1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hellgate: London set for Halloween release

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Aug 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

This games looks crazy! Can't wait!

3. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

I think it was you Tim , who got an advanced look at this game a while back. If I remember correctly you were somewhat underwhelmed by it. Have you seen anything lately to change that view?

4. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to it :) assuming they didn't mess up.

After all with a project statement of "Diablo, crossed with halflife, set in london" and some talanted folks like half the diablo team behind it, who wouldn't though ?

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

When I got an early look, the game was a very early build (last November) and yes, I was a little underwhelmed at the time... I've seen a few more of the gameplay trailers since then and it is showing some promise. I think it's one of those games that could be really good, or could be really bad.

Yeah, when I saw it I saw a lot of likenesses to Half-Life, but without a story to follow, it looked a bit bland back then (obviously, I didn't see much of a story... so it's hard to really draw any kind of solid opinion if it's a very story-driven game). However, if it combines a story as strong as Half-Life's with the hack and slash Diablo style, I think it could be pretty good. :)

6. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

"Hellgate: London claims to deliver infinite replayability as the levels, items, enemies and events are all dynamically generated as the player takes their heroic character through a very story-driven campaign."

Wow that is going to be a huge turning point in the way I perceive FPS/RPG gameplay because in every FPS/RPG game that I have played it's pretty much a linear experience with some, of course, different action scenarios, but I want to play a game where I don't always expect something to happen and I hope this game can live up to that expectation....

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Hellgate:London + Crysis + Bioshock + new unreal title(whatever name will be) + StarCraft 2 = so many potential uber titles to choose from in the next few months... forget it... i'll just get them all... *runs off and starts saving money*

8. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

:hehe: Hope that fence is comfy. I gueess we'll have to wait for the full review before the truth is revelaed so to speaketh.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

There are tons of game which have 'infinite replayability' thanks to dynamic generation. Loads of old ones, like Nethack or Survivor on the low-end. More recent? Oblivion, completely randomised loot and enemy placement dynamically based on how the player was progressing.

The result? It means that things in the game are either not as random as they appear and instances are scripted and programmed in, or the game is very very bland. It was one of the first and most complained about things in Oblivion and one of the first things fixed in the mods.

Now, Hellgate may be different. But I have mixed opinions and am wary about that aspect - especially with the tiered, subscription nature of the multiplayers aspects, which I discussed previously in a different thread.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2007
  10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

And it was decided that it was a poop idea.

11. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

I've had this on pre-order for over a year. Looking forward to it. Liked the 4 part story told in the comics hopefully the game can carry that same atmosphere. Worth the money for the pre rendered CGI cut scenes. I'd watch a feature movie of that alone.
    Roll on Halloween

12. Misiowiec

Misiowiec What's a Dremel?

Never been a RPG person (except for Warcraft II, still play that on occasion) but it does look great. Hopefully it will only add to and further entrench the PC gaming community.

Looking forward to Crysis, QW and other FPS myself.

Tags: Add Tags