1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New iMac disassembled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 Aug 2007.

1. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Bit-Tech is a civilised place to discuss PC modding and hardware, why did you bother joining up if you have little interest in 'hacking together some horrendous looking/sounding "Franken-PeeCee"'?
    We were all having a discussion of the merits and pitfalls of the iMac quite peacefully indeed before you showed up. You're a prime example of why many people won't buy a Mac, one slight bit of critisism and you attack in force.

2. whitehotmac

whitehotmac Banned

Oh the irony again... :D. If that was "peace", then feel free to borrow my rocket launcher (for peaceful purposes, of course). Ok dokes - la de dee. :D

<sarcasm>I loved the way I was said to be "offensive". Wow.</sarcasm>

Definition of Tech Support: Sadomasochism for the not-so-brave.

Wanna know how they fit all that Apple goodness, inside the space HALF the depth of your average 5 year old TFT?. Common sense, and excellent design techniques, based upon generations of building Macs and iPods. Quite simple really. There is only ONE reason this astounds people, and it goes without saying really...

...so I will refrain from the satisfaction of saying it. If you look at the "average" PC, and all the completely wasted space inside the ATX case, which could be removed, then there is half the clue of how it is achieved. The majority of space inside a PC is a waste. The cooling techniques are outdated, and the components are oversized. Simple.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2007
  3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No, they did not.

The flaming ends here. Next one gets a week's suspension. This conversation is over.

4. whitehotmac

whitehotmac Banned

Cool!. :p

5. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Annoying that this thread has dropped to the point of YET ANOTHER flame-war of Mac vs. PC. They both suck in their own ways - they're computers.

On the cooling front, I hope that Apple learnt from the early batch of MBP's and Macbooks about how to cool the new intel chips. My iMac is pretty good with its temps, the fans seem to be on silent 90% of the time. One thing a lot of people seemed to notice is that you should never get a first-gen mac if you can help it! lol :D

Saying that, my Macbook was a first gen and it's been fine.

6. Nexxo

Actually, it has more to do with the design freedom that comes from building most of your own components, so that you are not stuck to standard form factor specifications, and having a target consumer group willing to pay a bit more for a very specific product of higher quality. There is another market where you can see this...
    ... so it doesn't astound people; at least not the ones who have ever seen a laptop. ;)
    No argument there. The strength of a PC (it's modular kit-form that allows almost infinite configurability) is also its weakness: every component, and the case that houses them has to adhere to standard form factors for all those different pieces to always fit together. Then there are legacy issues; new stuff has to fit in older machines, otherwise what is the point of upgradability? That severely constrains design options.

Laptops have sacrificed such issues for compact and efficient design, and so have Apple Macs. But both can do that because they are aimed at a different user, who values certain ergonomics and all-in-one efficient design over configuration flexibility and upgradability.

Horses for courses, dude. Horses for courses.

7. whitehotmac

whitehotmac Banned

There are various flaws in your justfication. Form factors don't simple "evolve", they are decided upon, such as ATX, ISA (wow that IS old!) and PCI-E. Some commitee someplace, design and refine these form factors.

* How did PCI-E replace (almost) AGP - not by chance, CHANGE was needed, so implemented.
    * How did SATA and it's derivatives come about?. IDE and SCSI was getting too slow and old, and new transfer technology was designed.
    * How do processor sockets arrive at their final design?. Necessity, and from this need, standards are formed by Intel and AMD etc.

The market leaders and innovators have choice, but they choose to stick, mainly, to the ancient standard MINI/MIDI/MAXI/SERVER ATX tower form factors. Just because these exist, doesn't mean that MUCH smaller and more efficient, yet EQUALLY as upgradable alternatives cannot be designed. It is just a fear of change, and, in a way, a laziness that says "if it is good enough, why improve it - we are selling millions, so why re-design them".

You can put whatever fancy decals or paintjobs you wish on a PC, but at the end of the day, all this is just lipstick on a pig. I am not insulting people's individual designs - hey, what exactly can the user do about the fact that the form factor is a space hog, and a wasteful one at that. There is only SO much you can do to ATX cases, but the silhouette still looks the same. Shuttle type cases were a start, but not really a revolution in design; all they do, is take the existing MOBO and coolers, and cram them tighter into a smaller space.

