1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V So if you want a high capacity mp3 player these days, you're screwed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elz, 18 Sep 2007.

1. Elz

Elz miaow

Hello, I'm new :)

And as my first contribution to this forum, I'm going to complain (obviously) :D

What's with all the flash memory these days? I've had to manage without an mp3 player for over a year now, and I'm longing for a new one. Except as far as I can tell, even with the flurry of recent player announcements, if you want a mp3/pmp with over 60gb of storage, you have only 2 options: Apple and Archos. I've been looking at the Classic and 605 ...neither are appealing for various reasons.

Yes flash memory is nifty, but what am i to do with all my music??? I've long been a fan of the Creative players, and that new Zen looks good. Oh if only they could slap a hard disk inside.

Life is sad without portable music :(

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Totally agree. Want a large (ie 60gb) player but DON'T want an iPod or one of the huge Creative's.
    If there's any out there that i've missed, please enlighten me however!

3. Elz

Elz miaow

60gb is OK, i think there are quite a few options there. But OVER 60gb is a problem. I need at least 80 to make me feel comfortable that I won't need more space soon.

You should check out http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/ - they have quite a few 60GB models (no creatives though).

4. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Ipod_Nano_200gb_Instructions/Page_1

Problem solved.

No not really, but I got a kick out of it. Honestly, the flash memory is because thats where the market is these days. High capacity isn't where the money goes because people want the latest style accessory, not MP3 player. Serious music buffs get shafted on it, but the companies can't do much because the larger models can't be marketed as well as smaller ones.

5. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

how do you guys have 60+ gigs of music? would you even listen to much more than maybe a couple hundred different songs consistently. or is it that you want an external hd that plays music? and why not an ipod?

6. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

Well, if you want really high capacity, get a new iPod. Although I dislike them personally (never had anything but problems with mine), they're coming out with that 160 gigabyte one they announced very recently.

7. Elz

Elz miaow

OK firstly that 200gb nano is hilarious :lol:
    You're right GuitarBizarre, style is the important factor. But i do feel shafted :(

Secondly, my music collection is about 50gb now, and growing all the time. Whilst I want a player primarily for music, it would be nice to have extra storage for carrying files around, not to mention video which is obviously much more space-hungry than music.

I'm more tempted by the iPod now than ever, but I'd rather have something that isn't as restrictive in terms of file types and transfers

8. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

You should check out the Zune. Cost me £120 to import it from the US so its quite cheep compared to an iPod. It comes with a 30Gb but there are plenty of guides showing how simple it is to buy another HD and replace the 30Gb with, say, a 120Gb Drive.

Zune + 120Gb drive would still be less than the new iPods depending on where you got them.

Plus I think the Zune looks quite stylish

9. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

iRiver is another set of products you should look at, the H300 series come with 20gb, 40gb, 60gb and I beleive more recently 80gb versions, colour screen, mp3, wav, ogg, wma, asf, jpeg, bmp, gif, avi's encoded in xvid, FM radio, usb 2.0 to connect to your pc and a usb 1.0 host port to connect flash drives digital cameras and other mp3 players to transfer content to and from the iRiver, built-in mic with recorder as well as setting for external mic or line in, saves to wav or various mp3 formats.
    also require no software or drivers to be installed, ie it gets detected as a mass storage device when plugged into a pc, so great for use with multiple machines or on the go.
    Unit can recharge via mains or via usb, handy when out and about.
    18-24hours battery life with latest firmware.
    Ability to change the display style with different skins.
    quick review

If you can get one of these, i highly recomend them :geek:

10. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I have over 300 gigs of personal 320/v0 rips that I wish I could take with me. My Creative 20 gig doesn't hold much anymore! :D

11. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

When you say you have 80gb, do you have your entire music collection with you at all times?!

Actually, board members in general, do you have all your music with you at all times or do you have a lower capacity player and chose the kinda stuff I want to put on there.

I've got the 4GB NWS-706F sony and yes it maybe small, but the sound quality and noise cancelling is awesome, and it's physical size is brilliant, it doesn't pull my suit jacket out of shape or make it hang funny due to the weight.

12. Eraflo

Eraflo What's a Dremel?

Ive got about 3000 songs but I have a 256mb old pen style flash drive. I don't have time to listen to 256mb worth ever (4 hours stuck at the airport got close) so 60gb would be ridiculously overkill for someone like me which I'm guessing outnumber the "I need more than a lifetime of songs with me at all times" gang :)

13. Tsen

Tsen Steeped In Romance

I prefer being able to listen to any song I want whenever I want, which means I need to take my whole library with me. It's currently at 62 GB and growing. Plus if I toss a few movies on there...well, it gets a bit crowded.

14. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

i have some questions for you. how the hell did you get 300 gigs of movies/music? why do you have so many if you cant watch em all in your life consistently? what the hell does 320/v0 mean? also, do you even watch/listen 1% of 300 gigs of movies/music. honestly there is no need for that much crap in ones life.

edit: at tsen,
    if you took a play count of your songs i doubt that there is much more than 1000 songs at most that are consistently being played. also, you guys keep complaining about ipods but the new ipods are 80 and 160 gigs.............

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I don't have movies on there. That's just music. My whole collection. Actually I listen to music 9+ hrs a day at least 5 days a week while working. Believe me, you run out of stuff fairly regularly. I love music, and I have very WIDE tastes. 320 means 320-bit mp3 rips. v0 is the highest vbr mp3 rip.

See above for answer to that.

...you forgot the 'according to you' operative phrase in your post. :rock:

16. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

Agreed. And plus, for people with eclectic tastes (People like me for example), having a lot of space is almost a must, because you enjoy a LOT of different music. Its possible to amass hundreds of gigs of a single genre, and I suppose if thats all you listen to you can pick and choose without much worry since its all techno, but if you're anything like me, you'll have maybe a hundred random songs for comedy value that you'll want at all times, on top of the 30+ GB of assorted genres, any of which might scream 'listen to me' at any one time, depending on mood, on top of the high quality Rips of my own personal music that I use to show people and get opinions on my compositions.

It can quite easily get to the point where a 30/60GB player isn't enough space for what I want to do, let alone the paltry 16GB that the biggest flash memory players are these days.

17. Elz

Elz miaow

Sadly I can't find an 80gb version :( Thanks for the tip though! If i do find one i'll definately give it some attention.

18. Elz

Elz miaow

I personally prefer to have it all with me at all times. Once i have to start picking and choosing what goes on my player, all the magic is gone :)

I'm one of those with ecclectic tastes too, so there's little telling what mood i'll be in at any given time - i need it all with me, just in case! :D

19. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

20. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

ok. still seems like way o much music for anyone to listen to in ones life.