1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News TV vs. the Internet: Internet wins

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 23 Aug 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. zachjowi

zachjowi What's a Dremel?

what are the sites to watch tv for free?

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Let's go with tvrss.net and leave it at that. Most of the sites you can watch TV online from are of questionable legality, with the exception of Joost and the publisher's actual website.

Anyways, TV is dead to me. I don't own one (though my family has several) and even if I did, it wouldn't be hooked up to actual broadcasting either via cable, satellite, or OTA transmissions. 95% of it is crap, and the other 5% is available on iTunes, Bit-torrent, the publisher's website, or some other source.

4. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

as NTL/virgin has no base sky chans any more i have to download/watch tv useing my computer (or the one stting next to my TV)

5. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

People don't want to be spoon fed programmes anymore. The days of interactive are becoming more mainstream. People want choices, but real choices of what they wish to see. The days of flicking threw numerous channels hoping to find something to watch are hopefully going to go the way of the dodo.

6. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

TV only gives me my Seinfeld fix, because I can't find any decent streams off dailymotion. Television has become such a smut-show, only the Discovery channel is worth watching anymore. All I use my TV for is to watch movies or game on a big screen and comfy couch.

7. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Where on earth do people find all these surveys ?

I have to wonder how accurate they are tbh, how big is the sample size ? and how random is the sample ?
    What about those of use who have a TV (well HTPC) and computer so we can do both ?

8. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

when you use the internet, a Winner is you. :D

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I do download TV, illegally, so does everyone else here. I would not however do that if there were real alternate choices (like the iPlayer). Mostly I either want to download an entire series (or the whole show) when it's not currently shown on TV (DVDs are way too expensive) or I want to catch a show from America that won't be shown here for 9 months.
    If a show like Top Gear is on then I generally record it rather than download it since I get it higher quality and faster that way, plus it's legal.

Give us some options people.

10. Hilariousity

Hilariousity What's a Dremel?

internetz serious business

[​IMG]

11. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

If bittorrent and computers was easier to use then TV would die.... which would then mean no one would have anything to bittorrent and everyone would go back to TV. Then it would start all over again.

They should be bring back The Big Breakfast... sigh... I used to wake up to watch that.. some times.

12. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I dont use or have a TV anymore. Not since moving into my own home with a mortgage and crap. The extra 130 odd quid for a licence can be used elsewhere in my mountain of bills.
    I can get all my content from the interpipes of the web now.
    BBC news 24 is online, this is for the morning tea and breakfast before work.
    Popular american tv shows that at the time of speaking arnt aired here, all through bittorrent.
    Tried joost, its crap.
    Tried 4od its also crap(kservice that is) but its still better than BBC's, download are quicker.
    sopcast for certain sporting events.

I am really not one of these "OMG it has to be super high HD quality" I would be happy watching programs on a mobile phone. I have Friends seasons in a nice box set, but I dont watch them from the DVD anymore. I have them all digital at about 120 meg each episode. and its just better to click a random episode.

I guess youtube isnt too bad either, sometimes you can find some great documentaries on google video too. like 2 hours long if you wanted.

13. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Sample size is slightly over 2,400 households spread out across the globe. It says it right in the article.

14. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

that's what i get for reading the bit tech summary :p

Anyway, if that's it, that is a really really poor sample, 2400 people for a global sample ? you have to be kidding

15. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I'm amazed how many have PVRs. That figure makes me think that this test group wasn't as "broad" as they make it out to be.

16. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

ditto. my 29' TV is barely on now. its probably on when my gf or family is here n they wanna watch some female-oriented shows like Oprah or TLC channel or E! and the likes....

17. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

TV is a bit boring now. YouTube is much more fun. As for the good TV channels, they just repeat the same episodes of the same shows. But, I have yet to see a proper TV show broadcast online (a show like Top Gear, for example), and I think that we will need more reliable internet connections to do so.

18. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I dont watch TV on the internet for several reasons.

1) Constant TV watching causes alot of downloading and then AOL jsut limit me to 256k from 8mb and then its imposible to watch TV as it does not stream.

2) The quality of the TV is so poor. VCD is better.

3) If you go buy Channel 4, then they charge you per program which sucks. Im not going to pay that as if I paif to watch then id get Sky.

5) How can I sit and watch TV and surf on my Laptop?? I dont like to watch TV in Small windows.

My TV stays

19. Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner What's a Dremel?

Well I bought a 24" monitor a couple of months back because I realised that pretty much all the TV I watch bar sport (apart from the 3pm kick off games ;) ) has been on my computer. Even TV they show in this country and on terrestrial I tend to download because I can watch it whenever I want. You can find great quality releases (720p) for most american shows as well. Saves getting a pvr.

20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Most of the TV I watch now comes via the net, the rest I get from Sky.

Tags: Add Tags