1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK iPhone carriers announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 23 Aug 2007.

1. koola

koola Minimodder

What he said.

2. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

i spent a whopping $100 on my 8gb iphone, but I just dont use it for the phone. It replaced my ipod, and now i have a web browser also. For 100 its an awesome phone,but 600 for a highschool student isnt worth it.

3. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

QFT on both

Its a phone ffs, you make calls on it, maybe even send a text or two - the rest is just a waste of time and gimmicks IMO

4. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

About time. I've been putting off getting a new phone for 6 months now, I'm out of contract with vodaphone, so iPhone & O2 here I come.

Where do I sign? :D :lol:

5. Korvaz

Korvaz What's a Dremel?

On the dotted line, with the blood of your enemies, most likely. Meh, Apple. Style over Substance.

6. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

In the new Solihull store by any chance? I applied for that job too..

THEIF! :p

7. checkoutdude

checkoutdude What's a Dremel?

i am already on a contract very close to that which at&t are offering in the USA on the iphone (no visual voice mail but slightly more texts), i am only paying £35, so if O2 put the line rental price higher than this, its not gonna work!

Problem is my contract its on vodafone and now i find out they are not getting the iphone!!! shame!!! not that i want to move to O2 as my friends never have signal on O2 when i do on vodafone!

also i do understand the price of the iphone £300 is like the price for a top of the range ipod and video player.... shame though its as cheap as nokia/sony phones, why?? it the norm to get phones cheap on a contract-will the iphone work, maybe!!! but i will stick to vodafone and a lovely 3g signal!

8. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

I would get an iphone.. but they don't want me to have one.

- O2.. never going to go back to them
    - GPRS not 3G.. prfftt!!
    - Going on the American costs.. It's probably £350, £30 a month for unlimited internet use (maybe) and a contract for 18 months.

... no chance!

9. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

there was a point when i wanted one. but apple seem to be once again targeting the "rich trendy folk" and keeping these types of devices out of reach of normal people that would rather but the phone for its functionality than buy it just because it has an apple logo on.
    It is probably best waiting 6 months as I am sure many more phones will become available that would improve on the design.

10. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I don't bash it for no reason.

Whilst it does some things better than other phones*, it' still lacks some of the most basic features available on other phones**, has a retarded 3rd party app lockout***, and quite literally costs about 2-3+ orders of magnitude more than similar specced PDAs/mobiles when factoring the contract and lack of contract subsidy.

I have a T-Mobile MDA at the moment, and even though the iphone looks nicer, i wouldn't even take one if given one for free as it'd be a hefty downgrade to my current PDA due to the app-lockout.

* snazzy UI
    ** you know, little things such as the complete lack of MMS and other things
    *** microsoft did the the same thing 5-6 years ago and was forced to back-down and allow 3rd-party apps... if apple are so innovative, why are they making the exact same mistake a much larger company made over half a decade ago?

11. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Apple hasn't actually confirmed anything, as the story says... it's merely that the Financial Times reported the deal was done. There's still no word from Apple, so saying that Apple has said this is the case is a bit misleading. There's still plenty of room for this to go pear shaped before announcement!

12. Risky

Risky Modder

Well the good news for some is that if the phone is unsubsidised the min tarrif should be lowish.

However I wouldn't be seen dead with one. I have a MDA-Vario II as a phone/pda with 3G and a audio player that allowbe a choice of formats (iAudio X5). I don't see the need to mege these into one device that's not as good as the two I have now.

Furthermore I have used macs for many years at work and recently fought with iTunes for the car player and I'm afraid it's not for me. I don't like anthing about the way they do UIs and won't be spending £400 to see if I want to change my mind.

13. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Oh great, this is all we're going to hear from frappacino drinking journalists for the next 6 months :p.

14. K

K 528491

That's the one yeah.

Sorry? lol

15. fev

fev Industry Fallout

iPhone on Orange... oh dear I can see it now.

"my phone bill is £450?!. I thought I had unlimited data?!"
    - yes sir, unlimited up to 1000mb
    "But T-mobile web n walk is half the price and twice the bandwidth?"
    - welcome to Orange

16. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

It could be worse it could be on on O2 with its 4 times the price and 1/4 of the bandwidth. Oh hang on...... :D

17. 24-1

24-1 What's a Dremel?

with the US price cuts today thi sis lookign even better for uk launch

18. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Assuming it'll be after Oct, then spot on for my contract renewal :D

19. fev

fev Industry Fallout

no dates as of yet, although going from 60 hours a week down to 8 has stopped me from being "as" up to date as i'd like

Tags: Add Tags