? Dude, go down to your local tech store and play it, especially Motorstorm. That game really showcases what the PS3 can handle. The physics, graphics and gameplay are really topknotch...

4. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Didn't the PS2 sell 125,000 consoles in two hours through only the internet? "I think" doesn't really qualify something as a fact.

The reason the PS3 has been getting flak is because its a piece of crap, not because its just been in the wrong place at the wrong time and fallen into the crosshairs of major organizations all around the world. Sony needs to seriously get out of the web-papers before they permanently loose whats left of their respectability and status.

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

the exact same thing happened to nintendo when they were on top and released the 64

what is sony complaining about...

6. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

There are two types of "DX10" games.

The first is a DX9 engine with some DX10 features slapped on top, this tends to cause a fairly large performance hit as you are just giving more to do without taking advantage of any performance improvements.

The second is an engine built around DX10 from the ground up, these apparently offer massive performance improvements and/or allow for better features to be turned on without suffering the same hit as you would with the DX9+ engine.

All of the "DX10" games out so far fall into the former category so aren't really good games to judge anything by (other than slapping DX10 features onto a DX9 engine isn't the hottest idea in the world) There is also the fact as reported repeatedly here by Bit-Tech's own Tim, that DX10 drivers still have a ways to go untill they are up to the same standard as the DX9 ones have managed in the what 4-5 years they've been around ?

Oh on the topic of losing exclusives and such, I was happy to read yesterday that haze is also coming to PC :) I'm looking forward to that one.

Last edited: 3 Jul 2007
  7. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

No more than Microsoft or Nintendo.

8. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

This reminds me of when Vista sold only 244 copies in the Rep. of China.

9. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

With due respect mate, there's no 600€ PC that can play games at more than 1 FPS. Unless your idea of "games" is Tetris and Bejeweled. That you may have found a nice offer from a desperate friend doesn't mean that a high-end PC is better gaming value than a PS3 (or X360 for that matter).

Regarding the PS3 I agree completely with the Insomniac guys. Bashing the PS3 is the new family sport. The amount of crap it's getting is simply mind-blowing. It's no more expensive than PS2 or PS at launch time. It's a much more open console than Microsoft's (Hey MS, 120€ for a 120Gb Hdd? :eyebrow:). It's a helluva media center (specially with the new firmware updates). Unlike the X360 it doesn't break once a week and twice on Sundays nor does it sound like a 747. And it's shiny. And the same people that are spending 600€ on an iPhone and should be drooling over one are bashing it because some rootkit Sony used once and giving MS a free pass despite having a sub-par console (from a manufacturing point of view) and despite their business practices being traditionally worse.

To hell with all those jumping the "bashSony" bandwagon. I'm getting one this afternoon :D

Had to chime in here ;)

Nobody knows yet. If I had to, I'd bet one monthly wage that it's just hype. DX10 will bring a massive performance hit, DX10 parts or not. There'll be Crysis at 1900x1080@30FPS with anything else than SLI'ed 8800GTX or worse...

10. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

And that is as good a reason as any to get one :D

11. devdevil85

For the $120 more than what the Elite costs, you get the ability (over the 360) to use the PS3 with a wireless keyboard and mouse, as a wireless media server, an upscalable DVD player (1080p for regular DVDs), a native 1080p DVD Player, a dual screen setup w/ both screens at 1080p (thanks to the 2 digital video outputs on the back), and the ability to upgrade the HD w/ any SATA interfaced HD. Not too shabby huh? Sadly, as of right now, not many people will be able to use the PS3 to it's full potential and the next big reason why it's not selling: no must-have titles, but I must say that $120 over the Elite really isn't bad in the big picture if you have the money, but you're better off waiting until Xmas when more titles debut and who knows.....rumble maybe by then?

