1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Lighting: Old School Cool or not anymore?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Guest-16, 3 Jul 2007.

?

Case window & lighting

1. Old school cool

134 vote(s)
    68.7%
  2. Just crap and horrid

61 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Darv

Darv Bling!!

I've got myself a Lian Li PC60 with a window and white lights. I say its old school cool. I still think windows and lights can look good if they are subtle. Not a load of flashing multicoloured lights in a cheap premod case.

Having said that, my next mod won't have any windows, internal lights but that's because it'll be an htpc.

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

As long as it's done well/tastefully, old-school can really work well.

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I like mods like that. I like most mods as long as it doesn't look a bit half-arsed. But IMO, any time more than one color of lighting/highlight color is used the case just looks much worse to me.

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I think a few more options should be added to reflect the different types of lighting methods since they all look different. I'm up for the classic cold cathode, as long as it matches a theme. Can't stand LEDs, sound-reactive or UV, though, because I don't want a bioreactive lightshow eminating from my computer. Keep the lighting simple and clean.

5. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I look for cases without windows or blazing bright blue LEDs.

6. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Ah, i still love 'em oldskool at heart - big black moulding on a dragon case = sweet :)

7. Cerenkov

Cerenkov What's a Dremel?

I'm still a fan of a nice lit up window mod. I just prefer my windows in shapes :p

And blue LEDs work well if you position them properly...

8. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

Problem with case windows or clear acrylic cases are that everyone who would care about a modded case knows what a motherboard and daughter boards looks like, and unless that motherboard or daughter boards are something special who cares?

So unless you're building a Orac3 or a technological marvel (dual processors, quad SLI, Raided Raptors x24, LN2 cooling) leave case windows to manufacturer's trade shows. That said modding is still a personal artistic hobby and if that artistic vision is old school cool and you can pull it off then go for it.

9. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Well true, everybody knows what the parts look like - in the technical circles at least.

Neat cabling and well cut windows, along with a subtle white (or yellow hue'd) light can turn your system's interior into a work of art for those not so good around systems. The same goes for meticulous routing of UV sleeving and the like. When it's not on the "show floor" so to speak? Just switch the lights off.

10. dutchcedar

dutchcedar What's a Dremel?

That's the perfect answer.

To each his own.

excuse the post snippin' spec... :hip:

Now personally, I use a few green cathodes behind dark green plex and when they're off, its black. When they're on, its all lit up. Works for me. :lol:

11. topher

topher SHam!

Mods

I think modding has evolved now to be more about the shape and design of the case, rather than just banging in a window and a few eyeburning led's.

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I think windows are OK, and lighting needs to be subtle, with the abilitity to trun them off.

I'm sitting next to an original Coolermaster ATCS 201 without a panel, and have to say that it is a cool case and look damn good without lights or anything of that sort.

Only problem is the harware inside.

13. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

Yes it does depend on how it is done if it's "classic" then you can totally tell.. but when it is freaking "THERMAL TAKE" and its's all pre-loaded and they buy it because it soooo cooool! Ugh. Big plastic, ugly pieces of crap with salmagundi of tribal patterns and cheap. And now they come pre-loaded with terrible PSU's, and cobra faces and robot stuff.

You guys did do it pretty much first. Here in the U.S. my friends and I totally love this site, and the window + lights craze was pretty huge. Not so much anymore.

14. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

... it's always been crap and horrid...

15. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

i used to like lit cases, but very few are done in a nice sleek style i like lately. As for my own PC its just a black v1000 without a window. not too show-offy

16. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Modding scene isnt what it used to be.

17. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Almost anything can be ruined if done wrong and though a window and some lights has become a bit mainstream now there still are some good new ones.

18. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

some case lighting can be pretty cool, but the majority, like 90% of it is a complete waste of time, and if you don't make the inside of your case look nice, your also wasting your time

plus its frigging annoying to have a lit case in a dark room

19. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I have DFI Lanparty UT which is about 50% UV reactive so pair that up with orange cable sleeving so UV lights work wonders. but it really all depends on how the lighting is done and if the case is in a tidy condition or not.

20. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

I can't really comment unbias-ly right now, seeing as im sitting next to a Thermaltake Soprano with the massive "X" window which is light up by the blue PSU and the red cathodes..... haha

But yeh, my case at the moment is bearable, its not bright and lary, its, actually quite subtle as you cant see any of the lights. But most of the time, with very VERY inexperienced modders, they come along and say, look at this blinding case mod ive just done, it took 4 weeks, and finally its done, then they post a picture of this see through acrylic case with 50 cathodes and 3000 led's lining the edges of every component. It just looks crap and wasnt worth the effort tbh.

I'm very much supporting of electronics and the way electronically controlled mecahnical aspects of mdos can be incorporated. Oh and yes, i have one in the pipeline that does just that. Still in design, have been for the past 3 months.

dragon ;)