1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft patents seriously bad adware

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Jul 2007.

1. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

If they follow through with this I'll be over to linux faster than a realy fast thing.

2. FR34K

FR34K What's a Dremel?

read my mind.

seriously, though...who does M$ think they are?
    these are personal computers we're talking about here, our personal computers and not theirs, and they need to realize that we don't want half the crap they're (secretly or non-secretly) including in their software. it's bad enough they charge the price that they do.

M$: I send and angry face at you. :miffed: <-- see, SEE!!!

3. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I understand why you are frustrated at Microsoft; I certainly wouldn't want to pay for adware either. However, while it may be your personal computer, you are running their software. If you don't like the terms in the EULA, you are always free to use an alternative.

-monkey

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Seems like some people enjoy letting others know about their personal life. Its your software because you payed for it. And thank you, I really do feel free using an alternative.

5. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Breaking news: Big Brother moves to Redmond.

My next system is going to dual-boot Vista/XUbuntu.

6. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

yup, alternatives it is. i'm sick of m$ telling mainstream people how the pc should be run. Without giving us any say in it. everytime a new windows comes out it gets harder and harder to configure it the way I want to. You can compare it to old cars vs new electronic ones. if the carb broke on my old 1988 I could fix it but on my 2006 it has to go into the shop.

7. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:wallbash:
    I Hope that's right but...
    +1

If it wasn't for games I would be running only Linux.:sigh: :idea: I'm thinking it may be time to switch to only playing games that run natively in Linux. My Vista install is definitely going dual boot (again) anyway.

8. Flyingsheep

Flyingsheep What's a Dremel?

I already dual-boot XP/Ubuntu. I love using Linux but it's a pain to have to switch when I want to play a game or use a program that doesn't run natively. That is the only downside. Everything else is awesome.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Cheer up (as they say), it may never happen! And it won't.

MS Windows is still the OS of choice for most governmental and commercial institutions, which do not want to see their work-drone PCs spammed with distracting advertising (especially if it is for a competitor, and especially if it leaches their bandwidth and resources). If MS does this, all of a sudden every business in the world will discover the joy of Linux and OpenOffice. Virtually free, just as useful, and no worries about virusses...

Moreover if people get so annoyed already with spam that MS felt it a good move to incorporate adblockers in IE, and spam filters on Outlook and Hotmail, do you really think it will spam the home user PC? I can just see the sales pitch in PC World: "Er, no, Madam/Sir, you can't turn off those annoying adverts. They actually come with the OS. How much does Windows cost again, you ask?"

It is always amusing to see people react to every bit of news concerning MS with: "OMG, MS IS TAKING OVER TEH WORLD!!!!1111ONEONEONE". We had speculation about product activation that would not allow you to swap the motherboard --it didn't happen. We had speculation that you can transfer Vista to another PC (which includes un-installation from the previous PC) only once, instead of an unlimited number of times as with XP --it didn't happen.

MS knows full well that there are viable alternatives out there (such as OS X for the n00bs, and Linux for the g33ks), and that they offer the same functionality at an often much cheaper price. Redmond's worst nightmare would be if the average customer discovered this. So far most people feel comfortable with Windows, because it does the trick and it is what they have been used to for years, and change is uncomfortable... but only until staying where you are is even more uncomfortable. Then people make the switch... So don't expect a radical change in MS policy just yet.

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I agree with the general sentiment here. If Microsoft opt to include this kind of software as part of the standard load, then I'll simply choose an alternative; I'm certainly not above using a Mac. I tried using Ubuntu a while back and I had a really positive experience. The were 3 things that brought me back to Windows: Graphics tablet drivers, Photoshop, and Games. Because of my job, I need easy access to my graphics stuff.

I know that I could get these things to work through various emulation utilities, and that's a hassle I'm willing to deal with if the time comes to make the switch.

However, I'm happy to continue running XP for the time being.

-monkey

11. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

(redstripe Jamaican accent) Boo Adware Windows, Hooooraaayy Linux!

12. jweller

jweller What's a Dremel?

Outrage

This really outrages me, but I feel helpless. :wallbash: I would trash Windows right now on my home computer if I had an easy alternative, grrrr.

13. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Its good that the news of this idea gets out now I think, if theres a big enough backlash to it before they've even started seriously working on it, the odds of them continuing/using it will presumably drop sharply compared to news getting out right as they are about to implement it.

And its hard to disagree with nexxo, implementing this in the main OS would be commercial suicide, though I might have argued the time scale since he's being fairly optomistic when it comes to businesses in general and there technical competency and [Insert word thats escaping me right now that means up-to-dateness].

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

One thing we ought to admit to ourselves, from experience, is that when M$ gets an idea, they go through with it no matter what. It's true (whoever said this earlier) that we should've seen this one coming, but I really just didn't. I didn't think they'd have the GALL to do this.
    Personally, I've no reason to move past 2000/XP - they serve my needs fine, and I'm not bothered about any Vista-only titles so far. What DOES worry me is the possibility of a service pack 5 that brings this tactic to 2000/XP. That's when I go Mac.

15. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

Ill just stick to osx and xp for my work and surfing. The only time I'll use vista is on my new PC I'm building which will be strictly for gaming.

16. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'll give you another reason why the alternative is just as main stream as the main stream itself.

17. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

My god....
    If they implement this I just want to know how to not get it. I will do anything like never update my computer ever or buy any new stuff. I would even pay thousands not to something like this.

What kind of bs. They better make this in only their free **** b/c I will take my money some ware else. Ultimately what this does is make it easer for governments and other people to find out your personal information.

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It won't happen. Chill.

19. FR34K

FR34K What's a Dremel?

now, what I would like to see, is Mac make their OS compatible with all hardware, and/or game developers include linux installation.
    that'd be a big kick in the ass for M$

20. ElZog

ElZog Defeater of Satan's Transformo Sofa

Can't see yer picture, just fails to load. What is it of?

Tags: Add Tags