1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony modifies PS2, discusses price cut in Europe

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Lies, sony hates europeans.

also, even after a price cut, the PS3 is missing 1 critical function for me; Multi-region PS2 support. If it had that, I would be ALOT happier about spending my hard-earned cash on it.

3. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Surely it should be the playstation 2.2 owing to the fact that it's the 3rd revision?
    The PS3 is still an overprices games console. Regardless of how much you get for your £400, they're never going to sell well enough until they're within £50 of the 360- a console that can be had with 2 controllers and 2 games for £250 atm. The PS2 does interest me a little bit- I've got an Xbox but would never turn down an addition to the console line up. Just a shame that the slim PS2 is £90 at work (with the 'original' being £40).

<A88>

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Why?

5. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Because Sony Playstation 2 games have been outselling even the Xbox360 for more than a year.

6. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Also the Playstation2 console has been out selling the Xbox 360 console. :)

Smaller and lighter Ps2 makes it an even better choice for cars. Should slid nicely in the pouch on the back of any car seat and still have leg room :)

PS2 is still selling strong and making a S**T load of cash with its console sales and games sales.

7. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

well actually

the latest information i could find shows we are up to the v15 PS2
    V1 - 11 were the old fat PS2
    V12 - 15 are the new slim PS2's

however i couldn't find out if the v15 is the newer lighter model or not

however the v15 does have a new
    • Optical Block
    • Bios
    • DVD controller

I also couldn't see any mention of a new PS2 version on my usual PS2 forums :eyebrow:

8. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Lighter PS2. Remind me, who cares?

If it was a PSP weight revision, then it would be something more akin to news, but its a console that sits there on the floor for weeks at a time without being moved. A lighter PS2 just makes it easier to pull off the top of your TV rack and break on the floor.

9. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

actually the PsTwo has lots of portability stuff, battery packs and screens, so that it is possible to use them on the go (usually in cars and stuff) so it probably is of interest for a few people
    Though I'm guessing bit tech reported it because it shows Sony are still supporting the console

10. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

If I'm not mistaken, the japanese PS3 should still be a nudge cheaper than the U.S. one, since one of ken katuragi's boops that got him promoted out of his playstation job was reportedly dropping the launch price in japan by 20% more than the company agreed price without telling the higher ups, the U.S. price drop would have to be $120 to match that ? so its doubtfull the japanese version will see a cut for the moment and thus the japanese bosses wouldn't be lieing if they were talking about no cut, or thats my theory anyway.

On the subject of the EU/UK, if we add UK V.A.T. to $500 we get a little under $590, if they leave it at the current equivalent raw $800 ($680 if we peel off tax) it will rather take the mickey.

11. xion

xion Minimodder

call me an optimist, but a lighter PS2 should be good news to all those who like the sound of cheaper entry level gaming. Reduced weight, means cheaper shipping, more integrated and fewer components, reducing manufacturing costs, we can only hope this gets passed on to the end user, how many people must there be out of reach of the prohibitively expensive next gen consoles? and all for a system that's still a top seller 7 years after launch, that in itself is pretty impressive. (and I'm the one normally associating Sony with Satan!)

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I hope the end user sees the price drop

13. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Would love to see a price cut on the PS3 here but I cannot see them doing it just yet. Based on the extortionate amount we pay compared to the US, I figure we're paying for the lost revenue Sony is losing on the consoles. In Sony's mind, why cut he cost now? Prolly not till before Xmas...

14. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Apparently, news on a European price drop on Thursday:

Tags: Add Tags