1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Warren Spector not bothered about Deus Ex 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 24 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

we're boned.:grr:

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I hope this game turns out good, but I think it may be no-where near as good as the original, just like my fears for Fallout 3.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

It cannot possibly be worse than DX:IW.

I take comfort in that. ;)

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

are you sure?

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Pretty sure. ;) I loathed DX:IW with a passion so deep that new words need to be invented to describe it.

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

DX2 was bloody awful, right down to the interface and the graphics, just plain bad.

DX on the other hand was possibly the greatest game of all time, rivaling the original Half-Life in my humble opinion. We can only hope that the makers of 3 can steer away from what was a flop and a crap game now that they know what to avoid as it were; but i doubt it'll be as good as Deus Ex was.....time to go play it again i think...

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think the news image should be changed to this

[​IMG]

The greatest tragedy of our time :(

Woops that image is massiver than I thought it was

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

how about a exact clone of DX 2 but this time with longer loading screens and less story?

10. BoomAM

BoomAM What's a Dremel?

I read a rumor the other week that DX 3 could be a remake of DX1, just with updated graphics and whatnot. Which i'd be pleased about.

DX2 isnt an amazing game, but its not as bad as people make out either. Sure, compared to DX1 it looks awful, but theres probably only about 5 games that have ever been able to compare to DX1. So it was allways gonna be hard to live up to DX1.
    If you take DX2 for what it is, and stop thinking every few mins, 'in DX1...' then you'll probably appriciate the game more.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah I didn't mind DX2 myself, didn't hold a candle to DX, but it was still quite a good game.

12. tzang

tzang Traditional Nutter

As long as they used the approach to make DX for DX3, it should be fine.

Letting Harvey Smith (Witchboy) take over the DX project to make DX:IW seemed to be the cause of the problem although I recall Warren looking after Harvey back then. Couple that with the game being developed for the console in mind, that took away a lot of potential ideas for the game (interface for console, simplicity for console, etc...). You also had the issue of how the ending of DX could transition to the start of DX:IW due to the multiple endings.

But as BoomAm mentioned, if you ignore DX and played DX:IW, the game isn't bad at all (along with the good graphics and physics... although the music was a bit disappointing, apart from the title music). The problem was, DX was a fantastic game and people had high hopes for DX2. They were let down when their expectations weren't met.

With the DX hype completely gone, DX3 should settle in more comfortably... unless the devs completely screw it up. There are no indications that any of the original team members will help to develop DX3 so things could turn out rather interesting.

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

IIRC, Harvey was given free rein on DX2, but monitored on Thief 3, which uses the same engine. Thief 3 was awesome, but DX2 was...disappointing. It wasn't THAT bad, and I quite liked the circle of mods around the screen personally, but they threw away all the RPG elements and the whole game felt too claustrophobic because of the tiny levels. Keeping the RPG elements and making the levels bigger (may have needed an engine change) would have made it much more fun.

One thing I loved about DX2 were the 'unique weapons', hidden guns that had special names and attributes. There was one unique gun of every type somewhere in the game that just needed to be found.

Still, the lamest thing about the game? Universal ammo. Give me a break, even console gamers aren't THAT stupid.

14. ThijsH

ThijsH What's a Dremel?

This is true. There is currently a few teams working on improved ghrapics, both object graphics and worldgraphics.
    <A href="http://www.moddb.com/mods/9009/deus-ex-new-vision">The "NewVision" mod</A>
    <http://www.moddb.com/mods/4470/project-hdtp">project HDTP mod</A>

Also, a mod is being made for unreal tournament 2004 which basicely gives DeusEx a better engine (The unreal tournament 2004 one), which is usefull for rendering the better graphics: <A href="http://www.moddb.com/mods/6569/deus-ex-reborn">Deus Ex Reborn</A>
    These mods are all compadible with eachother, which when combined will result in one hell of a remake

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

...so it isn't true then. Those are mods, not DX3.

DX3 is DX3, maybe a prequel, but definitely not a remake.

Tags: Add Tags