1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Samsung 226BW/CW 22inch vs Dell 24inch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iamwhoiam, 31 Jul 2007.

1. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam What's a Dremel?

Ok guys... Simple question.

Is the Dell 2407WFP-HC simply worthy £200 more for it's measly 2 inches (and I don't care what your wifes/girlfriend say). Please post reasons :)

I'll be using the monitor for mainly Office/Web Browsing/Xbox 360

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

22" screen = 1680x1050 res, 24" = 1920x1200 res.

The dell also has VGA, DVI+HDCP (HDMI), Component, Svideo, composite, 1:1 pixel scaling, PIP, PBP and much more :D

3. tzang

tzang Traditional Nutter

For your use, 22" should be enough but if you crave for more desktop space, 24" is the best choice and also worth the money... plus the advantages that Dell offers in terms of connectivity is worthwhile too, as listed in post above ;)
    You could also consider the Samsung 245B 24", which hasn't got as much connectivity as the Dell but is priced far less too.

4. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Or the Samsung SM215TW - Slightly smaller at 21" but far superior connectivity and image quality. I would like a 24", but that will have to wait until I actually have a job!

I'm sounding like a broken record on this one, I don't even own it - yet!

5. Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner What's a Dremel?

I've got a 2407wfp Rev. A04 and it's great. However if you are buying it for the component and composite connections, DON'T! They are not very good. I tried to play my wii through component and it looked terrible and it was impossible to get a 16:9 ratio (it was stretched to 16:10). This may be because the wii doesn't have very good output settings though. Also you need to use a vga cable for the 360, but it looks amazing when you do. However they may have fixed these problems with the HC, it's worth checking out.

6. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Having used one for a few weeks this summer, I would not hesitate to buy one, they are simply awesome monitors. They look amazing for desktop work and gaming alike.

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Easy solution, menu -> Image settings -> Pixel Ratio -> 1:1

8. Demon Cleaner

That works great if you don't mind playing on a 6" display with a 24" screen. :sigh:
    The problem is that the dell can't upscale sources properly.

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Which is understandable as it requires lots of processing power doesn't it?

10. Demon Cleaner

Well I don't entirely understand how monitors work. But if it can a take a 480p source and make it full screen (16:10), why can't it take the same source and make it 16:9?

480p and 720p 16:9 are standard sources. Nothing comes in 16:10 except operating systems. I realise computer monitors aren't really supposed to be able to do everything, so I can understand if the source was from a dvd that has an odd widescreen ratio then it may have a problem. But if they provide analogue inputs then they should make a better effort at scaling 16:9 sources.

My monitor has these display options;fill, aspect, and 1:1. You would think that if I chose aspect then it would do reasonably job at getting it right (it even tells me the source is 480p). But instead it puts 1 inch black borders to the left and right instead of the top and bottom thus squashing the image horizontally. "Fill" on the otherhand, stretches the image vertically to 16:10. I think at worst there should be an option to manually adjust the position of borders on all monitors.

11. Demon Cleaner

Double post. My bad. I clicked on quote instead of edit

12. mk-donald

mk-donald bits and bobs

Personally I like my LG L226WTQ that was less than £200 delivered. 22" with HDCP, though no height adjustment.

Tags: