1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolute best ISO burning utility?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mattthegamer463, 19 Jul 2007.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I'm becoming immensely tired of ISO ROM burns failing for whatever reason. Now I'm down to my last DL DVD and I really really don't want to waste it on a failed burn. I need the best program possible for burning ISOs, MDFs, anything and everything to DVD without failing. Speed does not matter, just that the burn does not fail and waste my disk! Nero has driven me up the wall.

Anyone have such a godlike program?

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i use the default burning utility from the right click menu in ubuntu. i've never found anything else that works as well for ISO images. infraRecorder on windows, but that's not too reliable.

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

k3b has never failed me but it is linux only

4. mattthegamer463

I really don't want to have to wait 15 min to load Ubuntu live just to burn a disk though.

Reliability is kind of what I'm going for, so I guess infraRecorder isn't for me.

Thanks for the post.

5. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

What's wrong with Nero or Alcohol 120%. I have never had problems with either of them. Are you sure it's not your burner that is on the fritz?

Last edited: 19 Jul 2007
  6. wsurritte

wsurritte What's a Dremel?

CDBurnerXP Pro has always done me good. It's free and has CD/DVD burning, ISO burning and creating, and CD-ripping.

http://cdburnerxp.se

7. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

+1

8. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

+2 or it could be crappy media. Try a slower burn speed. I bought a bad batch of cheap CDRs and have to burn them at 4x if I want to use them at all. It blows.

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

+1 :D

And the new KDE WM (that still is under development) will run on Windows, so probably programs like K3b will be able to run on Windows in the future ;) That being said, how K3b handles images is just supurb... Burning images isn't tucked away in a far menu, just click on a image, and K3b will automatically verify and burn the image.

That being said, Nero is pretty decent too (and runs on both Linux and Windows ;))

10. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Yep +3 I go with the media as the issue. I use Nero a fair bit and the times it fails is when I am using cheap media - as above I now just burn that stuff at X2 or X4 and seems to be OK.

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

If you're having problems run a simulation first. It'll help to save discs. But I've only lost one or two discs from Nero and that's over 8 years of use. K3B, as mentioned, is very good aswell.

12. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

+1 with doug, simulations and verifications are critical if you don't want to end up with buggered media.

I've had some serious issues burning on my new comp though, I installed nero on vista and nothing burns successfully. I'll be formatting for 64-bit in the next few weeks though so I'll report back on that. If that doesn't fix it, I have two buggered pioneer drives as far as writing goes.

Back to the topic in hand. Nero 6 on xp would be my choice :)

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Nero 7 works 100% on Vista, never had a problem, just a bit slow to start up

14. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

Yup, using Nero 7 Ultra Enhanced on Vista. Best burns I've ever gotten, seems much quicker too. In fact, when I use Alcohol 120% in Vista, it shows actual burn speed and average burn speed upon conclusion and it has been much faster than XP. I've had only a couple of bad burns and that was because the media was a turd (ComputerEssential DVD's given to me). I try to use Ridata media, but Fuji seems to be pretty good if you have to get some disks locally, otherwise I try to order Ridata on the net.

I had an HP DVD burner with LS go out on me in just 1 month (my last HP CD burner lasted 5 years until I pulled it due to speed, not because it broke, so I got an HP hoping the same from it) and I had a Yamaha go out in about 6 months after not much use). So far my Samsung (Tsst) has been a rock.

So check your burner and media.

15. mattthegamer463

My drive may be damaged, because my problems have just increased largely in the last few weeks.

Is there a way I can test to see if my drive is damaged?

I do try running those simulations, and they sometimes work, sometimes they fail similarly to the actual burns.

I'm going to test it out with a normal DVD to see if I can get a proper burn at a low speed. I'm using Imation 16x DVD-Rs so its not very low quality.

Thanks for the posts, I was becoming suspicious that something was wrong with my drive or program<->drive communications, so I need to test some stuff out to find the culprit.

16. mattthegamer463

After trying to run simulations using ImgBurn and Nero 7, both failed immediately with an error "Illegal disk" for Nero and "Incompatible Medium" for ImgBurn. This disk is flawless on the bottom, blank, and has worked before, so I really don't understand whats wrong with my drive.

17. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

Try and send your drive in for warranty.

18. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

19. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

20. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

That only burns images. It doesn't create music cd's or dvd's. I prefer an all-in-one utility.