1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel takes £31 bn in monopoly profits since 1996

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Aug 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Infenro

Infenro What's a Dremel?

i would say this is true of nvidia at the moment........

but intel have since improved as of 22nd july :p

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i agree

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Afcourse Intel is mono. They can do anything they like and AMD still looses. Intel can raise and drop their prices and amd will never catch up. Intel is the bully in the pool. And everytime AMD comes up to breath some air, the bully pushes the little kid underwater again, but strugling to keep above water.

Intel could litterary push AMD to the bottom of the pool if they really want too. And they will if the liveguard on the side is not watching...

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I don't get what the big deal is.. So Intel was smarter and did a better job then AMD, now AMD is whining that they're going down and are trying to kick Intel in the balls in the hopes that they'll win money from Intel and stay afloat? Lol.

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

The big deal is, if AMD is going down. Intel could ask any price they want for a processor. And you cant say "i buy something else" because you cant buy anything else because there are no others to buy from.

7. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Keep in mind though that generally the better product will win the hearts of consumers unless the lesser product has a better bang-for-your-buck ratio. AMD held a coupe and had topped 20 percent of the marketshare after the release of the A64 a few years back. Intel came back though with their C2D line and that left AMD just sitting there with its thumbs up its butt. If companies would put half of much effort into their R&D as they put into whining and these lawsuits, then current technology would probably be far superior then what it is today.

8. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Intel may be a "big bully" -- but I don't think they've done anything illegal or that they need to be punished for.

If Intel is a bigger company with more resources, that gives them a capability to hold extra weight in the market and control the situation a bit more. Taking advantage of that is good business practice. Instead of striking deals to sell more processors, should Intel have been sending checks to AMD, you know, to help the little guy? Noooo....this is business, not pre-school sharing time.

Yes, it is true that the marketplace is better when there are several competitors...but if one competitor finds themselves in the lead, it's not their job to help everybody else catch up.

"Monopoly" is being thrown around in all this like an evil buzz word in an attempt to blame Intel for any apparent failures at AMD. We don't here IBM complaining about Apple switching to Intel chips -- one way or another, Apple saw Intel's product as a better choice. Interestingly enough, Apple didn't choose AMD's products either...and I don't think Apple would have been affected by the fact that Intel made an exclusivity deal with Dell, now would they?

9. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

What everyone else is saying...

Intel simply have a better product at present. Im not sure of their business dealings from 1996, but they certainly havnt done anything wrong in the recent past as far as I am aware. Its not as if they are using their market dominance to segregate the market so that they are the only choice available to consumers.

10. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Umm if you might remember Intel has apparently used it's market power to threaten companies who are considering using AMD processors. They've threaten to take away discounts if OEMs don't exlusively use their processors.

11. Particle Man

Particle Man What's a Dremel?

I've always prefered AMD over Intel. Far as I'm concerned Intel is just as bad as some of the old monopoly's from the early 90's.

I don't care how far ahead Intel gets, I'm sticking with AMD.

12. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

Wasnt aware of this. Got any links?

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Not really a "threat", a discount is a carrot. But a very big carrot;

14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Has Intel been found guilty of running a monopoly?

15. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

There seems to be a problem with the definitions of 'monopoly'; to my simple mind 'monopoly' and 'competitors' don't go together.
    Monopoly money is different again.

16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Who determines what a fair market price is? People always complained about the retail stuff being expensive, but the PCs that were built around them were a fair price.

17. victorres2

victorres2 DONT LOOK FOR THE EASY WAY OUT

AMD IS JUST WHINNING!!!!!!!!!!!

okay i understand the part in monopoly where the company set the prices higher and higher, but then on july 22 intel proved amd wrong and been doing that for a while. now why is it that we have "fair competition laws" when is up to the other company to do better. i dont hear apple complaining that microsoft has a 90% market share on personal computers, instead they make better products like ipods, iphone, and itunes wich they have an 80-85% market share, thats how you do business in my opinion because microsoft is never gonna get to that point with the zune. AMD is only whinning because they hit a wall on their reverse engineering.
    :wallbash:

18. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Generally though, monopoly money is made by a company that has a monopoly in one industry.

Quite frankly though, I find this study very biased as the firm that did the study was basically paid by AMD to do the study. Should an independent firm with no ties to either business or the industry find the same results, I'd believe it and not take it with a massive grain of salt like I do with this one.

Tags: Add Tags