1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant radio shack staff are retards

Discussion in 'General' started by notatoad, 14 Sep 2007.

1. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

so i went into radio shack today and asked the guy where they kept their ethernet cable. he looks at me blankly, then after a few seconds: "oh, that's the same as cat5, right"

me: yes

"it's over here" as he takes me to the cables, then, looking closer:
    "oh, sorry, we only have cat5e, i think thats for something else"

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

And this surprises you why, exactly? :eyebrow:

After all, what do you expect for a bit over minimum wage?

3. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

I've never understood why this happens. Geeks need jobs to right, most geeks would apply to places like RS or tandy or maplins or whatever and obviously put down an interest in electronics. They go in for an interview, the manager see's they know there stuff and would be perfect for the job yet.. they're not hired?!

4. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

They lack 'people skills' right? Or are shy in an interview?

Im not overly confident in interviews and never really sell myself, but when ive met and become friendly ( not that kind of friendly ) with the staff im probably the craziest one there...

5. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

That's not half as bad as the crap I have to listen to at Currys. Whenever customers ask a sales rep for something that isn't a TV, Dishwasher or laptop it seems I have to step in and explain what it is. Some of them just don't have a clue what the difference is between devices either, so I almost train some of them by explaining how camcorders work and what memory card formats there are etc. The ones I like, anyway.

<A88>

6. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

best way to go to an interview ive found is too not think too much lol

7. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I just ask where things are now, i dont bother them with helping me because i think i can read the information slapped on the box/ label my self....

I overheard staff in cash generator telling one customer that the dvd player he was selling can use dvd+r discs, which in his opinion were somehow better than -r discs? :S

8. naokaji

naokaji whatever

the problem is that shops arent picky enough about the knowledge of the people they hire... really, the shops should simply start to hire people that know what they are talking about.

9. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

i've found it seems to matter WHEN you go.. between 8am and noon... the workers actually seem to know what they are talking about... after that it just gets worse by the hour till your talking to someone that normally does stock and don't speak the same language as you.

10. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

why didn't you just ask him where he kept the cat5? That would have eliminated all the issues.

11. tacticus

tacticus What's a Dremel?

while it may be pedantic you are at least partially to blame for the initial confusion

I mean he could of sold you any of the cables listed on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_physical_layer and still sell you an ethernet cable.

Also geeks\nerds\"people who knowstuff" don't work in places like radio shack because they can get a better job elsewhere so someone who would of instivly know what you were talking about would probably we working elsewhere because it has a greater money to crap stuff ratio

the cat5e part is just stupid sales people

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

What's a "geek" doing buying at Radio Shack prices? :eyebrow: If you want knowledgeable staff go to a small 'family' shop, not a chain.
    They're competing standards, you'll find lots of true geeks claiming one is better than the other. In fact, probably only true geeks would give a damn either way. :lol:

13. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Hey hey now! Don't insult the mentally impaired by comparing them to these "people" (I am not sure if you could even legally call their species that). Have some manors!

14. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Ooh I want some!

15. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

If I need parts in a pinch I'll go to RS; but I never ask them for help, unless they just rearranged the store and I don't know where stuff has been moved to. The funny thing is that they openly admit that I know more about their stuff than they do; and the ones that know me don't even bother asking if I need any help.

16. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Minimum wage typical retail shop floor workers.
    You can't expect more out of them than that really.

17. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

it seems like most people that sells technology don't know what they are talking about. (thinking especially shops that sell TVs, stereos and so on.)

It's not easy to keep up with the speed the technology evolves at, but what really piss me off is that they try to make the customer believe that they need more than they do, or sell them less than they need. (the latter is pretty rare, though)

I was looking for a TV a while ago. i went trough several shops to check prices and so on. I also asked a few questions about stuff. (all though i knew the answer. i like to keep those people busy, and make them sweat a bit ;) ) Several times i got the answer "i believe so". Why can't they just be honest and say that they don't know?

One of the shops i went to had a salesman that actually knew what he was talking about. And in the end he (the shop, that is.) got my money. (bought 3 TVs, actually)

18. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I just had to explain to a guy on the end of a telephone what a modem and a router were and why they are not the same thing... Apparently virgin no longer train their staff!

19. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I went into a local motor parts shop for an ignition timing light.

I was shown to the torch section.

Brilliant.

20. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

LOL

I once had to tell an employee at Advance Auto Parts how to change a battery.

Tags: