1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Me Choose a Dog, any lvl of experience welcome :)

Discussion in 'General' started by wewe, 19 Aug 2007.

1. wewe

wewe What's a Dremel?

Sup! first post so go easy on me!!

I'm thinking of buying from either of an Akita, Siberian Husky or Rottweiler, they are in order of expense from local breeders.

I know the level of commitment and training an Akita will require, + they are regarded, as 'menaces stubbornb' but this is bs, becuase it's thier nature, it should be the owners fault if they turn on them considering the amount of knowledge avail on them, I don't mind having one, inface I just love thier appearance and is by far the most intelligent dog out of the three but is pricey, and I am a student, on just a little higher than min wage :(

I have been researching huskies for ages, and I just love them the more I read into them, I have a friend who bought a pedigree one, and It's absolutely amazing to be around, cheery, happy, and funny loving obedient dog

Lastly, and by no means least, the Rottweiler I love thier loyalty that beautuful happy face, they are fairly easy to train, but will cost more on feed than the other two, but doesn't blow thier coat twice a year, yay!

I don't have a gf, and I am the most least promiscious person ever uhm, so I have a lot of time, and a hell of a lot of knowledge about all three breeds, and know what to look for when I purchase on from a breeder, but am dumbfounded which one to choose as I like each of them equally, and no, having all three is not an option :p

2. ỒĊBłůē

ỒĊBłůē Also available in black

Sorry to ask, but we'd better get this type of question out of the way first -

Out of interest, what are your full circumstances (age, living arrangements, income, free time, etc...)?

I only ask as there are a great many people that buy a dog because it 'seemed like a good idea at the time.'

Your life can change, but the dog will still be there.

Dog ownership is expensive (food, annual vet bills, pet insurance, etc...) and time consuming and not one to be entered into lightly.

3. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

Huskies are lovely dogs, but really need a LOT of exercise to be happy. If you can't give them enough time (at least two long run arounds a day) I'd suggest looking at another breed. And as always I'd suggest visiting your local rescue centre - you may just fall in love with one of the dogs there, and allow the rescue centre to look after another dog.

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

QFT. Why spend money on a dog with the chance of genetic problems, when there are thousands of dog put down every year because no one wants them? Go to the pound and give a dog a happy home. They may not be pedigree, but are you buying a couch or a loving member of your family?

5. wewe

wewe What's a Dremel?

Hi,

My age is 19, going on 20 soon, income varies per month, but on top of student loan should be around £600 pm, free time, well too much, hence why I need a pet

I work within the animal/pet sector, so I get free pet insurance and pet plan.

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

No question about it, get the Siberian Husky.

7. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Siberian Husky! They're so sweet! :)

Why would anybody want a rottweiler?

8. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

A female rottweiler makes the best family dog ever. I would never worry about someone touching my kids. And when raised with love and kindness, they are incredibly affectionate and loyal.

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I'd be tempted by the Rottweiler, only because no ******* would ever attempt to touch you again.
    Why go for the pedigree however? Just go to the home, that's what we did.

10. _crazy_crazy_

_crazy_crazy_ mi mum say's that i'm special

well this post was made for me since i have an Siberian husky , a rotweiller , two boxers lool and i must say the husky really needs lots of space and they can't be chain up a rotweiller is a awesome dog but where i live Portugal since a few months back going out with the rotweiller its becoming a nightmare the insurance for it the muzzle but still its an awesome dog and be careful your arms will look like you put them in some type of machine they have sharp claws lol and the boxers i know you didn't say anything about them but they are very good dogs too more of company dogs and they are very jealous lool
    and if i stay out of home more than 4 days they will enter some kind of depression and don't eat or anything but they are very loyal and good protectors especially for children , every time they see an adult trying to hit a child they will attack and don't get alluded they are true beats when they want and they'll do anything to protect the child lool well at least mine are like that but then again all of my dogs do that lol and none are trained to attack only the basic sit, stay .....that sort of stuff well good luck finding a good dog lol

11. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

as above We've got 2 Boxers and they are as loyal as they come, they play and play and play till there diying days, they'll give you hours of fun and keep you active all the time. They will protect you when needed and they can always sense danger for some odd reason but if you trian them well the usual sit, stay, heal, drop etc... they be as good as gold :) our 2 are lovely the youngest is a bit of a handfull but lovely none the less :).

I vote Boxers out of the above selectons lol

12. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

13. _crazy_crazy_

_crazy_crazy_ mi mum say's that i'm special

lool mdk nice one and wewe if you want a boxer i can help lol mine is pregnant . last time there were seven , not even the power plugs where safe everything until about 15 cm from the floor got chewed lool

14. wewe

wewe What's a Dremel?

that said, that sounds just like the mentality of a human, I've still not chosen, I saw a husky at work the other day, and it just brang a sense of welbeing to the air, and as I laughed at something, it definetely was laughing too :D

15. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Please, please check out those animal shelters, those dogs are desperate.

Both of our dogs were from animal shelters. We have a boxer (my brothers dog) and some kind of mutt that resembles a golden retriever (my dog, god I love her). I'm pretty sure they know how lucky they are that we got them, they are the best dogs anyone could ever want.

So, so true :)

16. wewe

wewe What's a Dremel?

thanks for the advice guys, I might go take a look at the local RSPCA shelter, in leicester, and might come home with something :D