1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Tapping Aqutube to G1/4"

Discussion in 'Modding' started by sykocus, 21 Aug 2007.

1. sykocus

sykocus What's a Dremel?

I'm going to be tapping an aquatube to g1/4" threads. I've read in different places that a 11mm or 11.8mm drill bit should be used. For those that have thread tapping experience, which one should I use? Does it really make a difference? Also since I live the US a drill size would be best. I was thinking 7/16" would be good since it's the next major size down from 1/2".

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Aqua-Computer actually sells an Aquatube with G1/4" threads now (just in case you haven't already bought one). I'll have to look up the sizes later, but whatever you do, use a drill press to drill out the holes.

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Yeah, as Nexxo says, use of a drill press is going to be necessary to make sure you have a straight round bore into the unit so you can tap it right. Otherwise you can screw up the piece and perhaps have leaks down the road due to it looking like a blind and drunk monkey tapped your tube. God, that sounded so wrong.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

And yet, so funny! :D

5. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

If you're going to go through the trouble of tapping the tube (lol, so many "T" words), then double check the exact hole size.

Sometimes wire gauge drill bit sizes are required for proper tapping, but according to this chart, 7/16" is closest to 11mm, and 15/32 is closest to 11.8mm.

6. sykocus

sykocus What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the conversion, but my concern is getting the right size bit for the tap, regardless of the measurement unit. It's just that a bit in inches would be easier for me to find. Unfortunately that chart doesn't list the drill size for a 1/2" hole

7. Stuey

You said that an 11mm or 11.8mm bit was needed so that's what I was going by. Sometimes you cannot get a drill bit in inches though, but this is not one of those times.

I found a few mentions of 11.8 mm also.

Here's a pretty detailed description of the sizes and tapping requirements:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2327673&postcount=13

11.8mm bit = 0.4646 inches.
    15/32" = 0.46875 inches, or 11.91 mm.

That's as close as you're going to get with an inch drill bit. I hope this helps.

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

..Which should suffice. All that would mean is the threads wouldn't be as 'deep' into the walls of the hole or whatever. Besides, it's all details. If I were you, I'd drill a 1/4" hole and just brute-force the sucker! :eek: j/k

9. sykocus

sykocus What's a Dremel?

It looks like 11.8mm is the way to go.

10. Stuey

If you cannot get an 11.8mm bit or if it's too expensive, just go for the 15/32". The radial difference will be 0.0021", which is virtually negligible.