Why don't the people that control ATX form factors, invent a new and slimmer, more efficient profile. You tell ME!. This is why the greater percentage of PCs look basically alike; boring oversized tin boxes, desperately trying to differentiate themselves from one another, by depending on paint and neons alone, coupled with windowed side panels, which say:

"Look dude... look how much WASTED SPACE I have inside my glowing PC. I have so much air in there, that I decided to fill the void with flashing dooberies and glowing stuff"

This is the fault of the standard setters, not really the fault of the home modder or user. The ATX and variations are generally butt ugly, oversized behemoths, which are crying out for a long overdue rethink. This is overdue by many years. If just ONE major manufacturer comes up with an idea, and sets the standard, then WHO KNOWS what beautiful ideas could follow on from this?! :D

Slot loading DVD drives are only more expensive because less of them are made. If a new form factor dictates the MAJORITY of PCs use this drive, then the price will PLUMMET!!. Same goes for heatpipe assembleys and SODIMM ram. Bulk quantities by the billion, dictate massive price drops accordingly. The top-level boffs are lazy, and can't think - pardon the pun - "out of the box", so to speak.

Another idea is that different companies EACH make their own design of case, based upon a slimmer quieter base specification, but they ALL have a list of component and expansion card measurements and specs, which MUST fit inside ther creations, no matter which generic company made the card etc.
    It could be a contest - whichever design proves most popular, will sell the most and hence will be the new, slimmer and more aesthetically appealling standard PC. Modular design is key, as always, but who SAYS that PC must be ugly forever?.

I rest my case - it CAN and could be done, but the complacency of corporate giants means, that for the meantime, Apple's designs are many eons ahead of the pack, sorry to say.

[FINAL NOTE]

This is not a criticism of ANY ONE of you, or a collective generalisation of PC users or owners. There is so much potential for PC design, but it is simply stuck in the dark ages, and seems unwilling to change too much. HP and SONY may have their own, PROPRIETORY (and often disfigured) take on the form factor, but at least their designs are TRYING to change the way we envisage computers to look, and not just sitting back and letting history dictate the future.

Innovation is the key - that is why you hear "OOOH" and "WOWWW" when they see a new Apple Mac. Not because we want appear superior (I speak SOLELY for myself - I am a decent chap) but because the designs are beautiful and different. You'd not drool over an ugly girlfriend, so why would you pretend that ATX is anything BUT dated and stale.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post/rant/call it whatever makes you happy.

I am proud to be a Mac user, and it is time PC users were allowed to experience TRUE "Wow factor", not just a new paintjob on an old clunky space-heater.

Finally - to refer to your point that Macs use custom components; only the chassis and the shell. The Processor/ram/HDD/DVD-RW/TFT/GFX/chipsets etc are ALL, off the shelf parts!. Custom keyboard and mouse, PSU, logic board and other PCBS are probably the ONLY unique parts. If Apple made EVERYTHING inside proprietory, then a Mac would cost about 10 times the price that they cost now, and they are very competitive indeed.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2007
  8. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Yes there is a lot of wasted space in a PC case, but that is because you can go and get almost any hardware and change it around in your PC
    Can you do that in a laptop ? can you do that in this iMac, or any other integrated things - no you cant

But such is the price you pay, if you want a little dinky 1 box solution on your desk, fine, but be willing to pay for it

If you want a really compact PC, go get a cube or whatever (those shuttle things) - if you want something you can mess around with, and change everything with - get a Midi, or even a full tower case
    There are plenty of choices, but "compact" and "integrated" come at a price

These are all choices for everyone, there is a solution for every need out there

Whats the saying - "necessity is the mother of invention"

9. whitehotmac

whitehotmac Banned

My post covered all of this, so maybe read it again?. Think about *WHY* they come at a price; I covered that completely!. Horses for courses indeed, but re-design is needed. You are thinking as I would expect you to think, which I blame on the trend setters in PC land.

