1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC media center question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by isho, 3 Sep 2007.

1. isho

isho What's a Dremel?

My question is, what kind of card or card specs do i need to get to allow me to play movies and such on my TV. Preferably i do not want to use s-video. Thanks in advance
    Ian

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

This shouldn't be in Project logs.

You really only need a 128mb card to run those things, nothing more than $50 and you'll be perfectly set for standard def TV. If you want to play HD content (HDCP protected in perticular) you'll need a new HDCP enabled card which will be much more expensive.

3. isho

isho What's a Dremel?

sry i should have stated before, this is a question for a media center project i plan to start working on. and thank you.

4. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Still, Section 7 Article 34 Row 3 states that all project logs must contain actual work and photos in the first link, or else are subject to deletion. Don't worry mods will straighten it out for you.

5. isho

isho What's a Dremel?

ahhhh ok, anyway does anybody have anymore htpc tips?

6. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Get a MATX motherboard with a dual core proc and an 8600. Then put a gig of memory (2 for vista) and as big of HDD's you can afford. For the case check out Lian-li's slim cases

7. Upriverpaddler

Upriverpaddler What's a Dremel?

The minimum specs for any HTPC (assuming you want to spend a minimum and still get good results) will always depend on the TV. You'll need a TV with a VGA or DVI connection on the TV for a reasonable picture (HDMI will be higher end).

As for 720p, 1080i, or 1080p heres a very rough rule of thumb to get you started.
    If you can run a PC monitor at 1024 X 768 with no problems, then you'll get good performance on a 720p TV.
    If you can run your monitor at 1920 X 1200 with no problems, then you'll get good performance on a 1080p TV.
    A PC will not output 1080i. But if you have HD cable or satellite, they do.

You will get unacceptable performance trying to hook a computer up to an analog TV, no matter what kind of PC you have.

8. isho

isho What's a Dremel?

well the computer will be hooked up to an anolog tv, there is just no way around that.

9. isho

isho What's a Dremel?

Ok, so far it looks like im gonna be working with a 1Ghz p3 processor, from all i have read this should work perfect. Im still working on finding a tv tuner card. But if anyone who has built one of these could help. will 1Ghz be enough. I just plan on playing music, watching dvds, xvids, and divx files on it.

10. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

For standard definition TV, it should be OK. As for a TV card, Hauppage NovaT-500.

Go for XP MCE over Vista.

11. isho

isho What's a Dremel?

That is the plan, to use XP MCE

12. isho

isho What's a Dremel?

will windows media center edition work on a 1.3 ghz processor. the requirements say 1.6ghz. does anyone know for sure.

13. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

If it doesn't try linux (cheper and more realible !)

14. seebul

seebul Minimodder

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but whats wrong with vista MCE? I'm thinking of buying it and then usuing an xbox 360 as a media extender

15. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

This:
    Nothing per se, (I like Vista), but on a 1GHz P3, MCE will work much better!

16. phillj

phillj What's a Dremel?

I have an XFX 7600GS card and it can handle 1080P fine (what more do you need from a mediacenter, at least until they bring out the next generation of High Def, but how long will that take).

If I had to buy a card now though I would probably go for an Nvidia 8500 (on board HD Bluray decoding!) as they are only £50. You will need one with HDCP for HD/BR and HDMI (if you want to put sound down the same link) DVI if not (all depends on your telly, maybe you don't have HDMI.

Tags: