1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Thermaltake MaxOrb and V1 CPU coolers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Aug 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. naokaji

naokaji whatever

i didnt really think that tt would ever dare to reuse the orb name:D just too many memories of the noise.... (which suddenly changed to silent with the appeareance of the god of noise (coolermaster hhc-001).... (srry.. got distracted by the past)

the v1 actually is a nice product.... cools good and still fits on "full" mainboards, not so sure about the orb though... not bad.. but not really better or different form the competition.
    nice review.. cant wait for the other ones you promised

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We've just got in the Tunic Tower, Thermalright 120, Freezer Pro 7 (I'm testing now actually) and a few others turned up this morning :)

4. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

- Is that the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme you've got there Bindi?

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I didn't think thermaltae could do heatsinks.

Please Get a Tuniq Tower and a Themalright 120 Extreme in there Tim!

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Might be :worried:

;)

Mankz - we might have both already...

EDIT: Added Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro to the results line-up.

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Aug 2007
  7. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

As soon as I saw the MaxOrb, I thought that it looked like a beast of a cooler.

I wanna see how the Freezer 7 performs, as it's essentially the same as a Freezer64. I might actually end up replacing my cooler, as the MaxOrb looks like it might outperform it. Edit: What am I, a spazz? Damn you, faded out results!

Although, £30 is a lot of money compared to the (roughly) £13 I paid for a Freezer 64 Pro.

Edit: 2.5*. Meh, not really worth it.

8. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Yay freezer 7 on the way, I was about to offer to buy you guys one :lol:

EDIT: Just seen that it is in there, now, why would you go for any of the others listed there? Freezer 7 is as good if not better than the majority of the other players, it's half (if not less) the price than most of the other tested coolers, and it is quiet, even on full pelt it is pretty quiet, certainly not audiable over 2 120mm case fans running flat out.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2007
  9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's not that quiet. The MaxOrb and V1 on mid-low setting is extremely quiet in comparison but much, much louder if you turn it up full and the Freezer is still just a fraction of the price (like you said).

I'm not sure if we'll review the Freezer 7 Pro, in full, rather just give you the results for comparison.

EDIT: Full Freezer 7 Pro results added in the table.

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Aug 2007
  10. Tim S

Tim S OG

It won the first heatsink grouptest we did last year, so I don't see the point in reviewing it again. The results are now there for comparison though. :)

11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Loved the U shaped motherboard.

12. Mother-Goose

Yep probably doesn't need another review, but I am glad you have got the results up for comparison.

@ bindi, I agree, it isn't silent, but my threshold for computer noise isn't that bad, if it is on, it'll make noise in my book, but not too much. And as you say, it isn't too loud full pelt either, and the price difference allows you to overlook that area (it did for me at least :))

13. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

So in otherwords dont get one of these but istead this one - Full Freezer 7 Pro. Id say ill need one for what I have ordered.

14. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

That MaxOrb has a very high fin density, which is good, although very hard to clean with the heatpipes abundantly interleaving them. Looks like you guys bent a fin or two on the V1!

15. Mother-Goose

fwalm, basically the scythe ones are great, they are quiet and good at cooling, a bit of abugger to mount though.

However, the freezer 7 pro is half the price, cools just as well, is easier to mount and a little bit louder, but as I said earlier, I can hardly hear it lol

16. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

Cheers Goose ill go for it then

17. Mother-Goose

I would! Go for some Artic Silver thermal paste to go with it as well :)

18. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I love my maxorb. A lot of people complain about heat on the p5k deluxe but with the airflow on the orb it keeps the heatsinks nice and cool. and I crank the fan up to the max. Sure I can hear it but to be honest, its not that loud. I mean, the traffic on the street is louder than my fan so its not really that big of a deal. Of course I work next to a compressor site with a 20 foot fan at about 1500 rpm so maybe I'm just used to some real noise.

19. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

The paste that comes with it isn't half bad. It's either MX-1 or MX-2, right?

20. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

whats the height of the orb?

Tags: Add Tags