One of my points, is that compact AND affordable, could easily be uttered in the same sentence one day, coupled with "variety" and "choice". We shall see. If relatively gigantic expansion cards, can have functionally IDENTICAL laptop equivalents, then what is stopping the "standard" form factor from being abandoned, and the miniature versions becoming the new "standard size"?!. Makes NO SENSE AT ALL. This would shrink PCs in half, overnight!.

Think of all the variety and choice in the world, and think of the billions of stars and galaxies that we have yet to explore, and all the many possibilities of new technologies we may learn of. With all the technology and the widely varying and constantly changing innovations we see around us everyday, and the complex things we do everyday, without thinking, it is plainly a MAJOR handicap, that such a logical and much needed revolution in design, has yet to be started, PROPERLY.

If something as relatively mundane as revamping a PC form factor cannot be achieved, bearing in mind that this *IS* a relative no-brainer, when compared against really complex technology, and is no more than compressing and shrinking the standard parts, then this is really quite pathetic. Does noone else see where I am coming from, or am I the ONLY one to realise that such a basic task is plainly being avoided, through sheer laziness and lack of forward thinking.

Shame on us - if advanced races from other worlds exist, and ever visited us, we could yet experience what is feels like to feel technologically backward, and utterly embarrassed by our lack of imagination and primitive thinking patterns.

Thanks for your courteous reply. :)

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Ooh I would hope so. My first gen MBP is still insanely hot. I still love the thing, but NOT for the hardware. Back when I had OSx86 on a school ThinkPad, I greatly preferred its hardware - it ran much cooler and was more comfortable to use. It didn't look as nice, but it was a lot more practical (aside from the whole kludge factor that meant no wireless or audio) to carry around since I didn't roast myself. My brief experience with a normal Macbook was a lot more positive... I'm increasingly tempted to sell this MBP and put the money towards a Macbook and the difference towards a Mac Pro. The iMac (I do like the look of the new one, and the hardware upgrades are always a plus; I'll reserve judgment on the keyboard until I've used one) isn't a machine for me, but I'd probably suggest one for people looking for a low-maintenance desktop that has some useful tools and a good amount of power.

11. Nexxo

No, you forget about backward compatibility now. The point of upgradability is that you can fit new hardware in your old machine. That means new hardware has to adhere to old form factors. You can radically redesign a form factor but adoption will be slow (such as with BTX, introduced as far back as 2003) because now all of a sudden you'll need to buy a new case to go with the new mobo, for instance. Same with CPU sockets: you don't want to have to upgrade your mobo every time you pop in a new CPU, and then find that you need a new case to accomodate your new mobo...

Take a PC manufacturer in much the same position as Apple: Dell. Being a very large manufacturer, it can actually commission its own motherboards and other components, allowing it to make small, space efficient and quiet PCs (although it aims at the cost-conscious business market, so the build quality is not going to be quite as good as that of an Apple Mac to keep prices down --although the gap is closing slowly). The flipside of this design flexibility is that everyone always moans about how hard it is to upgrade Dells, because Dell tends to do things just that bit differently...

When Apple designs in some component upgradability, like in the G3/4/5 tower series, you notice that it ends up with what looks suspicially like a regular (sic) ATX midi-tower --just a really nicely built, aesthetically pleasing one, because it aims at a market that is prepared to pay a premium for that quality. But internally, the G5 basically looks just like a Dell but with a nicer finish.

I think you are anthropomorphising all this a bit too much. It is not about "fear of change", or complacency --it is about aiming new products at the widest target audience, which includes people with old legacy boxes looking for an upgrade as much as those building a system completely from scratch.
    I just did.
    No, when 3" CD-ROMs disappear from the market, slot-loading DVD drives will become more popular. That dictates which type of drive is used more.
    They can't afford to. That box was there first. Backward compatibility, remember?
    HP and Sony walk a tightrope between producing something innovative while retaining some compatibility with generic hardware and keeping manufacturing costs down. Few people are going to buy a £1000,-- Sony if they cannot upgrade the graphic card or CPU at some point.
    --in short, pretty much the design-dictating components, such as motherboard, PSU, heatsink and cooling arrays, which are all custom made to fit one particular case and one only. Try to interface a slot-loading iMac drive to a PC and you'll find that the pin array is upside down... Look at the mobo in the new iMac: it is not even remotely square-- it is designed to fit in the space left over by the cooling fans, speakers and drives (the shape/dimensions of which are dictated much more rigidly by their function). This is an elegant (but also obvious) solution, but don't pretend that you can simply drop in a different mobo or upgrade the graphics to suit your needs.

