1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 2GHz Barcelona to compete with 2.33GHz Clovertown

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Right out of the HD 2900 XT playbook.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I somehow feel AMD tries too hard to tell us they don't WANT to go against the high-end Intel CPUs. What if they CAN'T?

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

BTW, thanks for Relix'ing my avatar.... whoever it was...:worried:

5. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I hope I'm not over-exceeding my expectations when I say "I hope the 45nm Phenom will be worth the wait"........

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

for the sake of god don't pull another X2900!

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Maybe AMD will nuke (you can see the WiC addiction... I do at least) nVidia and Intel with R700 and Shanghai. :eyebrow:

8. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Provided they don't go bankrupt by then...

9. adrianx26

adrianx26 What's a Dremel?

Fusion will come :) ( fusion the processor)

10. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

I'm just hoping AMD pull something back. The only people that would benifit from Intel having a monopoly would be intel, and that's not a good thing.

*crosses fingers for AMD to redeem themself*

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Quite probably they cannot right now. But that does not matter very much. AMD rightly realise that the big money is in mid and low end parts. Value for money is what sells a few hundred thousand chips to a single company, not outright performance at any cost. If AMD can get the VFM right on their mid and low end kit, and retake a larger part of those markets with that stable income it'll be left free to focus more on nailing the high end stuff.

12. Fiber4now

Fiber4now Don't feed the trolls

Very fine and dandy relying on the mid and low end but when your high end is in fact low end compared to your two main rivals Nvidia and Intel, your buyers at the OEM level start wondering where are your exciting parts? Which the OEMs can use to advertise and promote the rest of their line up. When you have absolutely nothing at the High end as AMD has not for more than year now, OEMs start asking for better price wise deals to compensate for the lack of excitement your product brings to the market. It is not really the OEMs fault that AMD lost money, it is the fact that without AMD's products to generate hype and advertising the OEMS are locked in a clinch battle in the value sector using AMD, due to the fact that the consumer that purchases at the value end only do so based upon competitive price (cheap), it is not about the hype of what's inside the case for them.

In other words AMD parts do not allow OEMs to put a price premium onto AMD systems, keeping AMD parts strictly in the value segment where margins are very tight to begin with. These tight margins are drawn exclusively from AMD's hide now that AMD can supply chipsets also. This continues erosion of AMD's Average selling price is not due to the fact that they are in a price war with Intel but is due to AMD not having a product that can demand a premium for the OEMs. This helps explains why AMD in its last stock report claimed they moved 38% more units but lost the same amount of money bottom line as they did not selling those 38% more units in the first quarter which was $600 million.

Tags: Add Tags