1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Early Barcelona performance looks good

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Jul 2007.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i agree, i will change :D

2. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

well if their 2.6 part beats intel's 2.6 part - that's good news in my eyes - assuming the price is similar, its hard to tell until we get it though, and as they are AMD's benchmarks, its hard to judge the validity

So really, we are back where we were, we will know when its released

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

The document was leaked to me, not given to me via an "official" source (i.e. someone inside AMD via an AMD email address).

4. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

If you're the type of person who always has the latest and greatest components then you may well end up zig-zag stepping between AMD and Intel for the latest best processor (Ignoring fanboy clinging). Unless Barcelona ends up better than Intel's post die shrink architecture, which I think unlikely. I think it'll take an awful lot for AMD to get going again.

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I wonder how the dual core line-up will match though, since Barcelona is the Quad core and more server oriented

6. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

- It's still the same architecture, whether dual or quad core, server or mainstream chips.
    However, AMD's much-hyped (by them) advantage from being single die, native quad core will obviously be lost when competing on the dual core front, so yes, it will be very interesting!

- Right, after thinking about this, I'm not nearly as worried about the validity of AMD's 'simulated' 2.6GHz scores as by the implications of them being simulated:
    Presuming that they've accurately scaled the Opteron's result to 2.6Ghz means it should be valid.

However, what concerns me is that they needed to do that in the first place!
    - Even back in April (or Feb as it may be) they should surely have had some working 2.6GHz parts to run benches on...
    As per usual, it seems AMD may have clockspeed issues with their new chips!

Oh dear.

Last edited: 5 Jul 2007
  7. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

their advantage will also be much greater on servers, where proper use of multiple cores is made

8. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Well the dev cycles are out of sync. So it's hard to compare each manufacturers product with the other. Ok Intel has quad core, but AMD will bring out native quads (if they pull their fingers out), however to the average Joe, they couldn't care. Intel are the 'best' atm and will be for some time. The market viewpoint from our sides are complex. But to other people it's simple black and white. Intel faster and cheaper, so that's what they'll buy.

9. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

any good news for AMD is good news to me, even if it's still a little bit shady. Long live the underdog!

10. f00dl3

f00dl3 What's a Dremel?

Odd, the previous article stating AMD posted outdated info about the performance was removed.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

Tags: Add Tags