It's all compromise: what you are prepared to sacrifice for certain functionality. If you want a compact and elegant all-in-one box, iMacs are the way to go, but you're stuck with what you bought. If you want maximum configurability and upgradability, PCs are the way to go but you're stuck with design constraints.

They don't. Ever seen a laptop with an SLI nVidea 8800GTX? Ever seen a 2.5" HDD performing to the same level as a desktop 3.5" HDD? Ever tried to overclock a laptop? There are some limits to that nice, compact cooling arrangement.

There are some ports of laptop standards coming across to the PC, such as the MXM type II socket for GPUs, but:
    1. all the manufacturers have to agree on the same standard;
    2. It cannot be significantly more expensive;
    3. it has to be BACKWARDLY COMPATIBLE!

Apple has none of these worries. It does not have to agree with other manufacturers, it has a target market willing to pay more for a specific product, and it doesn't do backward compatibility.

Redesigning a PC form factor is easy. Doing it so that it is compatible with older PC hardware is a lot harder. Getting every PC manufacturer, from Dell to every obscure Taiwanese company to agree is tricky as well. Doing it without increasing PC prices (at least in the short term) is kind of difficult too.

Let's take a really small standard revamp you mentioned earlier: AGP. I suspect you are younger than me and weren't really into computers when AGP came along (I could be wrong). The concept was simple: some new circuits, a new slot not that different from an ISA slot. No radical redesign of existing cases or components. Should have been easy to implement, no?

Except that it wasn't. On many motherboards, the AGP slot did not quite line up with the back of the case (on many very recent AGP mobos, it still does not. Go check it out), causing GPU cards to pop out every time you moved the case. Turns out that getting everybody to adhere exactly to even a quite simple dimensional standard was not that easy after all... Now if this happened to Apple (and I'm sure it has in one way or other), it is an in-house problem that can be solved in one afternoon by just a few memos between engineers. In PC world, with hundreds of different manufacturers making different bits and bobs, it took years.

12. TheVoice

TheVoice What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't actually want a PC in the same form factor as the iMac. That's not to say that the new iMacs don't look nice - they do, and far better than the plastic ones before it - but to me, the hardware just seems too basic and simplistic. You can't upgrade anything but the RAM on an iMac, meaning you're limited to what (expensive) upgrade options Apple decides to give you. Case in point - the new iMac has a poor graphics chipset, no-doubt limited by power consumption, size and heat. It's not just a case of "they can make those more-powerful options smaller if everyone bought them like that", because the initial cost of those first small units is going to be huge. And you still have the problem of upgrading at a later date.

Apple themselves seem to prove that you can't have a powerful, upgradeable machine in a form factor like the iMac. The Mac Pro is nearly functionally identical to any PC, allowing for the addition of as much new RAM as you need, new graphics cards, RAID cards, and hard-drives.

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Nintendo made a slot loader that takes 8cm discs, why can't Pioneer? Sorry, it's a pet gripe of mine :)

14. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

They do iirc, I used to own a Pioneer drive that had little arms to accept the 8cm discs.

15. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

There's something you're missing here. Alternative form factors do exist, Nexxo mentioned BTX. The reason they're not used is because no-one needs them.
    When the PCI-E spec was published the graphics industry and motherboard industry moved over quite quickly indeed, same with SATA as you've mentioned. This was because there was a need to do this, the old specs were outdated and something newer was needed to push forward change.
    This is not the case with ATX (I'm sure there's a pun in there somewhere).
    Many of us are quite content with our cases, I know i brought a large one just so I can fit stuff in it, and I'm sure many others do the same. The smaller your form factor goes the bigger the limit on power and extensionally.

