1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware list

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Noobkiller, 16 Aug 2007.

1. Noobkiller

Noobkiller What's a Dremel?

2. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

going to want a better wireless card than that aren't you?

otherwise this looks like some good stuff

3. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Not a bad build, although I have two suggestions. It might be better for you to go with a dvd-rom drive for approx. $3 or 4 more than the CD-rom you have selected. They generally have no problems reading both dvds and cd-roms and thus will be more versatile. Second, I wouldn't trust my builds with a psu such as the one you have picked. Power supply is not the place to skimp in a build, in particular with the wonderful video card (8800 GTS) you have selected. I'm certain everyone could make recommendations, but it might be good to state your dollar limit. Also, what are your plans with this build and do you plan to overclock at all?

4. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

As with the previous comments, about the PSU, DVD and WiFi...and one more bit to add. The speakers? Cheapness in the speakers is something you want to avoid, if you want decent sound quality. How much extra could you add to the budget? (if anything)

5. SanDmaN

SanDmaN Minimodder

I notice you are buying from a few shops, is the money you save by buying from other shops greater than the extra costs on postage? Also you seem to have chosen the basics of everything apart from the gfx card. Maybe you should look into downgrading on that and maybe upgrading of other items like cpu / ram / psu etc. It's all well and good having a top gfx card but if the rest of the system isn't up to the job then you'll not be getting the full benefits of the card.

Also you'll find a lot of games are on DVD now so you should get a dvd-rom at least (writers are dirt cheap now too) and also you have no fans for cooling too. i'd atleast have 1 input and 1 output just to keep everything nice and cool. Also there's no monitor......

6. Noobkiller

Okay, 1) Where I can find a DVD Rom drive for only $3 to $4?

2) What power supply do you reccomend?

I have $820 bucks now, (thx to my blog, Pariah's Guild) and type of speakers do you reccomend?

My parents are buying the monitor. I can't downgrade on the processor because I have an Nforce 4 mobo (socket 939) that haven't been used.

7. Noobkiller

What wireless card do you reccommend?

8. Noobkiller

sorry, must of misread. I'll replace that cd-rom drive with a dvd rom drive. Might be a little more though

9. Noobkiller

well, it looks like I'll be doing most of my shopping with Newegg.com. The only thing I'll be buying froma different store is VIsta and the heatsink.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well for a wireless network adapter if your mobo already has a spare PCI-e slot, I can highly recommend an Abit Airpace (got one here). Brilliant, no-fuss adapters.

If you're after USB, then I've had a decent experience with this Belkin one.

Unless you really won't use it, I'd spring the extra few dollars for a DVD-RW too, they're not that expensive these days.

One more thing - PLEASE GOD replace that PSU. I've seen so many builds fall apart at the seams because the PSU gets skimped on. Even if you have to jump down to an X1950 XT from that 8800GTS, please get a decent, big-brand PSU. We're talking $100-worth of decent PSU here. Something about 480W should do you fine.

Big brands would be: Corsair, Tagan, Hiper, PCP&C, OCZ, Antec, Seasonic, Silverstone and Zalman. Anyone else in newegg's manufacturer list you can forget (or near enough, I could've left out a couple of decent brands pending BBQ's pwn knowledge of PSU's).

I can't say this enough times. DECENT PSU.

11. Noobkiller

to be honest Krikkit, I DON'T TRUST USB WIRELESS NETWORK ADAPTERS. Every USB Wireless Network adapter I got, it took 3 months for it to die on me. So, to avoid any aggrivation, I'm going with a PCI slot one.

THX for the major help guys! I'll keep asking my build related questions in this thread

12. Krikkit

Fair enough, I really recommend that one though, a mate of mine's had one for a couple of years now without a single problem, ever.

Please, let me sleep tonight knowing that you'll change that PSU. Please.

13. Noobkiller

14. kingdavies

kingdavies Minimodder

You need DDR ram not DDR2. The second PSU is better, if you want one of the best graphics cards then you need one of the best PSU's!

15. Noobkiller

thx for the heads up man

16. Krikkit

17. Noobkiller

18. Noobkiller

:eyebrow:
    this has 430 watts

19. kingdavies

kingdavies Minimodder

20. Krikkit

It should be plenty tbh, as long as you don't go mad with bucketloads of extra drives and peripherals. :)

Seasonics really are very good, they often underestimate how much a PSU can take. :)