1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Samsung 32GB Solid State Drive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 Jul 2007.

1. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

PATA hard drives in laptops are far more commen then Sata disks

still why limit it to ata-66 them SD cards can most likey do more then that

2. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i was about to say that may new laptop still has an ata drive but i thought the 5400rpm speed would mean it wouldnt matter

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

virtually every new laptop that comes into our offices these days is SATA. I bought my ThinkPad X60s in March and that was SATA (and it's not a new Core 2 Duo-based ThinkPad; instead, it's a Core Duo). :)

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

HP started with SATA discs about 2,5 years ago. (as standard) I believe IBM was a bit earlier.

Some cheaper laptop models might still use PATA, though.

5. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Isn't it above ? ;)

i think you could do that, and put an ammeter in the way, but then how would you test the normal HDD ? - as you would then need a 2.5" IDE drive to test again

Sigh, that's hardly a scientific test at all, and its pretty damn hard to replicate the results, plus your assuming that the device they measure power usage with is very accurate, as it's probably about 1W difference

I just looked online, a 40gb 2.5 drive uses about 1.6W r/w, .5W idle, 0.2 W Standby, 0.1 Sleep
    Samsung NAND HDD - 2.1W Active, 1.5W Idle, 0.2W Standby

Well now im confused, the NAND flash disc uses more power :s
    http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/products/flash/Products_FlashSSD.html
    http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/storage/hdd/mobile/mhv2120at.html

Edit
    D'oh - i read the wrong column
    0.5W Active, 0.1W Idle, 0.06W Standby

They are saying that a 2.5" HDD uses 2.1W active though, when the one i looked at is half a Watt lower

6. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Don't you mean make sure it's PATA?

Otherwise, a good article. I'm waiting eagerly to see faster versions in desktop form-factors, because they would make an excellent main drive in that case.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, I meant look for a SATA SSD, not specifically Samsung.. You won't find a PATA SSD.

completemadness - basically on a desktop system the difference would be completely negated if using 4 sticks of memory instead of 2, or if listening to music while typing a letter.

8. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i think it just needs a lil time to muture... just out of curiosity how would you install xp to a sata notebook when they dont include a floppy drive now

9. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

You didnt need a floppy drive to install the driver for the SATA for the first Intel 875 based boards when SATA was brand new, the SATA controllers behaved like native IDE ones, like most do now.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You only need it for RAID drivers or obscure non-native SATA chipsets which I wouldn't recommend using anyway due to the performance loss and general ass-tardness of Windows when using them. You could always slipstream the drivers onto an XP CD, that way you can make it an unattended install as well! :thumb:

11. HenvY

HenvY Yeah, what IS a dremel?

So how long 'til these become a must have for gaming rigs? :D

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Not sure about gaming rigs, but I would love to have one of these (in 3.5" size) for my fileserver. These would be prefect for the drive thatholds the OS, and then the RAID array can go to sleep when not being used and so when not being accessed the server would consume almost no power, yet be able to pop back to life in the time it takes the RAID array to spin up.

13. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

My presumption was that solid-state hard drives would have a marked performance advantage over hard disk drives in development environments as a 'scratch/cache disk'. I suppose it would only hold true for low-capacity high-speed SATA variants in the near future?

14. §§...

§§... What's a Dremel?

Maybe it's coz my first language is not english, but i dont understand the bit on page 2 which says:

How can you have change left over if it's the same price:confused:

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ah LOL! I see your point. I meant if you were spending the same money :)

Amon: that was the point of testing with very low memory: to really hammer the pagefile.

16. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Nice drive, tho still room for improvement!!!

*Waits for the larger cheaper SATA-II versions :D

17. Lian Li Lover

Lian Li Lover What's a Dremel?

:( I like defragmenting

18. xion

xion Minimodder

it'd be interesting to see this go up against a PCI (i think..) Ram Drive, especially if used as a cache/swapfile/scratch disk... would love to see the stats on that, and by the looks of it, i'm guessing the price wouldn't be too far off the mark also.

It is an ideal product for robust/mobile devices, but there's a long way to go before it has a home in my box... :p

sorry couldn't find a link to the ram drive on Bit-Tech... please correct me if i'm wrong... But this thing looks interesting! http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/gigabyte-iram/index.x?pg=1

Last edited: 24 Jul 2007
  19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'm seeing Gigabyte tomorrow, want me to ask for one then?

EDIT: It's like 18 months old. I'll see if they have anything new.

20. xion

xion Minimodder

Yeah it's old tech that never quite got started, a shame considering the potential such a device has... would love to find out if they had anything in the development pipeline, i find it hard to believe any company would abandon something like this with all the market buzz about robson & such...

Tags: Add Tags