1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK ISPs under fire for false advertising

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Aug 2007.

1. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

From the speed meter in his post it looks like UKerna whoever they are.

2. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i happy with NTL my self (now virgin) i know about the maybe little lame limits thay inpose

between 16:00 to 00:00
    2mb/4mb/20mb service
    if you download- 350mb/750mb/3gb
    it goes down to 1mb/2mb/5mb for 4 hrs from when its trigered (including if as started at 23:59 it last 4 hrs)

on 2mb service it be very annoying, 4mb not so much but you have to consider how much you can still download on 20mb 130gb at least an day you do 2gb/5gb/40gb on some/most ISP you get charged per gb or get the internet speed droped to modem speeds or lose your internet connection

ADSL is hit and miss and if i moved house i ask locals to see what internet speeds i got if i did need high speed bb not you 2mb stuff or make sure you got cable around thay can guaranty 2/4 or 20mb bb due to cables that come strate to your house

3. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

United Kingdom Education and Research Networking Association

AKA a university connection :)

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

After lots of adverse comments on the "real" speeds from "up to 8Mb" packages, I decided to stick with the cheaper 2Mb. Just checked, UK server 1893Kbps, New York 1746, California 1821. No grumbles. And that's Pipex. :clap:

5. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

just got back to uni and checked my connection there

90530 kbps down, 60710 kbps up

6. alex87

alex87 What's a Dremel?

I've been with a few ISP's, all at different locations and i've always been satisfied with speed. My parents have an up to 8mb/s connection with BT, and you can generally get 700kb/s through (although at peak times this is cut down to about 200kb/s if you're lucky). Last year, in my university house we had Pipex Max, and could pull down between 800-850kb/s (not at peak times though).
    I've just moved into my new place, and have signed up with bethere, which is up to 24mb/s. My router is synced at 17,269kbps, and I can get 1,950kb/s easily at any time of the day.

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Check your units, I average 1,850kb/s on my 2Mb/s connection... :p

8. jjsyht

jjsyht Hello, my name is yuri

Broadband with up to 10Gbps*

*10Gbps is however never acheivable because of the laws of Human intelligence... which is, Humans are incabable of delivering services which they dont know how to produce.

Next step is legally advertise 10Gbps by acquiring 10Gbps equipments, but still giving crap speed by keeping shitty cables :worried::sigh:

9. kitt

kitt Michael Knight

JANET i assume?

10. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Maybe... :worried:

11. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

i don't think that's quite fair

its like saying, at your new house the ocean will be 3m deep - well wont that fluctuate, wont it depend which house along the beach you are in
    I can see why they say "up to 8mb/s" but i think there should also be a "call for a firm estimate of your speed" tacked on the end

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The thing is, this is only a problem with BT lines. Cable does not experience this at all.

13. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

I get an average of 600kBps and I have had over 800 at times. I'm with UKFSN (an Entanet reseller) and I pay £20 for 30GB peak time limit and 300GB of off peak limits. Have a look at this forum for some user experiences (am I allowed to do this? If not, I'll delete the link). I live about a mile or so from the exchange (Northwich) so I wouldn't expect this sort of speed.

Andy

14. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

This is one of the reasons why i'll put up with the crap from VM/NTL you get more of what you pay for.

Tags: Add Tags