1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo’s Wii leads the console war

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 13 Sep 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

I'd buy a Wii if I could ever find one. They're ALWAYS sold out at every store around here...by contrast there's always 5-10 PS3's and XBOX360's just laying around :p

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well, not surprising, everyone and their grandma (literally) is buying the thing.

Amazing how a console with so few notable games has sold so well.

4. sbarts

sbarts What's a Dremel?

It's selling so well because it's fun and relatively cheap compared to the 360 and PS3 and appeals to those who don't normally play computer games so it has a bigger market than the other two. I use to be a PS fan but after sonys palaver with the PS3 and it's stupidly high price i'm glad nintendo is kicking sonys ass.

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I'm enjoying my Wii, I haven't had much of a chance to play it though. So far I've managed to complete Rayman Raving Rabids and I've almost finished Zelda. I was planning to play through Metroid Prime 1 & 2 as well as Eternal Darkness before the end of the Uni hols, but I don't think I have time now.

It is a good system, and yes my Gran has had a go. :D

6. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Thing is, the Wii isn't a hardcore gaming system. Yes, it's a gaming console but it's certainly not up with the likes of the PS3 or X360. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. But it's what people have already said, it's a fun, family or party game machine with a few decent games.

I have one and it's great fun when you have a group of people round enjoying the novelty of the Wii remotes, etc.

But as far as true gaming fun goes, I don't rate it that high as I never use the Wii on my own -- it's either the PS3 or the X360 (or the PC!).

So I can see why it's sold very well: entirely new UI which makes its fun and easy for non-gaming/hardcore people to use, socially-centric games like Wii Sports & Wario and is also significantly cheaper than the other two. But I couldn't see it being based on it being the "best" console out there. Not even for a second. It simply has mass market appeal.

7. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Now the only thing left is for developers to stop putting their 3rd string devs on the system and put some actual effort into the games. Sucks that it has to get light versions/hand-me-down titles like Umbrella Chronicles and Manhunt while PS3/Xbox 360 get RE5, and GTA.

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this was kind of predictable that could happen....

9. Dvs98SK

Dvs98SK What's a Dremel?

The Wii is just like the Pokemon craze. It will slow down once the kids realize there V-Tech oh i mean Wii has no good games. The 360 is really cheap now by the way.

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think the news image should be replaced with this

EDIT: Woops that was a bit big

Direct link

11. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Wow, what a surprise! A console that costs almost twice as less is leading in sales...also don't get me wrong (and I've experienced the Wii myself) the Wii is a great console with innovation in mind, but with little to no good games out (btw they are $50 new which is insane considering the elementary graphics) I can't understand how it is selling so well even with the smaller price tag. Honestly, I think that because people can't experience the Wii in stores anymore (atleast where I live) due to the liability of someone hurting themselves, people want to experience it more, so with all the hype surrounding it along with the affordable price tag people expect it to be amazing out of the box when in reality it isn't. Being a multiplayer-based console you will have to spend a pretty good penny for more accessories which I think is a disadvantage to the low pricetag along with games starting at $50 new (should be $40 imo) which is another downfall...but once you get past it the Wii is an innovative, fun console that is only lacking in the game arena, but I believe once Xmas hits Nintendo should have some exciting titles debuting which will help justify the reason to buy one...or so I would hope...

12. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I think that this is to be expected, as it is the most user friendly and family compatible of all the consoles, but at the same time I think that it is unfortunate, as I think that the Xbox 360 is a much better consoles, and at the moment has much better games, and is much more powerful. But, good on Nintendo for making such a good product.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The Wii sells well because it's a sensibly priced, FUN, different console with a good image and some nice innovation. Alright it doesn't have masses of brilliant games yet, but Wii sports with a few mates is a fantastic way to spend a couple of evenings a week.

Power and hardcore ability are nothing without the ability to have some fun with a console. This is what the Wii has in spades. I'd buy one without hesitation if we didn't have one at our uni house already. It's a great little console tbh.

14. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

heh...old news here

15. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I guess it was pretty obvious... Nintendo was smart going for the a people's console instead of a hardcore console. M$ and s0ny baaaka!

16. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

I agree with Proxess, Nintendo was smart to market this to the mainstream as a game console and as a seemingly more "fun" console. As for me I won't buy a party system unless there are games for it that I would play by myself. I want MP3, but 1 game isn't enough to sell the system for me. Party games are fun with friends, but I already have a DS that works for that, as well as many other activities we could do.

17. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Personally I found the Wii very samey, gcames are the same as games on the gamecube and well every previous nintendo console and well funnily enough the graphics look ever so slightly better than the gamecubes, only with a new control method so instead of doing the same controller movements I do the same monotonous movements with a retangular shaped controller.

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

someday some company will make a game for the wii thats graphics will blow your socks off.

19. naokaji

naokaji whatever

@devdevil85
    dont forget that 50$ for a game is cheap compared to other consoles....

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's not really possible though, not with the hardware, and it doesn't matter anyway, I think Wii level of graphics are perfectly adequate, although I'm not complaining how Mass Effect is shaping up in the graphics department.

Tags: Add Tags