1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress TribalOVERKILL's Case EVOLUTION

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tribaloverkill, 17 Jul 2007.

1. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Welcome to CASE EVOLUTION. Your probably wondering what Case Evolution is, Well,... just Like Liquid Evolution. Case Evolution is a NEW style,... a NEW look, a NEW type computer. More of an art piece than anything. Being artistic is my main priority. If it's not functional and artistic,... you won't find it in here. In here you will seen some of the craziest and coolest stuff. Everything from whole computers down to the very parts that make up these supreme machines. It's all going to be art.

Just as I do in Liquid Evolution, I will teach you, show YOU*points finger at you* how to make everything in here. I am hoping that soon I will be able to go into greater depth with this. Techniques, work-arounds, etc. This is another priority of mine. So,... here we go!

Just farting around with the paper and pencil. And Eraser. Lots of Eraser.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. tribaloverkill

So. Hi:) Wow,... we're totally inside my Case Evolution log. Wow. Yea. So I've been planning a HDD cage. I thinking about making 3 right now. All with the same design but each holding a different number of 3.5" HDDs and also having different sized fans of number of fans. These cages will be air cooled. I was thinking about making some non air cooled cages too. Some more plain and simple cages too. But thats something I will do later. For now, air cooled. Where to start!

Layouts! Right now I have 4 cooling layouts, each having at least one scenario. There is one cooling/ scenario missing,... that would be a cage that only holds one HDD with some method of air cooling. I'm not worried about that so thats why it's not here. I want you opinions here. You honest opinions. I have mine, I want to compare to yours *points finger at YOU*. List these by priority. First one being the best and last being ehhh. Might be kind of hard:) Try not to think about whats more effient for cooling. I mean you can but thats not what I looking for right now. Right now it's what can I fit within this amount of space. How many HDD's, how many fans, what size fans etc.

Jul-17-2007

First. I spent a lot of time gathering info. Measurements,... lot of them! Everything I need to know about a typical HDD, optical drive, and the 5.25" bay.
    [​IMG]

Ok,... here is Cooling #1 with it's one scenario. First let me explain what you are looking at if you haven't already figured it out. The outer most or largest box is the very same size as an optical drive. I have two lines passing through it so I know where center is and the half-way points. One of the boxes inside the optical box looks like it could be a HDD. Thats because it is the HDD. The square,... is a 120mm fan. Everything is to size. Accurate. Now,... the fan is ON TOP of the HDD. The scenario's are basically whats going to be inside of however many 5.25" bays. Understand? In each scenario I specify "Min Spacing" which means "Minimum Spacing" obviously. This refers to the space in between the HDD's. Minimum meaning whatever I specified and some more if I want but not going any smaller then the min. got it?

So,...
    Cooling #1.
    Scenario #1: 3 x Bays, 3 x HDDs with 1/8" Min Spacing, 1 x 120mm Fan.

Notes:
    Fan is mounted above HDD's.
    [​IMG]

Cooling #2.
    Scenario #1: 3 x Bays, 3 x HDDs, 1/8" Min Spacing, 4 x 60mm(25mm) Fans.
    Scenario #2: 2 x Bays, 2 x HDDs, 1/8" Min Spacing, 4 x 60mm(15mm) Fans.

Notes:
    Fans are mounted above the HDDs. 25mm thick fans is a typical thickness for a PC fan.
    [​IMG]

Cooling #3.
    Scenario #1: 3 x Bays, 4 x HDDs, 1/8" Min Spacing, 1 x 120mm Fan.
    Scenario #2: 3 x Bays, 3 x HDDs, 1/8" Min Spacing, 1 x 120mm Fan.

Notes:
    Fan is mounted to the side.
    [​IMG]

Cooling #4.
    Scenario #1: 3 x Bays, 4 x HDDs, 1/8" Min Spacing, 4 x 60mm(25mm) Fans.
    Scenario #2: 3 x Bays, 3 x HDDs, 1/8" Min Spacing, 4 x 60mm(25mm) Fans.
    Scenario #3: 2 x Bays, 2 x HDDs, 1/8" Min Spacing, 2 x 60mm(25mm) Fans.

Notes:
    Fans are side mounted.
    [​IMG]

Now,... this is what I was using to figure out how many HDD's I could get within however many 5.25" bays. This shows you the whole spacing thing. In the pic you see 3 x bays, 4 x HDD's with 1/16" spacing.
    [​IMG]

3 x Bays, 4 x HDD's with 1/8" spacing. You see the difference? I figure I could squeeze more of whatever into however many bys by carefully spacing the HDD's. Now 1/16" of an inch is pretty damn close. But I am pretty sure it's still doable. I could set up the fans to pull air through those spaces with now problem BUT having an extra 1/16" making it a total of 1/8" is sitting a lot better with me. I dont really gain all that much more but having the spacing only 1/16". I mean I gain space but I cant really doo all that much with the space I gain. So I figured I would just give it to the spacing.
    [​IMG]

Now dont forget,... there might be a cage for a single drive with like 2 maybe maybe 3, 30mm fans. I dont know how appealing that would be but I figured,... what the hell:) So what you guyz think?

3. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

the sketches of the case it self look amazing. an variation of that would look incredible in real life.

4. Teyber

Teyber ******

you know the haulocaust?

think of the exact opposite of that

5. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

HAROLD AND KUMAR!!!!!!!!!

great case bro!

6. Teyber

Teyber ******

so wheres the evolution?

7. tribaloverkill

What?

8. elbarto241

i think thats his nice way of asking for an update...

9. tribaloverkill

He's got to hold his horses,... I got a lot going on over here. It's actually even worse,... I was taking pics of the stuff I got in the mail and my one and only camera died. I mean it was already broken as in acting funny and all,... but the lense thing wont come out now. I have no way of taking pictures!

10. Teyber

Teyber ******

bummer city dude!

i have one of these laying around that im not using right now:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120071
    with a collection of lenses. Don't use it for my thread though...

I wasn't relaly asking for an update, just thought it sounded cool...

And tribal, when are you goign to make a cardboard box computer?

11. elbarto241

alright forum members! tribalOVERKILL needs a digital camera :D LETS GET TO IT

12. tribaloverkill

I might be getting a camera today! I need one right away! I'm on a 4 day weekend right now and I have to get some work done! I need to take pics! Also,... I have a 1 month vacation starting aug 1st! I need a cam! Looking to get this Sony CyberShot DSC-F717 5MP cam today if this guy calls me back. I'll pick it up for $245. This is a newer version of the camera I use to use to take pics of Blackout a long time ago. The quality of pics is amazing and Macro shots are even better. I can take high quality photos of very small stuff again. Let you know.

13. Teyber

Teyber ******

congrats on the camcam! you deserve it!

14. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Hi

I like the concept drawings. I am looking forward to how this evolves.

BenJ

15. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

you'll be happy with that camera. Great for mod picks and you can strap on better lenses