1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Favourite Hero and Villain

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Bungle, 17 Sep 2007.

1. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Just thought I'd knock up a thread about who's your favourite Hero and Villan ever to grace the Computer screen.

Hero
    For me Max Payne is the ultimate computer game Hero. The dark, lone gunman, tormented by his past. The voice over for the character (by James McCaffery) is perfect for our Hero.

Villan
    Kane From Command and Conquer (played by Joseph D. Kucan). The man that made the tiberium hell his own personal religion. Great on screen presence and delivers those lines with evil dripping from his lips. Superb.

2. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

Hero -
    Viewtiful joe

Love the word Viewtiful, he's ace, has amazing moves and the games are superb!

Villian -
    Bowser or Dr. Robotnik (before sonic went 3d) gotta love the classics!

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Villian(s)
    Glukkons from Oddworld

Hero
    Guybrush Threepwood

4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Hero? I like Duke Nukem (in Duke 3D, not in the other retarded games). Over the top, 'great' one liners. Saving the Earth from alien scum. What's not to like?

Totally agree; the acting in the CnC FMVs from kane is better than I've seen in films! Kane is spookily scary.

5. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Hero: Solid Snake

villain: Flood Drones with weapons from Halo2

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'm tempted to say Lechuck and Guybrush, but that's a bit obvious. Let me think about it...

Heroes would have to be Jade and Double H from Beyond Good and Evil. The two make a great pair, communicating and talking as they go and with some truly gripping moments between them in the game. That bit where Jade is being made to run towards the camera away from the Alpha Sections and the view keeps switching to panorama of the rooftop chase, then because shes running towards the camera the player never sees the drop - and she jumps automatically and Double H has to swing down and grab her and misses and...

Suffice it to say that bit left me with sweat pouring off me.

After that, I'm very tempted to say The Prince of Persia and Garret from Thief. Thief is a massively underappreciated game and, considering that the guy who plays Garret is also one of the developers, I think the voice acting is fantastic. He's such a dark, moody and believeable character.

Villains? Hm.

Well, The Trickster from Thief 1 and Karras from Thief 2 would make the list again - they were both just so scary and believeable again. The Tricksy Ways That the Pagan Godsy-Man Spoke Was Just So Creepsy! Karras lisp and fantatical belief was pretty freaky too.

Other Villains on the list would be Irenicus from Baldurs Gate II (he was a perfect adversary), or the player himself in Planescape: Torment. Thomas Page was pretty good in Deus Ex as well.

Off the top of my head though, as a generic footsoldier my vote would go to the Tramps in Condemned. They were scary, realistic, perfectly animated and foul-mouthed. Unpredictable and fun to fight too.

Garret and Karras get my vote though if I had to narrow it down right now.

7. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

Ico, a true hero.

Albert Wesker takes top villian billing.

8. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Hero: James Pond from Robocod on the Amiga.

Villain: M. Bison from Streetfighter 2.

9. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

:clap:

10. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Blasphemer! It's Bob, not Thomas! :p
    (Though, admittedly, he looks like more of a Thomas than a Bob to me..)

Hero: Raziel & Kain

Villain: Raziel & Kain

Both from the Legacy of Kain series.

Yeah, so I cheated, but any game series that can turn the very concept of heroes and villains on its head so well deserves to be mentioned in my book.
    It's one of those cases where you'll consider someone a hero or villain and be forced to ask yourself: "But to whom are they a hero or villain?"

Even though at the end of Defiance, both turn out to be heroes in trying to save Nosgoth from the 'Elder God' and the Hylden, their villianous, self-serving natures provide their driving forces throughout the story, I think.

Anybody with a taste for amazing scripting, enthralling storytelling, fantastic voice-acting and well thought-out gameplay owes it to themself to play every game from the Legacy of Kain series.

Also, like Joe, I'm rather fond of Garret fom Thief as a Hero.
    (Stop stealing my taste in games, Joe! This is getting creepy!)

Another villain vote from me goes to the mother of all villainous cyber entities (and a few fleshy annelid entities too)...SHODAN.
    A genderless AI that manages to be effeminately sexy, despite being an absolute bitch with serious speech impediments? That's class-A villain material to me.

I also quite like the Master from Fallout as a villain. Another one of those cases where you find yourself questioning the ethics of your own fight against him.
    Being forced by your own conscience to stop and think for a moment before delivering the killing blow to a villain is a powerful way of enthralling the player..

----Other heroes that I like:

--Solid Snake & Big Boss (Walking, gravel-voiced clichés in most regards, but damn cool ones with some fantastic backstory)
    --JC Denton (A nigh-emotionless protagonist who still manages to be interesting and has the mental fortitude to question his own ethics in the realm of global politics. Also, he wears shades on stealthy night missions, along with Stompy boots and a trench coat. His vision is augmented.)

----Other Villains that I like:

--Sephiroth (Had fairly vague, ill-thought-out reasons for destroying the world, but he was damn cool in doing so.)
    --Microsoft (We'd complain if we had nothing to complain about!)

Last edited: 18 Sep 2007
  11. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Favorite hero: Solid Snake

Favorite villain: Krelian (from Xenogears)

12. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Favorite hero: XR7TMI, runs around on Justice server.
    Favorite villain: Risu, not sure what server she's on.

...what?

(OK, for all you non-City of Heroes players...)

Hero: Either the Master Chief or Dr. Freeman
    Villain: Shen Yu, from Evil Genius - he's so cute when he's plotting.

13. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Well if we're talking CoH.... My favorite hero and villain are...

Urobolus- My Claws/DA scrapper made way back when both claws and dark armor sucked a mean one

Final Archon- My Mercs/Dark mastermind and only 50.

Both on Justice.

14. CardJoe

:duh: I knew I missed someone out! SHODAN rrruu-ruu-rruu-ruuu-rulessssss, Hacker!

I wonder what it is about speech impediments that makes good villains? I remember in the original design, Breen was supposed to have an utterly different look and a speech impediment. Hm.

I'm not sure about JC Denton as a hero though - he was flat and lifeless, with personality provided only by the player. Don't get me wrong, that's a great thing, but not good hero material.

Was thinking about this some more last night and I think my WORST heroes and villains would have to be:

Villain: The bad guy from the end of Oblivion (cameron something) and the badguy from the end of Morrowind. Both of them were such fantastic let-downs and all too easily defeated. Oh, and Nihilanth from the end of HL1.

Hero: Grunt from Quake.

15. fri2219

fri2219 What's a Dremel?

Hero: Peter Pepper...
    [​IMG]
    Villain: 3-way tie between Mr Hot Dog, Mr Egg, and Mr Pickle...
    [​IMG]

16. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Favourite Hero is : Holt from MoHAA

Villian - hmmmm don't really have one tbh

17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Hero: Raziel & Kain

Villain: Raziel & Kain

I wish they'd make another soul reaver/ lok game they were great!

18. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Hero: Master Cheif (Halo)

Villian: Kane (Command and Conquer)

That pretty much sums it up.

Sam

19. CardJoe

Master Chief? Pfft. He's just so cut-out IMO. I think Halo is as great as the next man, but I never saw why the game was luaded so much for its characters and story - there's nothing in any of the Halo games which ever made me feel like a 7ft tool cyborg, whereas Thief did make me feel like a master pickpocket.

20. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

Hero: Has to be Duke Nukem, so cool.

Villan: Kane, without a doubt, Kane.