1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 360 finally overtakes PS2 in US sales

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 14 Sep 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

If you compare Sony to M$, Sony isn't at the bottom. It's only true when you seperate both consoles out by themselves.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2007
  3. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

You're comparing a PS3 to a Lexus and a 360 to a Hyundai... dude, that's not even a comparable comparison.

And as for profit, that would still be Nintendo on top. Nintendo actually makes a profit on all of its consoles sold. Microsoft and Sony lose money on profit sales.

4. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Sony profits from PS2, along with software sales. It doesn't profit from PS3, but does from PS3 software sales. PSP still sells decent. Chart wise, yes it looks like Sony is at the bottom, but they are raking in profits purely from PS2, possibly PSP, and software wise on PS3. Goodnews for Xbox though, finally overtaking a last-gen console on the back of a price drop. Wonder if it will keep that lead though over the heavily saturated PS2.

5. mcshaggy

mcshaggy What's a Dremel?

Well, it's well known that Microsoft doesn't turn a profit on the 360 console, and I'm fairly certain the PS3 doesn't turn a profit either... whereas the Wii is known to be generating a decent profit per console. So, in that sense, Nintendo is "winning". But, you can't look at that. Microsoft/Sony's 360/PS3 profits come from games, and of course Nintendo's main profit also comes from games. It's fair to say PS3's game sales probably aren't the best, while Microsoft is probably doing just fine. However, I think overall, the Wii is making a killing.

I hope I'm making sense, or I'm not blatantly wrong. Both are possible. I'm tired.

6. leviathan18

leviathan18 What's a Dremel?

sony is making more money than MS in the gaming sector but nintendo is owning them big time wii+ds+gba (yes the gba still sells) and all of them give profit in hw and sw to nintendo

7. devdevil85

I was actually trying to compare 360 Elite/PS3 to Wii, so sorry for the confusion. Either way, I just edited it out of my post.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2007
  8. devdevil85

You're probably right shaggy. Nintendo is making a killing, and it's not just on their novelty console, but also on the necessary accessories that go with buying one.

9. mcshaggy

Yep, I personally have a Wii remote and I don't even own a Wii. People are buying Nintendo Wii stuff left and right.

Also have to take into consideration the virtual console. Lots of extremely popular titles in there, people eating them up left and right.

10. devdevil85

One word: WHY :duh:

Sure, but you've heard of ROMs though, right that you can grab for free? Either way you still have to pay a pretty penny for those older emulated titles....but I like how you pointed that out because that's probably another main reason for the Wii's success....are there a lot of older titles to choose from vs. o like let's say Xbox Live Arcade or the Playstation Network?

11. mcshaggy

A lot of my friends have a Wii, and I have a bluetooth enabled laptop. My Mii stays on there, and I can play around with my remote on my laptop for fun. I also never have to worry about waiting for my turn at a friends house, since I have my own controller where usually people just have one or two with their console.

Yep, personally I love the virtual console. Yeah you could get free roms, but the ability to play them natively on the Wii is just cool as balls.

12. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Does the Wiimote work through bluetooth? I was thinking of getting one but I'm not sure how it works on a pc. Someone explain to me how it works, for both Win and Lin.

13. mcshaggy

Yes, it works through bluetooth. There is software and drivers for both linux and windows. Google can tell you more than I.

14. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

to be honest mate its a rare console that makes profit, until a few years into production, most companies usually make there cash through game licencing. The wii might be an excepting because it doesnt use super dooper hardware... still, it seams to have worked for them!

15. mcshaggy

I know consoles don't make profit. I was just telling him that.

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I thought the 360 was making profit per unit now?

17. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

you gotta love the PS2

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

me 2

19. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Nintendo has made a profit on all of its consoles right from launch. And no, the Virtual Boy doesn't count.

20. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I bet that several Sony execs are flipping their numbers graphs upside down and then trying to figure out how spin their new data to the press.

Im actually amazed that the PS2 is still selling so well. I know they have the slim remakes and stuff but I cant believe people are still buying them. Must just be because its so cheap.

Tags: Add Tags