1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black screen on boot? Need help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TGH-odin, 31 Aug 2007.

1. TGH-odin

TGH-odin Swedish Modder

Okay, ive asked for help on swedish computersites with so far no luck. Id be thinking folks around heres a bit more clever ;)
    I got my self som computerparts for a mod im doing. installed all wires, RAM, PSU. Everythings seems to be correct. When i boot, the computer sounds normal, though i has no buildin errorspeaker. But i get no picture on screen, the screens sensen a graficcard since it doesnt ask me to chack connection, but its all black. MY setup:

MOBO: Asus PSGD1-VM mATX
    CPU: Intel Celeron 2,8 ghz
    RAM: Kingston 512MB DDR
    HDD: Maxtor 80 GB SATA 7200rpm
    PSU: Micro ATX 350 W, should be enought by far
    Grafics: Onbord, builtin VGA

12VATX is connected ofc :) Please help me

2. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Hi, welcome to the forums.
    I would really advise trying to connect a speaker to the motherboard, maybe borrow one from another pc?
    Without any speaker to hear the post beeps, the problem could almost be anything, the post beeps really do help to narrow down what the issue might be, without them, your guess is as good as mine. :geek:

3. TGH-odin

TGH-odin Swedish Modder

ill go fect for a speaker, brb

4. TGH-odin

TGH-odin Swedish Modder

damn, i couldnt find any. I guess i cant use a 2.0 sys with 3,5 and hook it to the onboard audio.

5. Delphium

After looking up your board, I could only find P5GD1-VM which I assume you had ment.

For this board it does not pass the post beeps from the motherboard though to the onboard sound card, so connecting a set of speakers to the onboard sound cards 3.5mm jack socket will not give you any post beeps.

The image below is from the manual, you need to connect a speaker to this speaker connector in order to haer any of the beeps or warnings.
    [​IMG]

6. TGH-odin

TGH-odin Swedish Modder

Btw, i cand get my Grafic card to fit anywhere, i guess my gc is AGP, but havent the bord got it?

7. Delphium

The board has an integrated onboard AGP graphics card, there are no AGP slots on this board, only PCI and PCI-Express, so you will need to use a PCI-E graphics card should you wish to use anything other than the onboard card.

Though personally I would not even bother installing extra hardware untill you have got the board booting.

8. TGH-odin

TGH-odin Swedish Modder

I just wonderred incase the onbord GC was the problem, im not gonna play games on it so id like to use the onboar, cheaper and smaller.

9. TGH-odin

TGH-odin Swedish Modder

OKay, about the speakerthing. I found a MOBO with builtinspeaker. By looking on underside it seemes to be soldered with 2 pins. SInce i dont need this paticular MOBO, can i desolder the mic, hook it onto a 2pincontact or like HDLED and put it on speaker on ASUS MOBO?

10. TGH-odin

TGH-odin Swedish Modder

11. Delphium

WHOA hold on there, DO NOT attach 5v line from your PSU to that socket!!! You will likely fry your motherboard.
    Use the two pins at either end, the "speaker out" (black) and the "5v" (red)
    Like this below...
    [​IMG]

12. TGH-odin

TGH-odin Swedish Modder

OKay, ill go solder a little. Hang on

13. TGH-odin

TGH-odin Swedish Modder

Finshed with the solerings. On mic one side says +, could you mark the exact pins i shold connect em to?

14. Delphium

+ (postive) is red
    - (negative) is black

So the + would connect to the "5v" and the - would connect to what the manual calls "speaker out"
    [​IMG]

15. TGH-odin

TGH-odin Swedish Modder

Connected them like above, no sound at all, though wehen i soldered wire to the speaker i heard a noise, not load, when the solderiron was close, could i have damaged the speaker?

16. Delphium

You may well have done, you can test the speaker by connecting the wires to a 1.5v battery, it should make a kinda click/pop sound as you tap the wire on the battery, if it dont make a sound, then yes the speaker could be damaged, if you do get sound from the battery, but no sound when plugged into the motherboard, then we can start looking at it being a hardware issue, like a dead motherobard, or mis matched ram for example.

17. TGH-odin

TGH-odin Swedish Modder

when i like rub the wire towards + i here clickpop/sshhh sound, har to explain, a bit like connect to a modem without Broadband.

18. Delphium

Then the speaker is working fine.

Try booting the pc, with no PCI/PCI-E cards installed, and just 1 stick of ram in the slot nearest the cpu.
    If you get no beeps, power down the system, remove all the ram, try boot again.
    This would normally make the mobo output a continuous beep though the speaker, this would indicate that the motherboard is likely to be ok.

Check here for post beep codes...

May I aslo advise you chekout this page and try out the flow diagram, it may help you locate the faulty bit of hardware.
    :thumb: