1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Network Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kbates666, 5 Jul 2007.

1. kbates666

kbates666 What's a Dremel?

Need Help Explained in Pic
    [​IMG]

2. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

You don't need router 3 to assign IPs, the computers can do that themselves.

3. kbates666

I don't have a crossover cable and even if I did Router 1 would still try to assign IP's to all the components managed by Router 2.

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

[​IMG]

If you are involving wires you may as well entirely wire one section of your network assuming that the print server is litterally in the same room as system 1a.
    Unless there are more systems that are wireless in the same region as 1a which have not been displayed I think it's all unnecessary equipment having router 2 and 3, may as well run a switch and plug everything near 1a into the network or if the wireless router is a 4-port switch also (as most are) then just run 2 wires from it down to Print Server and 1a.

Crikey I hope this makes sense as I'm managing to confuse even myself.

In short;

If you are going to wire Comp 1 to Comp 1a may as well cut out some equipment as you are running wires anyway.

5. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

No it wouldn't, it would assign one to the MAC address of the wifi card.

For example, my router assigns the IP address 192.168.2.x, and this is the output of ifconfig:
    Code:
    ath0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:18:4D:77:98:21  
              inet addr:192.168.2.2  Bcast:192.168.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::218:4dff:fe77:9821/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:120590 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:119985 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:73896118 (70.4 Mb)  TX bytes:13271709 (12.6 Mb)

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:18:F3:34:49:F4  
              inet addr:192.168.0.2  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
              Interrupt:20 
    As you can see, eth0 is not affected by dhcp.

6. kbates666

No thats the problem while the computers 1 and 1a are in the same room they are both on separate networks. 1a is my main PC, I upgraded to a higher G router and G wireless bridge to increase my signal and transfer speeds. So in a nutshell Router 1 is a combination modem/router made by 2wire for our DSL, it is only a B wireless device. So I brought a new router(Router 2) and chained it on to the modem/router (Router 1). Unfortunately Computer 1 happens to be my Web Server/Media Server which is connected though HPNA to Router 1. Your first thought is to just change Computer 1 over to Router 2, which is what I tried to do at first, but for some reason Router 1 and Router 2 wont correctly route the request to my server. Second you might say move Computer 1 from the room with computer 1a to being directly at Router 1 to get rid of the middle man (two routers) but the problem's are that 1. then I would not have convenient access to the hardware and 2. The file transfer rates between Computer 1 and Computer 1a would still suck.

Others would say just drop the Wireless B router and use only the G, problem is while I see increased speed and connection in my part of the house other computers see a better connection with the B wireless Router.

Its a Big mess I know

Unfortunatly I can not explain the problem clear enough for you to really get what I'm saying but I'll give it one more go. When I connect the two networks of Router 1 and Router 2 together(by connecting computer 1 and computer 1a together in anyway) Both routers try to govern the network of the other Router. So right after I establish a connection, linking both computers together, the internet on both computers goes dead. I assumed it was a Routing error but I am beginning to suspect that I might be a windows configuration problem.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2007
  7. kbates666

New Question

Ok, new question forget all about the other one. I ran a Cat5e cable from my office to my Bedroom. When I plug in my new router at one end and a computer at the other it works fine, but when I try to connect it to something else like a hub or switch, the hub or switch acts like nothings there(no lights or No connection). If I use my old router and nothing I connect on the other end works(computer, switch, hub, other router).

What could be causing this?

Tags: