1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gabe Newell says DX10 for Vista was a mistake

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 Aug 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Arhh well, wont DX 11 be out soon? :p

3. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

ooo i'm one of 2.3%, now to get more ram so that i feel like i should be part of the eilte.

And if this DX fails does this mean that it will effectively kill PC gaming or just hold it in DX9 until 11 comes out or a console support 10...

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I'm one of those 2.3 percent as well. And my PC is waaay up in the high end!

My bank account is weeping silently in a corner somewhere though...

5. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

So i'm guessing not many bit-tech people took that survey or the results might be slightly different. And aren't all bank accounts weeping after their owners discover bit-tech and a desire to mod?

6. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

In other news: water is wet!

7. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Gabe Newell also complained about dual core processors. As much as I love his games, the man is just a whiney arsehole.
    Adoption of new DX versions is always a bit slow, especially when the last version was so excellent.

8. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Developers should stop bitching about it and start making use of it!

I'm sure it was the same with the new DX9 from 8 when we got XP (it did happen like that didn't it? I cant remember perfectly now).

bloody developers, get on with it! (that goes for the ones I'm working with at the moment as well, you rat *******s, get on with it!!) ahem, </rant>

9. koola

koola Minimodder

Well I'm staying on WinXP with my DX9 as Vista/DX10 is just not worth the extra money/upgrade. I hope and pray MS release DX10 or 11 for XP as that will be the only time I will upgrade tbh.

10. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

DX9 wasnt limited to XP stopping Win2k users from using it though.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

But consoles have nothing to do with directX, it's a PC only thing isn't it? There should be no reason why DX10 features can't be used on the 360 and PS3 AFAIK, with the exception that the GPUs aren't designed with DX10 features in mind. But I'm sure I read somewhere it's possible.

12. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Apparently DX10 is available on XP 64bit, so maybe is rather wrong, ha ha.

Sam

13. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

It is. The reason the Xbox360 is getting so many ports like Bioshock is that it's dx9, it was developed to be like the PC.
    The PS3 uses OpenGL (with some added insturctions I think) and the Wii probably uses OpenGL too.

Without an API like DX of OGL console gaming would be pretty dead, there would be no way to develop games cheaply and effectively.

14. riggs

riggs ^_^

Just out of interest, is there any news on the dual-core Source update? I'm yet to play HL2:Ep1...wanting to wait until my C2D will be utilised to it's full potential (seems a bit of a waste only using 50% CPU time).

15. K

K 528491

I don't think the Wii does use Open GL... But otherwise that's bang on, the 360's GPU is Direct X 9 only.

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It really won't make the game any better, I'd play it now

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

The 360's GPU has similar capabilities to DX9, but it's not DX9. There are some extra things it can do that DX9 GPUs can't and there are other things that it can - that's why Microsoft provides the XNA developer suite, so that devs can port 360 games to PC with relative ease. What it isn't though is simply plugging the 360 code into a PC and getting it to work.

18. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I agree with Gabe that it was a mistake to release dx10 only on vista. If it would have been released on XP also, there would have been more support for it from the gamedevelopers. Why should they invest to create a dx10 game for 2.3% people.

Dont get me wrong i realy love to see some real dx10 bases eyecandy, i have a 88x waiting for it. I first thought that bioshock had some, but appearently there is not any difference. I saw a lot of screenshots comparisons on some forum. (i think it was the 2kgames forum, not sure) That was a mayor downer. Especialy that a dx9 game can look that good.

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

We'll have some info on this soon... I've been working like a nutter to get this BioShock PC evaluation done :)

20. K

K 528491

Well yeah, I just meant it's not gonna be doing any DirectX 10 stuff basically.

Tags: Add Tags