1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development My Son Wants To Be A Programmer.

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheEclipse, 19 Aug 2007.

1. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

C++ is being integrated into the kernel

Anyway, it's about programming in general, C++ is the best way to learn good habits like OOP.

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I'd go with C++ if you were going to choose out of C/C++. Simply because of the OOP stuff.

Also, you can make kernel modules and such out of anything (MS has a project where the kernel is C# code, slow as hell though).

3. TheEclipse

TheEclipse What's a Dremel?

So anymore more books that you could reccomend

4. RTT

RTT #parp

That book is written by the two guys who developed the language.

;)

5. TheEclipse

What are the advatages of learning C over C++

6. RTT

RTT #parp

Depends who you ask ;) C almost naturally leads to C++ - he will progress to C++ in all likelihood. Doug will tell you to jump straight into C++, but I would say you should spend at least a little time with C before going to C++. Just my 2p :)

Bear in mind that the book I recommended is a reference, not a hand-holding guide on how to learn. I suppose that was a bad recommendation in that respect, but it is worth buying to go along side a tutorial type book (for which I have no recommendations).

7. TheEclipse

Thankyou RTT does anyone have any suggestions.

8. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

Wow 13 yrs some of you guys started!!

Anyway..here's my history, Pascal at college, C/C++, Java at uni, as well as some php. Trying to learn a bit of C# now.

so my tip start with C, then C++, then java.

C is the best to learn. I don't have any books, because we did Embedded C, and it helps to have practical lessons, with teachers. So am stuck on that point. Best to buy some C books and just dig in.

9. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

10. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

In my school we started (and a currently revising) Visual Basic and i seemed too have picked it up fairly quickly. Its not that tremendously dificult either.

I would really try somthing you can get a visual output and something worthwhile. More than making a picture of a clown appear and disapear...

So for that instace i would recomend LUA (http://www.lua.org/) used with garrys mod or something similair. I hope he emjoys what ever he chooses!

11. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

Hi, I am 15 now and was in a similar predicament 2 years back, so I have a few recommendations which made my life easier.

What OS does he use? Linux is doubtless the easiest OS to learn to program in, mostly due to the open-sourceness of its apps. I use Gentoo mostly because of the ease in which one can write new programs or modify existing ones. If he was willing to switch, it would make his life a lot easier.

In terms of the language, I suggest C, because it teaches you excellent program design, is portable between OSes and architectures, and because it is so widely used. Before C, I tried BASIC, python, and ruby, and didn't like them at all, mostly due to how application-specific BASIC is, and the overhead of the python and ruby interpreters. If at a later date he wants to learn C++, he will be well on his way, whereas it is very hard to revert to C from C++ if needed.

I found "C in easy steps" to be an excellent book, as it covers most of C, but concisely, so it also useful for referance. It is a lot less daunting than other books, while retaining most of the factual info.

The thing I found most important was to focus on a specific app I wanted to make, I chose writing a pacman clone in C for my ipod. Again, it may not be to taste, but I found ipodlinux easy to code for, but rewarding and informative, and the programs are short enough to understand easily. I suggest that early on he chooses a program to design, as it gives focus to the learning experiance.

12. TheEclipse

Thanks Confused FishCake. He Uses Windows Xp/Vista and is thinking about buying a Mac next year. Would want to program applications for windows though.

Now he has decided to learn C what books would you reccomend for that particular language.

13. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I only made my sugestion because all Ive ever used was basic and Visual basic in College and both were very nOOb friendly. I didnt really want to learn how to program, and had no idea about any of it but both were really simple to the extent that even I understood what was going on and could manage them lol

The idea of goals is also a good one rather than just playing about on them

14. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

Programming graphical applications in Windows is horrific. I would definitely suggest doing it on a Mac, after learning C/C++ he could go on to learn Cocoa (a framework for OS X) which will allow him to make graphical applications in OS X with ease.

15. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

I'd say start with some basic Java (no real need to worry about pointers) and once you can do some very basic stuff, move on to C (especially learning pointers and memory allocation/deallocation), from there he can either go back to Java or move on to C++ to learn OO.

Personally I started with GWBasic (back on DOS 4), and moved on to Visual Basic before going to Uni. While some of the basic concepts helped a bit (such as variables, if then else, arrays, etc) I think starting with another language would have been much better.

16. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

do NOT start with basic / visual basic. Trust me on that. You're only shooting yourself in the foot when the time comes to learn something new.

Do yourself a favor and start with C++. I recommend the book by Dissection.

17. TheEclipse

Intresting. He is sure he wants to do either C or C++. I really need some of your reccomendations for books.

18. RTT

RTT #parp

Look on Amazon & read the reviews.

19. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

Hmmm... Are you sure you don't want to go the route my dad did and tell me I had to be a chiropractor or he wasn't going to help me through college?

It's a real cheap way of getting out of paying for your kids college if they have any balls whatsoever.

/bitterness

I went BASIC -> Visual BASIC -> C++ and it seemed to go pretty smoothly just coding games and programs I wanted to. Plus my highschool had some great teachers that knew how to code and were willing to help students who wanted to learn.

20. TheEclipse

I was really hoping that somone on here might reccomend a book as you can never tell how good they are on amazon.