Well it looks a whole lot better than that boring beige or off-black 360 (especially when it's sitting in your Home Theater setup). It's also got heat-sensitive controls which is also pretty sweet when they're all lit up at night.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Theres only 1 HDMI, the second HDMI was dropped once v1.3 was specced as it has adequate bandwith for the HD Audio and Video, shame really as its a PITA to split the signal for an amp and TV with out Passthrough, I really wish it had two HDMI.

13. Bladestorm

We've had the software developers, hardware developers and multiple big-league game developers all saying the same thing, and the technical articles seem to make a lot of sense in backing it up, so I'd be very surprised if it was just hype.

14. devdevil85

Holy crap you're right sandys. Like I've said before, I don't own a PS3 and I remember reading that it did, but on Sony's website it shows (1) HDMI 1.3 output. Well, 1.3 does offer multiple advantages over 2.0 so I guess it was worth it considering 2% of all PS3 owners could afford/understand how to use a dual monitor/screen setup. I also forgot to include backwards compatibility for PS1 and PS2 games (Full/native in North America + Half-assed/emulated in the EU) on the list, too, which is also a biggie to me considering I have like 50 PS1 and 40 PS2 games.

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

EU emulation isn't so half assed anymore, I use it all the time, PS1 is supposed to be perfect, and from what I have played PS2 is pretty bloody good.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Why would you not be suprised? they are all trying to sell you something, they are not going to tell you yes, its going to be crap until our next release of hardware as you won't buy anything, Everyone wants to tell you it will be fine, Hardware manufacturers want to assure you that your new cards will be fine for the next gen DX10 games because you won't buy anything otherwise, if you buy it and these performance gains don't come, not their problem, it supports DX10 we never said how fast, you have to upgrade.

The game devs will tell you that the game will runs fine with almost anything you throw at it because they want you to buy the game, if it doesn't work well when you've bought it tough, turn the options down or you'll be expected to upgrade.

Vista didn't just come out yesterday, the RC was out what 18 months ago and was pretty solid, so hardware manufacturers have had more than 6 months to come up with something.

17. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Which is part of the reason Europe doesnt like the PS3, we feel we got cheated when they removed full backward compatibility and didn't reduce the price enough to compensate.

18. devdevil85

I was just saying that sandys because I personally don't own a PS3 and I live in the US so I don't know how the EU emulation compares to what everyone else is saying (which usually isn't good at all). From what titles I have seen that are supported, I personally don't think it's that bad, but some of the newest PS2 titles aren't supported so I can understand why others think it's "crap", but I personally don't think so....it's a HECK of a lot better than the 360's especially when you consider the emulator can support 1500+ titles (and growing) vs. the 150 or so on the 360 which 20 or so of them are also 360 games.....

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think the problem that many of us Europeans have (at least this is my perspective, but I don't think I'm in a minority) is the fact that Sony advertised 100 percent backwards compatibility on every PS3 yet when the PS3 arrived in Europe, it was no longer 100 percent backwards compatible. Microsoft never said backwards compatibility would be 100 percent so it's not so much of an issue, although of course I'm sure many Xbox/Xbox 360 gamers would love better backwards compatibility on their new console.

20. Bladestorm

At least one of the developers that comes to mind is CCP games, developers of eve-online, who think DX10 is so big a "Paradigm shift" that it was worth hiring a lot of new graphics devs and making a whole new engine for from the ground up, they think its going to be something special and there is no extra money in it for them specifically, nor will they stop supporting the old engine (which still looks pretty good today, even though it was made 7 years ago)

Its in there interest to introduce new and improved graphics to attract and keep players, but if they didn't think it was going to be something special they'd only have bothered going with a new DX9 engine which would have a lot more potential customers.

Age of Conan is also doing DX10 from the ground up and if its just going to make the game harder to run it would be commercial suicide, since it would put a big limit on how many people can realistically play the game and thus subscribe.

Its groups like that which really have me convinced, not nvida or ati or microsoft or any of the FPS who often go on and on about graphics to the exclusion of gameplay anyhow.

Tags: Add Tags