1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAF Jets Intercept Russian Bomber

Discussion in 'Serious' started by The Stig, 23 Aug 2007.

1. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Just found out... we're getting this(you may recognise it from Live free or Die Hard) at Lossiemouth.

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Well, being a licenced glider pilot, I know my fair share of airspace regulations... And given the correct flightplan + equipment (like a transponder), A class airspace is perfectly crossable, unless the UK changed their regulations opposing the AIP.

And above FL100 the airspace is regarded as 'free' IIRC, but not 100% sure of that... You can check in the AIP if you want tough...

Tupolev Bears are designed to carry nuclear payloads, I'm aware of that... But some cars are designed to drive 200mph, yet they often don't drive that fast. I'm just saying, they can carry nuclear payloads, but I highly doubt they are carrying any payload. And then again, I highly doubt that ANY nation (appart from Idiot run US) will ever drop 1 nuclear bomb. They are fully aware that if they do they'll be wiped away in a matter of hours.

And then again, military aircraft are flown by experienced pilots following well tought orders, and nothing more. Commercial airliners transport hundreds of individuals, of which some might not be so friendly. It's not because you have to put your breath mints in a see through bag that a plane is safe...

3. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

American government wouldn't drop the bomb, it'd be political suicide...now Pakistan or India? I could seem them getting into a nuclear war

4. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Off-topic kinda but the Typhoon F2 is a georgeous fighter. I have never been a fan of the delta wings, but that one makes it look good.

5. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

It may be fairly easily crossable to you, with a transponder and a license but a warplane is a different thing altogether and gliders were one of the classes of aircraft I mentioned. How high is FL100? I read up on gliding when I thought I was going to Southampton uni and was going to join the gliding club, they had a blanket altitude limit of 12000 feet ASL regardless of where they were ( that might have been an oxygen thing though).

Moriquendi

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

And the police have methods of dealing with cars which are speeding. Granted this bomber and probably none of the ones that a flown towards nato bases are armed but they could be and it would only take one of these to cripple the financial center of the UK. And to your analogy of the pilots not to long a go these guys went months with out seeing a single shiny penny, don't for a second believe these pilots are above a bribe. Just as it would be foolish to belive that a RAF pilot or an US pilot or any one else for that matter they are only human. I agree though that the security at airports is a joke, but i was listening to a security analist on radio two the other week, it was his opinion that no terrorist was ever stooped by security regulations, however they do make the plane safer by providing a more controlled environment.

7. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I bet Putin just finished watching season 5 of 24 >_<

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Do you honestly think that Russia is just going to start carrying nuclear payloads over the UK? I think someone's been watching too much Bill O'Reilly.

-monkey

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Flightlevel 1000 = 100 000 ft in reference to the 1013 hPa pressure plane... (BTW, 100 was a typo)

I've been up to 7km above France, with the use of oxigen of course... Above 3km it's really needed

Yeah, security measures are like DRM... an annoyance to the ones that do it legal, and easy avoid for those nasties... Safer environments are good, but they lack implementation in current airplanes (which are often 10years+ old)

As for the threat, Russia is no threat to the west... They even colaborate... Think of the International Space Station? Ok, they don't bend like many countries would like them to, and they have their unique way of doing things (mostly originating from the communist past) but I don't see them as a threat. The US on the other hand, I do see as a threat, forcing their ways upon the world... Live and let live...

10. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I don't watch the O'Reilly factor. I'm not saying they are carrying it. But if you see someone pointing a gun, do you think "It's not loaded"? I just believe that if they are flying a friggin Bomber, which by definition is meant to carry thousands of pounds of explosives, near another countrie's airspace they very well could be carrying lord who knows what besides the pilots. And also aside from the Fighters, most of the large scale bombers have been built with, or retrofitted to carry nuclear payloads. Like I said, I'm not saying they are/were carrying them, but if you think they can't and won't if they wish to; then you are in sime kind of La-La Land where we just have them for no reason. And to think it's a non issue and shouldn't be a crime to fly over another airspace with a military attack craft is pretty ludacris.

Removed the last part of my comment to Glider. Don't want to go down the U.S. is evil road. Seen enough of it.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2007
  11. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Well, Russia is certainly a county that hasn't forced it's beliefs upon others the last decade (or my brain must be letting me down...). Can't say that of the US now can we? Iraq is just the tip of the US' iceberg... I'm not talking about a conspiracy, I'm talking about minding your ow business. Why Putin has made that statement (which has completely passed me by BTW), I don't know, nor do I care. I just notice a non-issue like this is blown up into a tug-of-war. For all that we know the Bear might be flying a environmental mission observing the dolphins in their natural habitat. And then again, who are we to rule international waters?

As been said before, this was just a nice display of the Typhoon... Hey look, we have them, and they do fly too! Oh no! Russia is going to nuke us, better waste spend some more money on the Arms lobby... I mean war on terror in favor of world peace!

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Well to be fair Russia had already bombed Afghanistan into the stone age long before the "good guys" got there.

13. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Not very long after the plane was a commissioned military aircraft, without prior permission. It's called an invasion: "An invasion is a military action consisting of armed forces of one geopolitical entity entering territory controlled by another such entity." (Wikipedia).

Well, if we count the cold war exercises as "routine", I guess it was. However, while details are being rather hard to find, I would point out that as flight plans were not filed, the UK was not informed of a training mission that would involve a commissioned Russian warplane approaching British airspace, and that apparently, it got close enough to scramble a pair of fighters, it was anything other than "routine".

(edit) And Russia is a country, not a county - there's a bit of a difference between the two.(/edit)

14. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Fact remains that it didn't cross into UK airspace... You don't like getting pulled over because you were allmost speeding...

It's a country (that was a typo), but certainly not a countrie...

15. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Ah - your analogy is incorrect. They didn't force the bomber to land and get crawled over by security people. They just followed it with a pair of (rather good looking, if I dare say so) Typhoons. So instead of getting pulled over for almost speeding, it's like having a police car follow you for a bit because you're driving a sporty-looking car at near the speed limit. Nothing very serious, just a polite reminder that there are laws concerning maximum velocity, and that they are enforced.

I haven't seen logs of what was said, so I don't know if it was a friendly "Hi there!" type encounter, or a more serious "turn back now, Sir" one.

(And I thought you were responding to the (correctly spelled) "country" in the bit you were quoting, not the mis-spelled "countrie" in the post that you didn't quote. Sorry about that.)

16. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Air to Air interceptions are mostly unfriendly... But I won't go into speculating... Nobody knows, nor will ever know what the mission of the Tu Bear was. Nobody knows what the evil plot of Putin is, and how the West will react. Time will tell

I just found it funny that a native English speaker (or at least an inhabitant of an English speaking countrY) made such blatant spelling error...

17. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

As long as you don't make such a blatant error in your sentence I will make sure to check the spelling of my post just for you. :thumb:

18. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Tbh guys this is a stupid thing to be argueing about, its a simple fact that a Russian Bomber shouldn't even try to fly over the UK unless it wants to be shot down (Im not saying it was, but it headed towards us).

It is also a fact that the "Bomber" COULD have been carrying bombs of varrying kinds. But probably wasn't.

Now can we please stop arguing about who has the more knowledge about aircraft and aviation, and just get back to drooling over the pretty pretty planes :D

Speculation is fine, but pointless arguments just ruin the forums :( :waah: :dremel:

19. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Well.... i would hope the pilot knew :D :thumb:

20. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Please, don't ruin the forum by double posting... There's a edit button for a reason...

And pointless arguing is exactly what makes a forum so much fun... Nothing like a good tug of war ;)