1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DS iPhone to compete with DS for handheld games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Amon, 14 Aug 2007.

1. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Source: http://theinquirer.net/?article=41686
    In my mind, I'm thinking of a full-fledged RPG like Diablo 2 using the touchscreen to click in areas like a mouse.:eeek: There's absolutely no way I can afford an Apple iPhone, but if Apple gathers some talent behind this initiative, we might see some incredibly innovative games using touch-sensitive controls to compete with Nintendo's DS.

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

It'll never happen. For one the iPhone is just way to expensive and there's no international market, not enough people own one.
    Secondly the DS is cheap, has a wide library of games and many people have one.

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I have lots of touch screen games on my PDA along time before the DS came out. I doubt the Iphone could have any decent games to DS standard, it will be PDA standard

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Never gonna happen, well, it's never going to knock Nintendo off the top spot, for one, the iPhone is expensive, secondly, the DS Lite has sold like a bazillion units, it tops the charts of hardware sales month after month worldwide, and it's not a close battle either, they're selling like hot cakes.

5. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I say say let em try, so far NOTHING has knocked nintendo off the hand held top spot. No matter how much more technically superior the product is Nintendo has the hand held market sewn up. Can anyone here honestly tell me they'd rather have a PSP to a DS?

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

PSPs are a neat bit of kit, but honestly I'll stick with my DS, Phoenix Wright pwns all

7. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

Some would it's just that those who do are in the minority.

DS F-T-W

i think the DS could last till 2010-2011 before we even see anything about the next handheld from nintendo.

8. kempez

kempez modding again!

Seriously I don't think so. The DS is way too trick :)

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

No way it's going to happen. Any games that require any precision are completely unsuitable for use on an iPhone, and anything in-depth almost certainly would. D2? I don't think so. I expect some games official games to show up in time, but more along the lines of the NES emulator hack that's been done.

I have an iPhone, and I'm quite happy with it. But while having a few basic games on it to pass the time would be nice, I wouldn't think playing anything complicated on one would be too fun.

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

DS has got too many moves and games, with Nintendo throughly pwning the market for too long to be over-ruled by an upstart in this area. They have too much loyalty.

Betting the article was written by some nonce who noticed that both have touch screens, saw the NES emulator and came to a stupid conclusion.

11. Korvaz

Korvaz What's a Dremel?

I find that the PSP has a good homebrew scene. Not that i'd ever use such features, or.. do such things.. No no.. Not me. :worried:

12. K

K 528491

Ain't nevvvverrr gonna happen. Whilst I'm sure the iPhone could be a viable platform for some half-decent touch-screen games, competing with something as established as the DS is just ridiculous. Enough with convergance, my DS plays games and my phone makes calls.

13. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

there's compete and attempt to compete, I suspect apple will wage ware against big N in the same way nokia did with the ngage lol ;)

14. rufiosab

rufiosab What's a Dremel?

liking the response, though this isnt really the place i'd expect to find iphone junkies.
    i'll be sticking with my DS for some time

15. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

YEs me, I use my PSP every day on my way to work as an MP3 player and games on a lunch time and have over 15 great games for it on UMD. My DS, well its been in the draw since christmas when I bought my wife it. She got bored qucik too after completing New super Mario. I keep looking in Game Station for any game that might interest me but there just isnt.

Its got alot of games but they all look naf abd kiddy to me. Might put the DS up on the For Sale Forum as its got no use. See if the wife wants to get rid of it and get another PSP because she steals my psp and plays on it more.

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Ngage anyone ?

EDIT: ah I thought no one had mention it ;). I guess I was wrong

Anyway there is not much to add from what you all said so far. Nintendo is on the top to stay and they have shown that low prices and low power DO work to sell a lot (DS and Wii)

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Thats the problem a lot of people have with the DS, they're unwilling to give the "kiddie" or obscure games a shot, many kids games are actually very good games and challenging for adults the majority of the time.

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

The DS is a dream for puzzle game and all of them look like kids games even if they're not

19. K

K 528491

Puzzle games for sure. Picross DS is offensively addictive. I must have spent half my summer playing it. Not to mention the likes of Planet Puzzle League, Tetris DS and the stupidly good Castlevania games.

20. rufiosab

rufiosab What's a Dremel?

yeah, i agree the puzzle games are great, picross ds is awesome and for me handhelds are all about the platformers and puzzlers and the ds has not let me down

Tags: