1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Vista updates improve compatibility, performance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 Aug 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Why on gods earth do they not appear on the Windows Update program in windows? Its a bit daft if you ask me.

Sam

3. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Meh, I ended my affair with Vista yesterday...I'll install it on my laptop but for the rig, it's back on XP.

Sam, while I think about it, we got another Vista code on MSDNAA, just go to purchase the x64 edition :)

4. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I dont have any complaints with vista so far, as all the problems i'm experiencing are the fault of my sick mobo. Although i have noticed that the file transfer was kinda slow.

5. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

It has definately improved my file transfers, it always sat on 'Calculating...' for ages.

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I gave up on Vista long time ago... We get our Vista from MSDNAA so I thought "Why not give it a try?" But then again I wanted XP so dual-booting. The boot manager became a problem once I got rid of Vista as many might have experienced.
    So is Vista actually as fast, stable and reliable as XP? Should I as a close-to-hardcore gamer change? And no dual-booting. :)

7. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

MSDNAA Cheesecake lol, what is idle memory usage like now then, i used to idle at about 800mb used reformatted thou... ok who decided f-t-w to become cheesecake

8. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Tbh could do with a patch that brings more life into audio, in particular surround sound in games and other music applications that use multiple audio channels, like Traktor DJ.

9. Laitainion

Laitainion What's a Dremel?

Yeah, the audio thing is the only reason I'm not using Vista right now. While I *do* like the new way you can change the volume of individual applications, and generally the sound is better there are still occaisionally crackles. I don't know if that's Vista (I was using a 'trial' version of 64bit Ultimate) or the drivers for my X-Fi. If it was Vista, I would have thought it would have improved by now. As audio was the biggest complaint I had during the beta testing phase, a lot of games I played the sound would start to crackle, and get worse the longer I played.

That and Civ4 Beyond the Sword tripping UAC (unlike Civ4 Vanilland & Warlords).

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I have 4gb of RAM and im using Business x64, my memory usage is at 37% or 1500MB out of 4093MB. I have to say, it is stable and very fast for myself, and yes, i like it alot, and i wont be going back to XP.
    @Brooxy, i know, ive got both keys, 64bit is on the Tower while the other key is on the beasty lappy which again is stable and very nippy even with 1gb of ram.

Sam

11. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

I think myself lucky to have stereo audio wihout crackle then :/

Allthough my freind had the same stereo audio issue on his X-Fi we did not notice any crackling, due to OS and drivers now being RTM and not beta?

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

GAH! THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM!

RAM is there to be used, not sit unused!

13. quack

quack Minimodder

Because they haven't been released to Windows Update yet. Wait until the next Patch Tuesday - August 14th.

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

XP idles @ <200 so what the hell you need to run in the background to reach 1.5GB? :confused:

One question though: Which version should I go for? Business 32? 64? Or Ultimate 32? 64?

15. DougEdey

Vista USES your RAM! It's what it's there for. It stores data in the RAM after it's been used so that if you want it again your data is there and available quickly!

Linux has done it for decades, my linux indicates the 80% of my RAM is in use at any point in time.

16. mashles

mashles What's a Dremel?

well ive been using vista at home since january, and vista at work since may. Love it. Simple as that. Although i do turn UAC, superfetch, indexing, defender and automatic defragging off. :D

17. RTT

RTT #parp

You'd think it would be obvious really wouldn't you? :D

18. DougEdey

It gets on my tits, people have been lulled into the "Use less RAM" because Microsoft had crap memory management!

19. Misiowiec

Misiowiec What's a Dremel?

Please people, this must have been said about a thousand times accross the community. A large chunk of Vista's memory usage is due to precaching technologies which store data for future use...

20. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I myself turn defender and defrag off but I recommend you turn the rest back on. With indexing you're disabling one of the best features of Vista. Superfetch increases responsiveness and UAC, my God don't turn it off, I can't stress how much of a bad idea it is to run every process with admin priviledges. You can disable the prompt if you so desire but turn UAC back on.

EDIT: For those like me who installed the leaked beta patches a few weeks ago, they're exactly the same as this version.

Tags: Add Tags