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Aug 2007
  16. whitehotmac

whitehotmac Banned

This is a very short sighted way of looking at the bigger picture, and probably the very reason that the current "tin box PC" situation exists. People have to tear themselves away from their old devices SOMETIME, and upgrade to the new generation of card and peripheral connection technology. So if your point is valid, then why have a vast portion of PC mfrs, REMOVED 9 pin serial ports, but not overnight; they PHASED them out gradually.

It is like this: completely re-design the way PCs fit together, and make ANY previous *internal* slot-together standards, obsolete. The external connections such as FireWire/USB etc etc, are left in place, but the internals are new. I see evidence from all your replies, that people don't like change and fight against what they don't know, because it scares them, but the world is NEVER going to move forward this way - NEVER.

The motherboard is a good starting point; overhaul the motherboard design dramatically, to save space, but allow present and last generation cards to fit into it. Once it has been around for a year or so, stop manufacturing of the PCI/AGP/whatever format cards, and bring out new, more compact designs, and at the same time revise the MOBO to reflect this, and replace older PCI slots with newer, mini slots as used in laptops etc. This is called evolution, and is the reason why we aren't all still travelling by horse and cart. People will fight it, but not EVERYONE; the people who can see the way the future should be, will be the ones who shall bring this change about, and to be honest there is not a lot that can be done about it.

Once the new generation has replaced the old generation, there will be no further obsolescence required, as most people will have migrated over, and have the new "standard form factor".

You see, if someone SOMEWHERE designed the older clunky standards, then it is equally as logical for some other group, to show the way forward. Don't be blind people - this *WILL* happen, sooner or later, no question about that.

I am not so naive as to think that it is a matter of pleasing people, judging by their reactions. It is a matter of it NEEDING to be done, and it will go ahead, regardless of short term complaints and reactions. Tear yourselves away from the archane and outdated - THIS is the reason that so many Mac users laugh at PCs - clunky and outdated design. *DON'T* confuse this comment, with the argument that inevitably ensues; "But you can't upgrade Macs blah blah..." yes, we know, THAT was not the point; the point being made here is elegance, beginning with the migration away from the ugly tin box phenomenon; THIS was the parallel I was trying to make clear - ELEGANCE OF DESIGN, not the fact that it is a Mac, particularly!. I am trying to help you to see the future here. Please excuse my own ignorance also; I am only human, too.

Respect to you all.

Thankyou.

17. Nexxo

Add to that the fact that standards like PCI-E and SATA make relatively little impact on overall form factors. Basically, all you do is change the shape of some slots and plugs. With SATA, you can even have cross-over HDDs with both a SATA and conventional IDE connectors.

BTX now, is a whole different layout. It requires a whole different case and heatsink, not to mention that conventional double-height graphic card heatsinks can now of a sudden find themselves on the wrong side... Not a problem for the likes of Dell who sell PCs as a complete unit, and you will indeed find BTX motherboards in plenty of their units. But BTX sacrifices a chunk of backward compatibility for little substantial gain in performance or design.

They phased them out because that is the only way you can change things in the vast, fragmented world of PC.

No, people just don't like throwing what can ammount to a £1000,-- machine on the scrapheap after just two years because all of a sudden there are no upgrade paths. To think that this is about being "scared" is a rather condescending and uninsightful way of looking a it.
    :hehe: You really have to start telling apart prophetic vision from technical reality. "overhaul the motherboard design dramatically, to save space, but allow present and last generation cards to fit into it". Oh yeah, easy-peasy. Why didn't anyone think of that before? :duh:

No. What needs to be done is design an ATX motherboard with MXM Type 2 slots, but at the same time make MXM cards available that are functionally equivalent to, and for the same price as PCI-E units. Then re-design the mobo (freed up from its constraints by the new slots) for those who are willing/able to change to a new form factor case. But that will take at least 5 years.

Manufacturers, who are in this game not for their aesthetic gratification but to make money, are very concerned with pleasing people. A pleased consumer is a paying consumer. Nobody is going to invest a large sum of money on a machine that has no upgrade path...

...except Apple users, it seems. You may laugh at PCs for clunky and outdated design, but PC users laugh at Macs for their almost built-in obsolescence --and at such prices, too!

Don't believe me? Think this is the ranting of a luddite? OK, where are all the iMac G3s (1998)? Where are the iMac G4s (2002)? But I can point you to plenty of PCs that were built in 1998 or 2002 and are still in active service today, running the latest CPUs and GPUs on the latest mobos. Not bad, for a machine that may have cost half the price. Outdated? Cutting-edge technology runs deeper than a pretty skin, dude.

You think that you are a prophet shouting at the misguided masses? Dude, I was messing with a ZX81 when you were probably still in diapers. I modded my C64. The "AppleDesign: the work of the Apple Industrial Design Group" lies permanently on my coffee table (great book --if you don't have it, buy it --it'll teach you a bit about the realities of product design). You mentioned Jonathan Ive? I can tell you a bit about Harmut Esslinger. Apple makes great innovative products, which has undeniably had benefits for the PC world (OSX spurred on the development of a decent-looking Windows GUI; the Apple G5 tower inspired the much-loved Lian-Li 1000 series cases) but it can only do so because it is one company catering to a select audience. There is a reason why PCs are the workhorses in the computing world. That Porsche may be a beautiful piece of engineering, but for real life that not-so-glamourous Volvo estate is more practical and costs less to run.

18. whitehotmac

whitehotmac Banned

I knew I was wasting my time in here, from the outset. Trying to explain the difference between "the bottom line" and style, to a majority of PC tinkerers is, yes, a waste of time, for whatever reason. The reason Apple succeed, is the differentiation between monetary value, and changing the way people think. Maybe they don't have market share, but it is NOT all about money, as much as you have been told otherwise.

Apple users have one thing that you can never possibly have experienced; the feeling of excitement, when you *KNOW* Steve Jobs is going to announce a new product or suite of software, but you can't quite put ya finger upon what it is. Knowing that the machine you dream of owning, has been given a speed bump, a design makeover, but also... A MASSIVE PRICE CUT AT THE SAME TIME. There is nothing that can match that feeling of excitement, and "knowing" you made the right decision.

Do you get excited when Dell bring out a new case design?. Do you long to own that disfigured new HP Pavilion, that has more silver than a roll of tin foil?. Spray painted plastic, PRETENDING to be metal... :hehe::jawdrop:. Nothing is comparable, and until you feel that excitement for the best computer company in existance, you are missing out badly.

I tinker about with PCs when I wanna learn how things work, but when I want to get down to some serious fun/work/creativity, I use my Macintosh. Bye guys.

[PS] I am 32 - assumption is a dangerous thing.

19. Nexxo

Trying to explain to you the difference between aesthetic vision and practical reality is a waste of time too, it seems.

Yeah, that's why they manufacture their iPods in China. :rolleyes: It's a business, like any other business. It projects a corporate image and brand ideology that appeals to its consumer group, it tries to distinguish itself from its competitors, tries to make the consumer feel special for owning their product. It is called marketing. But the bottom line, like with any company, is to make a profit.

You also have "unwrapping parties", I hear. Sounds all a bit cult-ish to me. Do you also join hands and sing "Kum Ba Yah"?

A computer is a machine, not a religious experience. I appreciate a well-built, elegantly designed object like anyone else (I have an iPod Nano 2, for instance), but I don't worship it.
    Pray to your God, prophet, but leave us to live our lives, OK?

I'm 41. That means that you were only 6 when I was 15, and laying my fingers on the first computer keyboard. Ah, technology, it moves so fast, no? :)

20. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

You act like you're enlightened and are trying to teach some sinners a holy lesson. Well, I thionk all of us have experienced that excitement, when I recieve a piece of new hardware I'm bloody excited. What you just said was extremely patronising - you're doing nothing to help the bad name of the Mac community.

Just because we prefer PCs and Wintel machines does not mean we bow down to megacorporations. Many of the mods here are absolutely amazing, WMD here comes to mind. I doubt you'd find the sort of engineering that went into that inside a Mac.

Tags: Add Tags