1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for a volume knob?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skeletor, 12 Sep 2007.

1. skeletor

skeletor modder in the making.

Alright, I am planning on starting a case build. I am thinking about doing one of those build a htpc in the casing of an old reciever. I like the look and idea of that, but I would have to have the volume knob control volume for the system. Now I am looking for something that would work for me. I have seen about the griffen powermate, but then I heard that it doesn't work so well with vista. And that is what I am running. So I would like to know if anyone knows of another one somewhere, or how I would be able to possibly make my own? Or even if that powermate will work with vista, because if I can't get something to control the volume with that knob, then I just wouldn't be able to do this case. It just wouldn't seem right to have a big 'ol volume knob that didn't do anything.

2. riggs

riggs ^_^

Not sure about the Vista compatibility of the Powermate, but even the XP drivers aren't all that great. Seems as though the Mac drivers get priority over the XP ones.

How about using the PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/8 interface from Phidgets, plus one of their rotation sensors? It may be a little long winded (and a tad expensive), but imo it'd be a great little DIY project.

3. skeletor

Alright, that looks like it would be a bit long winded as you put it. I will definately look it over though. lol someone wouldn't happen to have some sort of a tutorial for this?

4. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

there is a guide some where on these fourms for making one

5. riggs

riggs ^_^

Do you mean this thread?

6. fri2219

fri2219 What's a Dremel?

7. skeletor

I will have to look at that. I do like the simplicity of that. It would also seem to be very open ended to. Now I just have to finish all my planning and figure out what all I am going to need and how I'm going to get it :clap:

Then convince the wife I need it ;)

8. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

yep that would be the one